Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #151
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Has anyone ever tried to use vinyl sticker to "wrap" their colored plastics. I thought it would be a cheap, reversible, alternative to painting. (I have an orange bike, so there is only like 4 or 5 pieces of plastic) I asked my local vinyl shop, and he told me that it wouldn't work, and it would cost like $600.00!!! He said all of that without even looking at the bike... Just didn't know if any of you had tried it.

Ryan
Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #152
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Has anyone ever tried to use vinyl sticker to "wrap" their colored plastics. I thought it would be a cheap, reversible, alternative to painting. (I have an orange bike, so there is only like 4 or 5 pieces of plastic) I asked my local vinyl shop, and he told me that it wouldn't work, and it would cost like $600.00!!! He said all of that without even looking at the bike... Just didn't know if any of you had tried it.

Ryan

I have.

Bought a short strip of Oracal "wrapping" film (ORACAL® Series 970RA Wrapping Cast with RapidAir® Technology) and gave it my best shot.
With NO previous experience on this kind of stuff..

Unfortunately I only have these 2 low quality photos to show, but you'll get the big picture.

I'm pretty happy with the result, but I will keep my day job..
The bigger side parts (where logo is) are "undoable" (with single piece) because of their gazillion corners and bends. I asked a company a quote to do those, but they suggested painting those parts instead.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to leave the side panels (boring) grey or bite the bullet and have those painted matt black. The grey kinda hurts my eye (even though the saddle is grey as well).
Applying the film is pretty straight forward task but as one might guess practise makes perfect....or at least tolerable.
One good thing about Oracal film is that you are able (claim by Oracal) to remove it without any residue or markings up to four years from installation.

Durability? Remains to be seen.

-Miikka
Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #153
VeeNeck
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Cry To each is own.

Miikka, nice job cool style! But it pains me to see that you did that over the super nice matte gray panels. Now I will be down sizing to a F800GS from a brand new 1200GS and I really want the older gray panels over the white color. You did the reverse, to get the gray plastic panels the cost would be $1,700.

O' well, I still cant find any carbon fiber panels yet for the F800GS.
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #154
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

VeeNeck, don't worry...my panels are still grey underneath that winter camo dress. Too much spare time made me do this conversion. I'll give it a go for this summer and then decide which dress she will be wearing in the future.

Have you asked for a quote to get the panels painted matte grey..? Should be wayyyy less than 1700$. Of course, if you're sold with that exact BMW matte grey tone it could prove difficult to accomplish it 100% by random paint shop.

Good luck with your grey matter!

-Miikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
Miikka, nice job cool style! But it pains me to see that you did that over the super nice matte gray panels. Now I will be down sizing to a F800GS from a brand new 1200GS and I really want the older gray panels over the white color. You did the reverse, to get the gray plastic panels the cost would be $1,700.

O' well, I still cant find any carbon fiber panels yet for the F800GS.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #155
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
I went to 2 graphics shops this week. One of them told me that they couldn't wrap it and if thy could, it would cost 600 bucks!!! The other one told me no problem and show me pictures of a bunch of dirtbikes they had done. They can print any color, picture, or pattern. If I bring them the plastics, they will charge me 100-125 bucks. The other place wouldn't even look at my bike...

Also, that is only for the orange pieces on my bike, I was planning on leaving the black side pieces alone.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #156
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikka View Post

I have.

Bought a short strip of Oracal "wrapping" film (ORACAL® Series 970RA Wrapping Cast with RapidAir® Technology) and gave it my best shot.

Unfortunately I only have these 2 low quality photos to show, but you'll get the big picture.

I'm pretty happy with the result, but I will keep my day job..
The bigger side parts (where logo is) are "undoable" (with single piece) because of their gazillion corners and bends. I asked a company a quote to do those, but they suggested painting those parts instead.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to leave the side panels (boring) grey or bite the bullet and have those painted matt black. The grey kinda hurts my eye (even though the saddle is grey as well).
Applying the film is pretty straight forward task but as one might guess practise makes perfect....or at least tolerable.
One good thing about Oracal film is that you are able (claim by Oracal) to remove it without any residue or markings up to four years from installation.

Durability? Remains to be seen.

-Miikka
Congrats on what looks like a very cool addition to the ride. Love the look!!
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #157
DidYouSeeThat
Uhhhh... Where?

Oddometer: 189
I like the Army Jeep Green or the Orange.
I think I'd buy the Orange between the two, but I think Bikes shoul dbe a bright color...

My jeep is Mango Orange, my GS is Yellow. My cars were gray and white before that.. BORING!!!!!!

My wife hates the Ornage Jeep... That's ok. She has a car of her own.

But pick the color YOU like... Then you cant go wrong!!!!

08 TE250 - with 300cc Kit
10 Rubicon
DidYouSeeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #158
DidYouSeeThat
Uhhhh... Where?

Oddometer: 189
Opps. I did not make it all the way t the end....

Very nice!!!
Congrats!!!
08 TE250 - with 300cc Kit
10 Rubicon
DidYouSeeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #159
VeeNeck
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Eh? Grey matter?

Quote:
VeeNeck, don't worry...my panels are still grey underneath that winter camo dress. Too much spare time made me do this conversion. I'll give it a go for this summer and then decide which dress she will be wearing in the future.

Have you asked for a quote to get the panels painted matte grey? Should be wayyyy less than 1700$. Of course, if you're sold with that exact BMW matte grey tone it could prove difficult to accomplish it 100% by random paint shop. Good luck with your grey matter!
-Miikka
Miikka, I'm in a pickle. Here she is all dressed in black and stainless steal, the brand spanking new GS is well to heavy for me to do what I intended mostly off the bike pushing her around is the issue. And the lighter more manageable F800GS was fun to ride on the street and grass, but it had some flaws; such as the terrible breaks, and the Pirelli scorpion trail tires were squirrelly on the road and slippery on the grass. And at highway speeds it was iffy for any real distance compared to its stable big brother. Believe it or not I have the GS up FOR SALE and I am on the hunt for something in-between the R1200GS and the F800GS. The quality of the R1200GS is really impressive; I can’t really say that totally for its little brother unfortunately for long-term longevity, investment, and ride quality.

VeeNeck screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 02:37 PM
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #160
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

VeeNeck, you really are in a pickle!

We all have our own unique "problems". Most (or at least many) people would be thrilled to have your GS in their carage. That looks like a really nice ride. Good job on the farkles!

I totally agree with you about 800 being iffy on the highway compared to it's big brother. To me it was an easy decision to choose between these two since my main goal is to avoid highways as much as possible. I have no beef with the brakes though. And hey, don't blame the bike if it hasn't gotten proper shoes on. TKC's are my choise (no highway action, remember) and I like them a lot. But there's about gazillion threads about tires, so let's not go there!

Good luck with your quest to discover something "in between"! Not an easy task.

In the meantime...don't let your sweet triple black ride collect dust in your carage. Go give it a proper outing!

Cheers!

-Miikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
Miikka, I'm in a pickle. Here she is all dressed in black and stainless steal, the brand spanking new GS is well to heavy for me to do what I intended mostly off the bike pushing her around is the issue. And the lighter more manageable F800GS was fun to ride on the street and grass, but it had some flaws; such as the terrible breaks, and the Pirelli scorpion trail tires were squirrelly on the road and slippery on the grass. And at highway speeds it was iffy for any real distance compared to its stable big brother. Believe it or not I have the GS up FOR SALE and I am on the hunt for something in-between the R1200GS and the F800GS. The quality of the R1200GS is really impressive; I can’t really say that totally for its little brother unfortunately for long-term longevity, investment, and ride quality.

BMW R 1200 GS Triple Black Desierto 3 Special Edition
Old 05-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #161
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:

I have.

-Miikka
Very nice! Is the CADPAT pattern custom order? If so, what's the general ballpark for costs?
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #162
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Cadpat pattern

..you made me google cadpat. Term added to my finglish vocabulary.

It's not a custom order pattern. At least not on this side of the pond.
The pattern is called winter digital camo on my local distributors web page.
I think I ordered around 60cm x 120cm sheet and that was just
enough to cover the areas/parts I did. (If you have experience with applying that kinda film you'll be fine with smaller piece.)
Cost was 60e with a squeegee.

http://www.oracal.com/distributors/ should take you further.

-Miikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazman View Post
Very nice! Is the CADPAT pattern custom order? If so, what's the general ballpark for costs?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #163
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
..you made me google cadpat. Term added to my finglish vocabulary.

It's not a custom order pattern. At least not on this side of the pond.
The pattern is called winter digital camo on my local distributors web page.
I think I ordered around 60cm x 120cm sheet and that was just
enough to cover the areas/parts I did. (If you have experience with applying that kinda film you'll be fine with smaller piece.)
Cost was 60e with a squeegee.

http://www.oracal.com/distributors/ should take you further.

-Miikka
Thanks Miikka!
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #164
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfish View Post
...I took it upon myself to offer up some alternate color suggestions...
You've got some photoshopping skills there I see! Reckon you could knock one up for me? I'm thinking about vinly wrapping my yellow panels with black carbon fibre... basically everything that's yellow on my bumble-bee F800GS I want to wrap.

Pretty please?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #165
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
So... I am not sure how much work it is but I would really appreciate if one of you Photoshop geniuses could mod this picture with a white low fender and rear panels, just like the KTM below that I think looks awesome compared to any other stock 950/990. I have a spare set of F800 and might just go for it if it looks as good. Thanks!!!

Still hoping to find somebody with Photoshop skills who can help me out. Would be highly appreciated!!
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote