ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Genghis Swan OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Genghis Swan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Red River, New Mexico
Oddometer: 632
Alpine Sands Racing quest for the Baja 1000

The title of this thread is so far the culmination of what was just an idea back in January of 08. Myself and two other Rockies ADV'ers have taken the plunge and will be racing the 2008 B1K

I've always wanted to race the B1K and back in January I realized that the stars had now properly aligned and that this was my chance. There was nothing stopping me but myself and once I got myself out of the way it was clear sailing. Well almost. Now I just need a team, a bike and a plan. Minor details... I had no idea that this one day race would consume me for the next 10 months. Ok, so here we go.

First step, getting a team. Getting a team together is easy ,right? Wrong! where do you find teammates with all of the following?
-good riding skills
-good mechanical skills
- time available to do this (two weeks at least when you add in the pre-running)
- some bucks (this isn't a cheap race, just ask some of last years competitors some of whom are still paying it off)
- good attitude, this is really important, because who wants to be stuck out in the middle of the desert with some asshole when you came here to have fun. I guess you could knock him off and bury him in the sand but then you would be short one teammate which creates a whole other set of problems. Not to mention all the questions the Mexican Police will probably have for you... "Si Senior, pero el es un pendejo grande "

Now you also need some support crew, they don't need to have all the above qualifications but the more they have the better for sure.

More to come including the team, the bike, the logo (cause you have to have steekers and T-shirts), the plan, and the training.

Genghis Swan screwed with this post 09-30-2008 at 03:50 PM
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer
 
Green Stainz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dillon, CO
Oddometer: 3,985
are you looking to race this november or next year?

good luck
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Hair
Outside the boxer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 13,353
Good luck Swan. I thought that you already had a team and a bike? I would suggest that you take Retroone with you. But we broke him last Sunday.
__________________
Why would I want to do that??
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke
 
Bonnie Abbzug's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: on the couch pm'ing Hayduke
Oddometer: 10,339


Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
retroone
Beastly Adventurer
 
retroone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,344
For 6 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
Good luck Swan. I thought that you already had a team and a bike? I would suggest that you take Retroone with you. But we broke him last Sunday.
Attached Images
 
__________________
D-Wrec
retroone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
FAH-Q!
It wasn't me!
 
FAH-Q!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Park Sizzle Utah
Oddometer: 580
It might be worth while talking to Frog about a possible tag team on some logistics. Maybe have the same pits etc. He has a good team and there are several of us going down there to help. Just an idea.
__________________
Remember, it's not how many you kill, it's who you kill.


"Liquor? I don't even know her."
FAH-Q! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
ganshert
not sleeping
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 8,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Swan
I guess you could knock him off and bury him in the sand...
I'm lucky that Hayduke and Pyndon didn't bury me in Baja

My only advice is that Sat phones suck!

Good luck!
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Genghis Swan OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Genghis Swan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Red River, New Mexico
Oddometer: 632
Retro, it looks like i won't be hitting you up as a training partner for the rest of this season. I'm sorry to see your injury. that sucks.
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Genghis Swan OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Genghis Swan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Red River, New Mexico
Oddometer: 632
The Team

My original team consisted of me and my neighbor. I knew I needed at least one more. I have ridden several times with a great rider from Rifle who goes by the alias of "High Water'. He met all the qualifications so an invitation was extended to him. From what I recall he didn't think about it too long before I had his commitment.
Perfect, I now have my team and it's only March. But wait, my neighbor bails due to his opening up a new business. Darn, now it's back to two, me and High Water. I call him to tell him the news and to also make the suggestion that if worse comes to worse I think we can do it ourselves. I don't remember his exact response but it was in the ball park of "not no, but hell no". Ok, I now know where he stands on that issue. Back to the rider search.

Another talented riding friend Enduro Ince was contacted. Due to prior commitments, he couldn't pull it off. I kept thinking as a last resort, I could put out a cattle call and see what came along but I was only going to use that as a last resort.

At around the end of May or the beginning of June both myself and High Water thought about UnaWeep. Why not, he has all the qualifications and he's an attorney. You never know when that might come in handy. The only draw back to this choice is that he has a propensity for inferior beer. But everything else fit like clockwork. The invitation was given and he said no. What, no! how can you say no? and you don't even have a reason to say no. Just no. Darn, back to the rider search.
A couple weeks pass and guess who's back, UnaWeep and he is now saying yes. He still drinks inferior beer but at least we now have him locked in and the team is complete.

Genghis Swan, High Water, and UnaWeep will now compete in the 2008 SCORE Baja 1000 racing as "Alpine Sands Racing". By then it was mid June and I knew we still had a lot of work to do

More to come...

Genghis Swan screwed with this post 10-01-2008 at 06:45 AM
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #10
enduro-ince
dirtslave
 
enduro-ince's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Placerville Co.
Oddometer: 4,933
YEA BOYZ!!!!!!!
I think you guys have a great team, and the inferior beer issue will resolve itself when you hit the border. Tecate for everyman!!!

My plan to wear Jim out or make him hurt himself so I can be his "fill in" is failing big time. Maybe this weekend I have plans

I'll be ordering my Official ASR t shirt today and i hope you guys have the best time down there. And I don't mean timed time, I mean like, "SHIT, this is a blast" time.
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
enduro-ince
dirtslave
 
enduro-ince's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Placerville Co.
Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Swan
Genghis Swan, High Water, and UnaWeep will now compete in the 2008 SCORE Baja 1000 racing as "Alpine Sands Racing". It's now mid June and we have a lot of work to do

More to come...
One little bit of advise, if I may.
Make sure you get the date of the race right!!!






Its actually the 1st of October Swanny, you have three months less than what you thought you had

enduro-ince screwed with this post 10-01-2008 at 06:02 AM
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Genghis Swan OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Genghis Swan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Red River, New Mexico
Oddometer: 632
The Bike

Since all of the team currently rides KTM, we decided to stick with what we knew best. So in the early months of 08 we started searching. The search eventually turned up a 2006 525exc with 8 hours on the clock. I thought, wow, this is the bike. I called the guy and he confirmed everything the ad said. so now I asked the most obvious question, "why are you selling this bike, it only has 8 hours on it?" He told me it was too big for him, fair enough, "So what are you going to buy to replace it? I asked. "A Harley" he replied. At that moment I realized I had found the perfect bike. Not only did it have almost no hours on it, the hours it did have were probably spent going back and forth from the bar on a paved road.

Now with bike in hand, we have to build it to withstand the pure hell that Baja would be dishing out come November. We all worked together to come up with a parts list and High Water volunteered to start shipping things off for modifications and bolting on parts when the UPS truck came with the weekly deliveries of moto parts. Here is the most current list.

Tank - Clarke
Steering Stabilizer, Riser system
Lights - Trail Tech 8" HID & 2" helmet light, Stator/Rectifier
Oil cooler - HT racing
EE Clutch Slave Cylinder Guard
Cycra Probend Hand Guards
Cycra Probend Shields
No Toil Air Filters (5)
Fuel/Air Carb adjustment screw
Moose Fork Pressure Relief Valve
Safty Wire
FLR Radiator Guards
Chain and Sprockets
Tires
Skid plate - KTM Alum
KTM Exhaust Guard
Woodys superlace
Dyno Jet Kit
Mouse Shark Fin
Suspension Redeaux (Super Plush)
Front & Rear wheel set

We asked quite a few moto related companies for support in whatever form they could give. I know that these companies get bombarded with requests all the time, so I do understand when they decline. But I would also like to mention a few that did help in hopes that by doing so, something good will come back around to them.
MX1WEST.com
Emig Steering Stabilizers
Moto Discovery

Here is the bike in it's pre-modified condition.
Attached Images
 

Genghis Swan screwed with this post 10-01-2008 at 08:00 PM
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 17,127
Wow! I didn't realiz we had all that stuff! Guess that explains why we had to keep writing checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Swan
Since all of the team currently rides KTM, we decided to stick with what we knew best. So in the early months of 08 we started searching. The search eventually turned up a 2006 525exc with 8 hours on the clock. I thought, wow, this is the bike. I called the guy and he confirmed everything the ad said. so now I asked the most obvious question, "why are you selling this bike, it only has 8 hours on it?" He told me it was too big for him, fair enough, "So what are you going to buy to replace it? I asked. "A Harley" he replied. At that moment I realized I had found the perfect bike. Not only did it have almost no hours on it, the hours it did have were probably spent going back and forth from the bar on a paved road.

Now with bike in hand, we have to build it to withstand the pure hell that Baja would be dishing out come November. We all worked together to come up with a parts list and High Water volunteered to start shipping things off for modifications and bolting on parts when the UPS truck came with the weekly deliveries of moto parts. Here is the most current list.

Tank - Clarke
Steering Stabilizer, Riser system
Lights - Trail Tech 8" HID & 2" helmet light, Stator/Rectifier
Oil cooler - HT racing
EE Clutch Slave Cylinder Guard
Cycra Probend Hand Guards
Cycra Probend Shields
No Toil Air Filters (5)
Fuel/Air Carb adjustment screw
Moose Fork Pressure Relief Valve
Safty Wire
FLR Radiator Guards
Chain and Sprockets
Tires
Skid plate - KTM Alum
KTM Exhaust Guard
Woodys superlace
Dyno Jet Kit
Mouse Shark Fin
Suspension Redeaux (Super Plush)
Front & R
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
cRAsH
Banned
 
cRAsH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Nicetown, USA
Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroone
For 6 weeks.


Fuck dude...
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!
 
Brainless_1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Four Corners New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Swan
My original team consisted of me and my neighbor. I knew I needed at least one more. I have ridden several times with a great rider from Rifle who goes by the alias of "High Water'. He met all the qualifications so an invitation was extended to him. From what I recall he didn't think about it too long before I had his commitment.
Perfect, I now have my team and it's only March. But wait, my neighbor bails due to his opening up a new business. Darn, now it's back to two, me and High Water. I call him to tell him the news and to also make the suggestion that if worse comes to worse I think we can do it ourselves. I don't remember his exact response but it was in the ball park of "not no, but hell no". Ok, I now know where he stands on that issue. Back to the rider search.

Another talented riding friend Enduro Ince was contacted. Due to prior commitments, he couldn't pull it off. I kept thinking as a last resort, I could put out a cattle call and see what came along but I was only going to use that as a last resort.

At around the end of May or the beginning of June both myself and High Water thought about UnaWeep. Why not, he has all the qualifications and he's an attorney. You never know when that might come in handy. The only draw back to this choice is that he has a propensity for inferior beer. But everything else fit like clockwork. The invitation was given and he said no. What, no! how can you say no? and you don't even have a reason to say no. Just no. Darn, back to the rider search.
A couple weeks pass and guess who's back, UnaWeep and he is now saying yes. He still drinks inferior beer but at least we now have him locked in and the team is complete.

Genghis Swan, High Water, and UnaWeep will now compete in the 2008 SCORE Baja 1000 racing as "Alpine Sands Racing". By then it was mid June and I knew we still had a lot of work to do

More to come...

Well good luck to you and the team!! I know a guy that ran the 1000 last year which was his 1st time and his section was the silt beds at night(take extra air filters and know how to replace them in the dark quickly!)

And about Unaweep and his obsession with inferior beer just think of him as a cheap date

And by the way Unaweep congrats on the new bike hope you get alot of use out of it and by the way its not fair that you Coloradoins can register a bike like that for street use!
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014