ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
oldoval OP
Frank Orator

Oddometer: 767
Sierras Question.

I need some suggestions please.

In June I'm headed to California for a week to ride from Yosemite on the southern end, and maybe as far north as Lassen, hitting as many of the passes and twisties as I can. Hopefully a stop at Bodie as well. I'm planning on hauling the bike in the truck from here to somewhere on the eastern side of the Sierras. I want to spare my passenger (wife) the long slog across Nevada.

I want to park the truck somewhere around Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, or Lee Vining to unload the bike and start my trip. Which one of these towns would be the best place to spend the first night and park/leave a pickup for a week? Are these relatively safe towns to leave a vehicle?

For the second night I've already paid for a few nights in Mariposa at a hotel so we can check out Yosemite and the Mariposa Grove. Any opinions on Mariposa? Food, drink, etc. Good choice, bad choice?

The rest of the the trip I think I'll just wing it, but knowing how hard lodging can be to get around Yosemite I thought I'd button that up.

Any help will be much appreciated.

oldoval screwed with this post 05-07-2015 at 10:10 PM
oldoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoval View Post
I need some suggestions please.

In June I'm headed to California for a week to ride from Yosemite on the southern end, and maybe as far north as Lassen, hitting as many of the passes and twisties as I can. Hopefully a stop at Bodie as well. I'm planning on hauling the bike in the truck from here to somewhere on the eastern side of the Sierras. I want to spare my passenger (wife) the long slog across Nevada.

I want to park the truck somewhere around Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, or Lee Vining to unload the bike and start my trip. Which one of these towns would be the best place to spend the first night and park a pickup for a week? Are these relatively safe towns to leave a vehicle?

For the second night I've already reserved a few nights in Mariposa so we can check out Yosemite and the Mariposa Grove. Any opinions on Mariposa? Food, drink, etc. Good choice, bad choice?

The rest of the the trip I think I'll just wing it, but knowing how hard lodging can be to get around Yosemite I thought I'd button that up.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Mariposa is the county seat, and there's a fairgrounds there near the south end of town. They allow camping there. Showers, etc. :
http://www.mariposafair.com/camping.html
Old 05-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
oldoval OP
Frank Orator

Won't be doing any camping this trip, maybe next one. Thanks for the link though.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
caliform
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
In Yosemite itself, my favorite is the Curry Village. It's a sort of halfway between a cabin and a tent: a tent cabin. Has heating, a twin bed, safe, showerhouse and store and cafeteria close by. Excellent if you are staying in the Valley.

Do reserve ahead though. Yosemite gets busy.
caliform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
antirich5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I would avoid Yosemite on weekends if possible. Lots of buses filled with mindless tourists. The place is epic, but nothing runins more than a-holes treating it like Disney world.

I'm also heading up that route in two weeks; death valley to Tahoe/Reno. The whole Rt 395 area is awesome; best 'highway' i've ever ridden.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Any of the towns you mention should be safe if you pick your spot well. I have used mini storage yards, RV parks and motels where I was staying on the front and back end of my rides. You can leave your truck at my place in Reno if that works for you

Add me to the bunch that avoids Yosemite because of the congestion and speed limits. I get seeing it once. But I get my Yosemite fix riding Sonora Pass and other less traveled spots in the Sierras.

FwIW

renogeorge screwed with this post 05-08-2015 at 07:57 AM
renogeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,950
I would base out of Bridgeport and stay in twin lakes in order to ride over to Bodie then over the pass. Mariposa is a nice litte town probably better than Oakhurst where I live. Lassen is quite a haul from here. You may want to look south to Sequioa national park which is a couple hours ride south that also has some big trees and could be a one day trip. There is also near me the sierra vista scenic byway that loops out toward Mammoth and back with plenty of empty twistys. Those three destinations will have you very busy for 4-5 days. For those wanting to visit the Yosemite mariposa grove it will close for a year or two starting in July I believe however there is one or two smaller groves in the park and then there is the Nelder grove just outside of Oakhurst that has a walking tral around the trees. Keep me in mind if you run into any problems. Mike
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
rideallday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I just want to chime in and re-iterate what someone else already said. Don't go to Yosemite on a weekend in the summer. It will bum you out to see all the clowns ruining that place coming in droves in massive tourist busses.
rideallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
I have done what you are planning. What worked for me was to stay in Lee Vining and get up early to bag Tioga Pass (Yosemite) before all the tourists get up and on the road. The ranger is not at the entrance yet either so no entrance fee just to do a quick pass through the park. If you stay in the park for a while, they will get your $$ on the way out..

As far as parking, we parked the truck and trailer at Mammoth Lakes Airport. Had to pay a few bucks a night, but they have to have security so I felt it was worth it. Talk to the Fixed Base Operator there.

We did 120, 108, 88, 4, and 89 passes all in one long day. Stayed in Gardenerville NV the next night. Fun day of riding, but we didn't need to stop and see the sights.

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
oldoval OP
Frank Orator

Wow, awesome info.

First days ride we'll be leaving where ever we start from on 395 early monday morning, then across Tioga, around the park and end up in Mariposa. Next day (tuesday) will be an easy ride to Glacier point and the Mariposa Grove then back into Mariposa for the night. I don't plan on really spending any time right in the main valley, I mostly just want to skirt around the busy parts. I'm hoping hitting it on monday/tuesday will cut down some of the tourists.

108 and 4 are on my list. Not sure where I'll end up after that.

Great suggestions on parking on the eastern side.

Keep it coming.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
antirich5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideallday View Post
I just want to chime in and re-iterate what someone else already said. Don't go to Yosemite on a weekend in the summer. It will bum you out to see all the clowns ruining that place coming in droves in massive tourist busses.

Do you think the crowds in Yosemite is why vehicles are no longer allowed in Zion?

I was a little pissed to find that out, but if it reduces the crowds and makes it more park like, then I'll deal with the shuttle buses. I hear it pretty easy to escape crowds in Zion.

I hit Yosemite on a Saturday in october; just the way my schedule worked. I woudln't say it ruined the experience, but i wish i hit on a Wednesday instead. Even after a major forest fire and closure the previous week, the valley was still a bit of a zoo. Never seen rangers so looking forward to the season ending; felt bad for them.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
oldoval OP
Frank Orator

You can still drive through most of Zion NP on Hwy 9. The only part that is closed to vehicles and requires a shuttle ride is the main canyon which is a dead-end. Since I only live a short distance from Zion I usually only go in late fall or early spring when no shuttle is required anyway.

The use of shuttles in Zion during the peak season really cuts down on the noise and traffic in the main canyon and lets you enjoy it a little more. Still a zoo though.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
caliform
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
I have done what you are planning. What worked for me was to stay in Lee Vining and get up early to bag Tioga Pass (Yosemite) before all the tourists get up and on the road. The ranger is not at the entrance yet either so no entrance fee just to do a quick pass through the park. If you stay in the park for a while, they will get your $$ on the way out..

As far as parking, we parked the truck and trailer at Mammoth Lakes Airport. Had to pay a few bucks a night, but they have to have security so I felt it was worth it. Talk to the Fixed Base Operator there.

We did 120, 108, 88, 4, and 89 passes all in one long day. Stayed in Gardenerville NV the next night. Fun day of riding, but we didn't need to stop and see the sights.

FWIW, please monitor conditions of Tioga Pass as it just re-closed due to storms. Heavy snowfall can still close the pass -- though I expect it to be open when I go over it on Wednesday.

Condition report is always up to date at the CADOT.
caliform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
bmwseth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Eastern Sierra's are my favorite place to be. June lake is a very nice place to stay, definitely a little gem. If you're interested in a nice place for you and your wife to find a hotel/cabin, that's where I would go. I'm not sure where you would leave your truck is the thing. The option of leaving it at the Mammoth airport doesn't sound half bad, that's only 30 minutes away from June Lake.

One thing that nobody's mentioned, is that HWY 108 is amazingly epic as you head over the Sonora Pass. It's a good alternative to getting over the Sierra's and bypasses Yosemite. Since it sounds like you're heading over and back, I'd make one leg on 108 for less traffic and some beautiful canyon carving. There's some STEEP sections, 26% on a few corners if I remember correctly!

I spend almost all of my time over there finding awesome hot springs, some of the best are right around the corner from the Mammoth airport.

Also 120 East, out of Lee Vining, is very remote and beautiful; none of the Yosemite traffic will venture this far. The highway is like a friggen roller coaster in some sections. The engineers definitely didn't have leveling in mind. You can head that way to Benton Hot springs, which has PIPING hot water and has been in business for 150 years. A neat little town if you like historical stuff. It's also a B&B. I've only camped there, so I'm not sure what the lodging is like. If you camp, you can get your own private hot tub :)

Out of Bishop, if you want a nice day trip, you can head up to check out the Bristlecone Pine forest. That's a really cool place to ride and visit. You won't see any of the really big/old trees unless you ride on the dirt roads up there, but it's paved all the way to the visitor center and is still really cool.

Lassen seems like quite a haul, personally.

bmwseth screwed with this post 05-08-2015 at 11:00 AM
bmwseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
oldoval OP
Frank Orator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
I would base out of Bridgeport and stay in twin lakes in order to ride over to Bodie then over the pass. Mariposa is a nice litte town probably better than Oakhurst where I live. Lassen is quite a haul from here. You may want to look south to Sequioa national park which is a couple hours ride south that also has some big trees and could be a one day trip. There is also near me the sierra vista scenic byway that loops out toward Mammoth and back with plenty of empty twistys. Those three destinations will have you very busy for 4-5 days. For those wanting to visit the Yosemite mariposa grove it will close for a year or two starting in July I believe however there is one or two smaller groves in the park and then there is the Nelder grove just outside of Oakhurst that has a walking tral around the trees. Keep me in mind if you run into any problems. Mike
I got a lot out of this post, thank you.

Looked up Mariposa Grove closing. Sure enough NPS website says it will close in June or July and be closed for 2 years. They are being a bit vague on their site about actual dates. I may just pick up Glacier point on my first day and then skip the grove on the second day and instead do the Sierra Vista Byway you mentioned. Hadn't heard of it....looks pretty cool. Nelder Grove is in the same neighborhood so maybe I could squeeze it in too.