ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
geotherm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Looking for some good rides near Santa Barbara

Heading out there on 8/27 would like to ride all day 8/28 and 8/29. I've found the following on www.motorcycleroads.com, but have found some better routes through my friends on here. I'm a 50/50 off/on road rider in Ga. I'll be on a rental - hopefully a GS or KTM. Anyone have any 'special' roads within a couple of hours of SB?

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/71...unty-loop.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/12...is-Opisbo.html
geotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
geotherm OP
Adventurer

actually, just modified one of them..

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sant...m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

Anybody ride this area? Not sure if the road is open. I've encountered closed roads before out there after planning the route on maps..
Old 06-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
on that route, you might as well do a lap of Carrizo Plain - one of the most beautiful places around that you've never heard of.

do a quick search of it on here and you'll find more than you've bargained for.... and totally GSable. Mostly flat and gorgeous.

in other news a really fun ride is take 154 to West Camino Cielo all the way down into Solvang and waste the rest of the day at the motorcycle museum. Pretty incredible what they have up there from old Norton rotaries to a Britten!

finding dirt around SB is tough because the property values are so high - there isnt much but there is some. If I had more time I would go ride with ya!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Square1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotherm View Post
actually, just modified one of them..

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sant...m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

Anybody ride this area? Not sure if the road is open. I've encountered closed roads before out there after planning the route on maps..
Yes those roads are open. That is a great loop to see some of our beautiful countryside.
Gas in Ojai before going up Hwy 33.
That is a great road but you must respect it.
A few mile after the turn onto Lockwood Valley there is the turn off to Camp Scheideck. The infamous Reyes creek bar & grill is there. Open on the weekends , great food and scene.
Turn onto Cuddly valley rd in Lake of the woods, no gas there you have to go into Frazier park for gas.
On cuddly Valley rd, Gas and food in Pine Mountain club.
Be aware of a recent street name change: Cerro Norestre rd to Hwy 166 is now named Hudson Ranch rd.
On Hwy 166 , Gas in NEW Cuayama also food at the Burger barn.
If you have time you can take Tepusquet Canyon/Foxen Canyon back to the Hwy 154 instead if going to Santa Maria to get to the 101.
Careful on Tepusquet/Foxen this is wine country! lots of out of towners going wine tasting and end up in the twisties in your lane.
Hwy 154 to Santa Barbara you can take East Camino Cielo and get a stunnimg view over SB and the channel or turn right to West Camino Cielo and get to one of the few unpaved roads.
Other great roads:
From Hwy 1 near Solvang/Buelton: Santa Rosa rd to Jalama Beach for a burger and back.
From Hwy 101/ Santa Margarita take Hwy 58 inland.
You can cut through Carrizo plains on Soda lake rd, mostly fast unpaved rd.
Or keep going to Hwy 33 Mc Kittrick/Taft back to SB if you want to see were your fuel is coming from.

M
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
I'm a 50/50 off/on road rider in Ga. I'll be on a rental - hopefully a GS or KTM.
Assume you mean 50/50 on/off pavement? Off road is not legal except in designated Open Areas. However Ballanger Canyon off Hwy 33 is a USFS Open Area next to a CA SVRA at Gorman.

On a big twin, check out Statewide Motorized Trail System on GPSXchange.com
Old 06-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
condor-machinist
el dirt hombre

Oddometer: 96
Might be a bit warm in August

While on the west coast might be a bit cooler at Jalama Beach
https://www.countyofsb.org/parks/parks06.aspx?id=9186
Go up the 101 to the 1 before lompoc take a left.

Quite a few cool twisty routes around SB not too much "dirt" these days.

Enjoy your stay!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:10 AM   #7
geotherm OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys. I don't have to have dirt while out there - just enjoy getting off pavement when I can. Twisties will be great and can take in the scenery. I'm trying to rent a bike close to SB and looks like a Ducati rental might have to do(damn expensive though!) unless I rent in LA.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #8
geotherm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square1 View Post
Hwy 154 to Santa Barbara you can take East Camino Cielo and get a stunnimg view over SB and the channel or turn right to West Camino Cielo and get to one of the few unpaved roads.

M
Thanks, Square1. Is this road a basic Forest Service(gravel)? This looks like a nice side trip. Doable in street tires?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Square1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Is this road a basic Forest Service(gravel)? This looks like a nice side trip. Doable in street tires?[/QUOTE]

East camino is paved , there are some worn out patches on the way down to Gibraltar rd but all doable on a scooter/ streetbike.
There is a side road that branches of to Pendola Hot springs that will become an unpaved forest road.
SB Ducati are good guys but the rental price reflects the image of SB, hoshposh and expensive.
Coming down from East Camino Cielo taking Gibraltar rd you can take East mountain drive, any of the roads down to East valley rd/ Hwy 192 , through Montecito all the way past Carpinteria.
Those Estates and Mansions you pass house some of the movers and shackers of this country.

M
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Thanks guys. I don't have to have dirt while out there - just enjoy getting off pavement when I can. Twisties will be great and can take in the scenery. I'm trying to rent a bike close to SB and looks like a Ducati rental might have to do(damn expensive though!) unless I rent in LA.
hit up Carrizo if you have an extra full day - its a pretty amazing spot and LOTS of dirt.

I work in LA during the week and am back in SB on the weekends. Hit me up if you're down in LA during week! I only get to see my wife and baby on the weekends so riding then is pretty much out
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
winstrom87
Adventure rider

Oddometer: 9
Best ride I've ever done in santa Barbra is the camino cielo road!!!! Amazing views, great twisties and you go from sea level up to over 3000 foot elevation. Google search comino cielo road santa barbra and you'll see it. Also check out painted caves rd. great thing about comino cielo rd is that if you take it from the 154 you can loop al the way back into downtown santa barbra. Have any questions PM me. If your looking for dirt you'll find it out off of this road too. Wide fire roads up and down winding through the mountains. Tons and tons of dirt roads. And there are some great hot springs out there too super easy access they are called big caliente hot springs and little caliente hot springs. Perfect water temp and clean. There's a ranger station out there with maps and info too

winstrom87 screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 11:00 PM
winstrom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
geotherm OP
Adventurer

Picking up a Ducati Multistrada 1200 at 9am and heading out if anyone's up for a ride. Riding tomorrow too.