ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #31
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,080
Some INsight Please

Well, it appears that I may be inbound to Oahu in January since my site is shutting down and my company is transferring me (that or out of a job). So, my question is I'm a die-hard DS rider retired military puke from the PNW I will jones bad if I can't ride, so I know island living is going to be confined but 1) are there some good used bikes about? I prefer something along the lines of KLR's or DRZ's what will a used one set me back, oh yea isn't a cheap reasonable bungalow/cottage to be had for around a 1,000+ I about crapped myself researching. I'll be working as a contractor out of Schofield Barracks.

My profile shows I likey ridey! Guess I'll have to learn some water sports too.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #32
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prf. Chaos
Awe man. That sounds like a lot of fun! I am pretty slammed at work for the next weekend or two, but I would really be stoked to come up and help out. When is the Mauna Kea 200 (how much longer will you be cleaning trails)? That sounds like something I don't want to miss either!
The race is Memorial Day weekend and the trail clearing has a long way to go since they're trying to get 100 miles in the Forest on the first day the second day will be on Mauna Kea R-1 road starting and finishing at the MK State Park. If you have a plated bike you can run the bottom half and top if it's an "Offroad" bike you can only run the Mountain since some of the route will cross public roads. Here's the Link: Rock Island Riders

Ride report from a couple of years back when it was only run on the Mountain, I screwed my shoulder up at this year's race so I never did a report.

Forest looks like this:

Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #33
MOTARDJUNKIE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Cant comment on the cost of KLR's here on Oahu to much. When I was looking I found a few for 3500-4500. DR-z's are harder to find here for some reason. People just buy them and dont sell them often. That being said I know where a blue 05 DRZ is for 3500. I only gave 1800 for mine though, just a lucky ass deal. I called the guy 10 mins after he posted his craigs list ad and he was asking 2k and I told him I would come get it in the morning if he would take 1800 and he took it. If not I was gonna buy it anyway.

Those trails look freaking nasty!! I wanna ride them BAD!!
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #34
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTARDJUNKIE
Cant comment on the cost of KLR's here on Oahu to much. When I was looking I found a few for 3500-4500. DR-z's are harder to find here for some reason. People just buy them and dont sell them often. That being said I know where a blue 05 DRZ is for 3500. I only gave 1800 for mine though, just a lucky ass deal. I called the guy 10 mins after he posted his craigs list ad and he was asking 2k and I told him I would come get it in the morning if he would take 1800 and he took it. If not I was gonna buy it anyway.

Those trails look freaking nasty!! I wanna ride them BAD!!

That's good information man; I will land Honolulu January 5 so if you come across something reasonable feel free to throw me a bone, K I think some good deals can be had from all the military PCS'ing too.

I'm an old desert rider so I'll have a new learning curve.. Deep Mud! sorta wish I could ship my 200 exc smoker man there is dirt riding Kool.

Those pictures look seriously gnarly, I'm huffing and puffing just looking.

Aldous Huxley
Old 12-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #35
MOTARDJUNKIE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
That's good information man; I will land Honolulu January 5 so if you come across something reasonable feel free to throw me a bone, K I think some good deals can be had from all the military PCS'ing too.

I'm an old desert rider so I'll have a new learning curve.. Deep Mud! sorta wish I could ship my 200 exc smoker man there is dirt riding Kool.

Those pictures look seriously gnarly, I'm huffing and puffing just looking.
What year is your 200?? It would only cost about $850 to ship it. I will keep an eye out for you and get any and all info I can for you. I will be leaving on Jan 7th to goto The big island for 3 weeks to train then I will be back.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #36
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTARDJUNKIE
What year is your 200?? It would only cost about $850 to ship it. I will keep an eye out for you and get any and all info I can for you. I will be leaving on Jan 7th to goto The big island for 3 weeks to train then I will be back.
If you're shipping out of San Diego the PASHA Lines are a bit cheaper for shipping bikes, a couple of years back it was around four bills.

MJ - are you going to have some time off? I can borrow a bud's bike (XR650R) or maybe a YZ250F and you can ride my WR250, you with 2/3?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #37
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Is it really necessary to have a Bill of Laden to register a vehicle from the mainland if you have the clean title???

Aldous Huxley
Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #38
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

I bought a DRZ from an Inmate, put it in my cousin's van that was loaded onto the Pasha, got it over here and registered it w/o a BOL. They never asked but then this was in Hilo.... Some times they aren't as anal as in other countys... other times you wonder how they graduated from the fourth grade....
Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #39
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
I bought a DRZ from an Inmate, put it in my cousin's van that was loaded onto the Pasha, got it over here and registered it w/o a BOL. They never asked but then this was in Hilo.... Some times they aren't as anal as in other countys... other times you wonder how they graduated from the fourth grade....
I kinda was thinking along the same lines of packing the bike in something, but I looked at Hawaii (Hilo) too and rules also state BOL; I am trying to put it in household belonging I have a clean title, What the Hell.

Aldous Huxley
Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 AM   #40
MOTARDJUNKIE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
MJ - are you going to have some time off? I can borrow a bud's bike (XR650R) or maybe a YZ250F and you can ride my WR250, you with 2/3?

yeah Im with 2/3. I would love to ride while im there. What do you do over there? Should be there on the 5th of January of there about. Depends on what flight I get on. Sounds good man. I remember you saying you work in building T118.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #41
Prf. Chaos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
The race is Memorial Day weekend and the trail clearing has a long way to go since they're trying to get 100 miles in the Forest on the first day
Things are coming together on my end, so I think I will be able to come out and lend a hand starting in Jan. I would be really stoked to get involved. Right now, I am without a motor, (but hopefully not for long! ) so I would have to use my MTB bike to get in. (Geesh, I hope talking about peddle power doesn't get me excommunicated!) It does sound like there will be plenty to do, so I might not miss all the fun.

Those trails do look NutZ! I can't wait to get out there.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #42
Idahosam
Set Adrift

I have it set up to get my KLR shipped over.. yea! So, if you see a Kawi green KLR running around in O'ahu in February it may be me.

I'll have a big ole ADV sticker on the front

Although I might bring the mermite panniers over

So if you see something like this honk maybe chat.

Really looking forward to riding the islands. So is it hard or expensive to transport to the Big island for a ride about? Looks like camping is pretty prohibitive too.

Aldous Huxley
Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #43
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prf. Chaos
Things are coming together on my end, so I think I will be able to come out and lend a hand starting in Jan. I would be really stoked to get involved. Right now, I am without a motor, (but hopefully not for long! ) so I would have to use my MTB bike to get in. (Geesh, I hope talking about peddle power doesn't get me excommunicated!) It does sound like there will be plenty to do, so I might not miss all the fun.

Those trails do look NutZ! I can't wait to get out there.
Bring it on Prof!!!! The Rock Island Riders need ALL the assistance they can get.

Here's some stuff we worked yesterday:

Light chainsaw action with much more to come (one tank of gas to cut through ten feet of trail)

Maxxis Desert ITs aren't the best coice of tires but they work great on the Mountain....

The trails are all former logging/forestry roads that haven't been used in a few weeks, months, years.... DLNR has approved every Road that the RIR are clearing/recovering, this is going to be a Single Track Paradise when the route is done.

Hey MJ! I'll be at K-bay on Friday to give you guys your Safety Brief, stop by after and introduce yourself and if neccessary pass off your gear and I'll get it over here for you.

PS: Who's going to secure your weapon while we're out riding?!?!?!?!?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #44
Prf. Chaos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thumb Its Time.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the new bike. The folks at Kiser Motorcycles took awesome care of me. I still sneak down to the garage to make sure its really mine. I'll post the new ride pics soon, but let me say, Holy Smokes. I took the beast down to Makalawena. That road usually takes like half an hour in my truck. It took no more than 5 minutes on the bike.

Hey Thumper, its street legal and I am stoked to get out and help clear some trails, (and reap the benefits of your hard work!).

I don't really know any trails other than right around the Kona Airport and a bit north.

If anyone has a Big Island riding suggestions, directions or trailhead GPS locations... .

Well, I have to go do my 3 hour maintenance. (and I am already 3 hours late!) Hope you are all out enjoying the day.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #45
Chick4KLRs
Adventure in my Soul

Oddometer: 522
Aloha from AZ

Originally from Oahu (Waimanalo) and visit family on Oahu (Kailua area) off and on. Would like to ship our KLRs over for a visit this year. I read the thread about the company that ships (Pasha). Also am looking to hook up with an adventure rider club while we are there. Does anyone know of any on Oahu. We will take a hop over to Big Island to visit family too, maybe rent bikes. Any suggestions for places to rent?...

Living life, making friends...one rider at a time. ~Richard (1916-2007)
Chick4KLRs is offline   Reply With Quote