User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
700 miles in two days Three Forks-Trout Mtns and the Steens

Ok as I laid around licking my wounds popping Ibuprofen like M&M's cringing with spasms I couldn't help but have this shit eaten grin envelope my face as I pondered what a great ride I had this past weekend and what a great part of the world too.

You see we have a local bulletin Board/club site where members post potential rides and post open invitations : Motoidaho.com Anyway "Trailrider383 aka Ed posted a ride into the vast ION corners so I elected to join in even though I have been nursing a pulled hamstring since WetFest and against my better judgement I'm in.

We leave after work meet up in Marsing ID about 6 PM I said hey Ed isn't getting dark around 7:30 now he just smiled and said we have 84 miles to Three Forks I'll get us there before dark OK! Well there were NO pictures taken cause we were well gettin on it picked up one more rider in JV then gravel.

Sure enough good to his word we hit the bluff dropping us in just before dark 7:30 ish

Onward

we camp down around that bend in the river

Alrighty, it's not dark yet I lay out my bed roll and get a picture..damn it got dark

Oh yea no fires permited as it is so dry so we stand around in the dark laughing and introducing ourselves.

Kent from Boise a 08 KLR rider next Larry from Marsing the KTM Adventure rider, he sure got an adventure. Bob aka Hondabob I've ridden with him a few times now first meet him on a Steens ride three years ago, and our leader for this wonderful ambling Ed aka Trailrider383 DR650, each and everyone an accomplished rider who could hold there own.

the sunset was absolutely beautiful, pictures serve NO justice

I laid there that night and was overwhelmed at the night desert sky, the constellation's was unbelievable, I'd forgotten (should have taken a picture) then I drifted of...

The morning was very snappy with that jack frost bite, but I just looked out from my nice warm bag watching the sunrise

Finally crawled my butt out, whoa is that frost

We all where like cold blooded creatures seeking the sun's warmth

Kent and Larry

Me

HondaBob was having a little problem getting out of the river bed that morning...oh this is just the start

Kept hearing his revving engine so I do what any red blooded ADV rider would do... I grab my camera

Well we finally get under way heading about two miles to the river crossing point with many mud boggs along the way from springs, I just happen to have a hard left turn into one and bam I'm down, crap! agitated that hamstring already, oh I'm off to a good start

I get there and Larry on the KTM is already across I didn't video anything just crossed but here's a couple of shots

Kent crossing the Owyhee

We all finally get across, me I am POed cause my leg is bothering me, Ibuprofen is my friend!

theres the hot springs

Ha finally get a shot of Trailrider

Oh this was the really easy part now it gets fun, the climb out

Didn't catch any of the KTM, but he dropped it in the big rocks not once, but twice but I did get some shots of this section and we still had three more miles of this

Here comes Ed Trailrider

HondaBob

and as much as I hate to admit this, I ask Kent to bring Gumby over this spot as I had just agitated my hamstring on the other side of the river and my drugs had not kicked in yet (advantage of being older you know how to swallow pride once in a while)

It's late I'm tired so I'll leave you with this

more later

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 09-29-2008 at 09:48 PM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,063
Cool, Sam. Nice start to your report.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,488
Hey Sam

So I am guessing that was your KLR in that last video?

I'm guessing you did not have the Tiger on this trip?

Oohh, would've loved to have seen the Tiger crossing that water.

atokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Snowbeard
maybe a bigger hammer

Oddometer: 144
Snowbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Good stuff!
I need to chat with someone about the Steens as we are planning a trip out there in a couple weeks...

Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,554
Great action ride!!

Lookin' for more
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #7
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by atokadok
Hey Sam

So I am guessing that was your KLR in that last video?

I'm guessing you did not have the Tiger on this trip?

Oohh, would've loved to have seen the Tiger crossing that water.

Hey back to you, you a funny man! Tiger out there, well not for that section any way you'd have to replace that KTM shot with the kitty times 6

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Alright mission accomplished we broke a good sweat all before 9 am.

let's take a short breather

Yup as we looked up the trail/road, this is going to be fun! I asked Trailrider what's the road like, he just's smiled and said and you think you sweating now

goodbye to the canyon floor and away we go..

Not a lot of pictures as I had my hands full, "literately" so the only shot I took on the egress was of Larry's KTM

This worked out good though as it gave time for Trailrider to get ahead enough to position for a video op.

...and yes about 2 to 3 miles of this to the top.

and hear comes Bob

Once on top we were definitely in need of a breather not to mention Larry's bike was in need of trail side maintenance

alright off to work...

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,894
Looks good Sam

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
Ok as I laid around licking my wounds popping Ibuprofen like M&M's cringing with spasms I couldn't help but have this shit eaten grin envelope my face as I pondered what a great ride I had this past weekend and what a great part of the world too.
Funny writing and fun images, Sam! I have to agree, it was a great ride.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
DesertDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Awesome Trout Creek trip

Sam, Looked like an incredible ride. The KLR looked like a handful at times. Heal up and get ready for a mud run this weekend. If the forecast holds we are going to have a wet one.

tt
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

We got Larry's bike squared away so,

we took off on the relatively lesser rock strewn road/thing for quite sometime when we stopped at some convergence of several roads, Trailrider pulledout out his map and started looking it over when he asked me what my GPS read, humm, pulled out my glasses zoomed in and replied "Five Points".

Yup that's what I thought we are going that way for about 40 miles

Folks when riding with Ed always be ready to move cause if he fires the engine up zoom heza moving.

There was a very long dusty run where the scenery was just not changing much, if you know what I mean, seems as time passed we just kept throttling up until we hit Highway 95. It was at this point I was thinking of bailing because my hamsrtring kept messing with me but I said I'd do lunch in McDermitt popped a 600Mg Ib and head to town.

Well after lunch I was feeling better, so I said I'd go on with the ride.

(think Forrest Gump here) "I might not be a smart man, but I like to ride my motorcycle) this idelology will bite me later today. I'll forget all about my hamstring..well at least for a while anyhoo!

back to work...

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Fun looking ride

Sam, take care of that hamstring and try not to aggravate it any more. Yeah, I know easier said than done. Remember what I told you about how long it takes those over 40 year old hamstrings to heal. Ouch

I have to hand it to you for camping out in the frost, Rainbow and I wimped out on the idea of waking up to frost on our camping gear and headed for motels while we were down there.

Waiting to see the rest the story I know it's going to be good . . . .
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,404
Laugh Ed does not let the grass grow under his bike!

Quote:
(think Forrest Gump here) "I might not be a smart man, but I like to ride my motorcycle) this idelology will bite me later today. I'll forget all about my hamstring..well at least for a while anyhoo!
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,063
Here is my contribution. So this first picture is above Three Forks before you drop into the canyon. I told Sam we wouldn't have to set up camp in the dark. We got to the river and checked out my first choice for a camping spot right by the main fork of the Owyhee River. It's a nice spot on the sandy bank that I have always wanted to camp at. But every time I have been there to camp......you guessed it, someone is already camped there. Oh well, we went and crossed the bridge over the North Fork and camped beside it.

Saturday morning after the sun made it into the canyon to burn off the frost. The shadow of me taking the picture kind of makes me look like a dickhead. And Sams shadow sure makes him look taller than he is. Kent looks like he is enjoying his coffee cup handwarmer.

There is the warm springs across the river.

Here is Kent riding Sams bike up the toughest spot of the ride. And I just noticed he is wearing Sams helmet. Thats Larry watching.

This first picture is the approach to the rock ledge. Loose, steep, dry and with a curve thrown in for good measure. Not the best approach to try and build up momentum.

This is later in the day after lunch at McDermitt. This is Disaster Peak west of McDermitt.

Here is part of the several mile stretch of poof dust we ran across. Sam was behind me and I guess he did a swan dive over the bars into the poof dust. At least it was a soft landing, huh Sam?

Here is Bob getting to the end of it. Just a few yards back he dumped it into the poof dust, just as I was trying to get my video going. I almost got it.

The rest of the pics are at camp Saturday night. Willow Creek Hot Springs. Great place to camp. We had the place to ourselves. I have heard it gets a lot of use. We got lucky I guess.

It was a great early fall ride. Perfect weather. 80 degree days and cool nights.