ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #46
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prf. Chaos
Hey Thumper, its street legal and I am stoked to get out and help clear some trails, (and reap the benefits of your hard work!).

Well, I have to go do my 3 hour maintenance. (and I am already 3 hours late!) Hope you are all out enjoying the day.

Prof, what'd you get???

We rode yesterday up Haumakua Coast ways, pretty mellow and fun ride for about 40 miles until this happened:

We were heading to the single track for some more strenuous trails and whammo!!!!

There was some good fun prior though:

Hey Chick - I used to live on Waikupanaha St. towards Camp Olomana, used to ride a CR125 all over Hamm's Flat and various trails to Kailua and Maunawili, hit Olomana Golf Course on occassion too
Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #47
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,077
Wooo So what happen there man? Strange place for a break unless it was a direct rock/basalt impact.

I am so on the wrong island!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Prof, what'd you get???

We rode yesterday up Haumakua Coast ways, pretty mellow and fun ride for about 40 miles until this happened:

We were heading to the single track for some more strenuous trails and whammo!!!!

There was some good fun prior though:

Hey Chick - I used to live on Waikupanaha St. towards Camp Olomana, used to ride a CR125 all over Hamm's Flat and various trails to Kailua and Maunawili, hit Olomana Golf Course on occassion too

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #48
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick4KLRs
We will take a hop over to Big Island to visit family too, maybe rent bikes. Any suggestions for places to rent?...
I'm not familiar with anybody renting dualsports over here (Hilo or Kona).

There are a couple of ATV tour/rental outfits one up in Kapaau and one by Waipio Valley I've heard they both take you to some awesome places.

The SuperFerry has been delayed till 2010 for Kawaihae but a bike on a pallet is around $70.00 on Young Brothers, a "G" van that you could squeeze a couple of bikes into was $120.00 about a year ago.

There's some potential for a bike loan or two (especially my WR if you come before I heal) another inmate keeps a XR650R at my place, course those are Apples and Oranges bikes neither really likes the other's terrain.

Ware you wen grad? Kailua? U one Surfrider??? Heh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
Wooo So what happen there man? Strange place for a break unless it was a direct rock/basalt impact.

I am so on the wrong island!
Not entirely sure, turning around on a downhill that was blocked, going to goose the rear end around, next thing I'm falling backwards with the WR on top of me, landed on the elbow, walked about 20 minutes as the boys shuttled the bikes to the nearest road...
Old 02-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #49
Chick4KLRs
Adventure in my Soul

Oddometer: 522
SOUTHEST US THUMPER - Thanks for the info for transport. I really need to get this trip together cause now I have several MORE riders that want to do this trip. My cousins dont ride like we do here so its hard to get connections. I didnt grad there, I left way young but try to come home every year. Most graduated from Kailua. "Don't mess with DaWong's" Thats my birth name. We hope to be out very soon. Definitely need to hook up while were there. Sorry to see your "owie". That dosent look fun at all. I fall down all the time, most of it while Im standing still. All I have ever broken was a nail. You take care.

Since I am stuck here in AZ, I thought I would send you a link. This is a really low level ride we did out where Im camped at in Arizona. Load up video of anything you have there if you can. I wanna make my other rider friends drool.

Living life, making friends...one rider at a time. ~Richard (1916-2007)
Chick4KLRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #50
IB Mike
Ex-Wingabego Rider

Oddometer: 598
Y'all have more company headed your way... I'm headed to Oahu (Camp Smith) in May... trying to decide if it is worth bringing my GSA over. I also posted in the Hawai'i thread.

See y'all soon!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #51
Chick4KLRs
Adventure in my Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Mike
Y'all have more company headed your way... I'm headed to Oahu (Camp Smith) in May... trying to decide if it is worth bringing my GSA over. I also posted in the Hawai'i thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Mike

See y'all soon!

Well worth it indeed my friend. Im in AZ, but my cousins there said that they just cut a new trail on the Northside which isint far from where you are going. I'll be coming out myself in a few months with a group of riders from here in AZ and CA on a Dual Sport Hawaii Vacation. I wouldnt miss that opportunity to ride in Hawaii for the world.

Aloha from AZ

Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #52
IB Mike
Ex-Wingabego Rider

Oddometer: 598
Quote:

Well worth it indeed my friend. Im in AZ, but my cousins there said that they just cut a new trail on the Northside which isint far from where you are going. I'll be coming out myself in a few months with a group of riders from here in AZ and CA on a Dual Sport Hawaii Vacation. I wouldnt miss that opportunity to ride in Hawaii for the world.

Aloha from AZ

Cool, I'll bring it along then!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #53
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:

I'll be coming out myself in a few months with a group of riders from here in AZ and CA on a Dual Sport Hawaii Vacation.
If you guys make it over here (Big Isle) let me know!

The Mauna Kea 200 is Memorial Day weekend, looking at 100 miles in the rain forest on day one, 60ish around Mauna Kea on day two. We're looking for for folks to work check points and other general support stuff, if it times out right I'm sure you'd go home with a T-shirt and a plate lunch in your bellies!

Alas, I'll be shooting fotos and video instead of riding...

BTW, nice vid!

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 10-22-2009 at 08:48 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #54
snohobo
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 425
Howdy -

Anyone know of a DS rental in Maui? I know JOhn from MDS closed up shop so perhaps looking for a private rental? 3 days in April would be ideal.

Thanks
Shaun

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #55
Chick4KLRs
Adventure in my Soul

Try these guys, they may know...Kuulei

MAUI HARLEY DAVIDSON/KAWASKI/VESPA/AUDI
150 DAIRY ROAD
96732 KAHULUI (HI)
Tel: 808-877-7433
Fax: 808-877-1856

Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo
Howdy -

Anyone know of a DS rental in Maui? I know JOhn from MDS closed up shop so perhaps looking for a private rental? 3 days in April would be ideal.

Thanks
Shaun

Old 09-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #56
Advrider13
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Checking In

Hey guys, new rider from Hono. Just got my first DS bike KL250 Sherpa. I'd like to go check out Kahuku this weekend, but I've read that it may be too tough for my bike on another thread? Also, I'd like to get on the list for any rides you guys plan or anything. Cheers!
Advrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #57
MOTARDJUNKIE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advrider13
Hey guys, new rider from Hono. Just got my first DS bike KL250 Sherpa. I'd like to go check out Kahuku this weekend, but I've read that it may be too tough for my bike on another thread? Also, I'd like to get on the list for any rides you guys plan or anything. Cheers!
I dont really plan my rides. They just happen LOL. I have about 4-5 guys and we ride some serious single track. Together we have 2 drz 400s and a KLX 400 (also a DRZ) A ktm 525, This bike RIPS!! and a KTM 250 bored to a 280. Blew up on him though. I dont know much about your Sherpa but if it can be broke we will break it. LOL. Kahukus is fun man. I rode a DRZ125L on the perimeter trail and I rode it hard so I think your bike would do fine.
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #58
hiflynbrd
I know that shortcut

Oddometer: 90
DRZ400S FS on Oahu

I'm leaving the island the end of the week and my DRZ needs a new home. Great shape. 12K mostly street miles and cosmetically very nice bike. Extras seat, front tube, factory manual and a few other things. Gimme a call and lets do a deal. The bike is in Ko Olina. Looking to get $2500 OBO.

Reach me at four three five six five zero four nine six zero. Leave a message if I don't pick up.
04 Ducati 999S, 12 Versys, 08 Can-Am Spyder-SOLD, thank God, , 93 ST1100ABS 132K, 99 ST1100ABS project cafe racer, 93 KLR650, 04 XR650R street legal, 04 CRF500R street legal, 98 KTM 620 Supermoto street legal-SOLD at the suggestion of Honolulu PD, 04 DRZ400S, 82 Turbo Seca (x2), -placed in a good home, 04, ~78 Yambulzukisaki hybrid, and oh so many others
hiflynbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #59
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Steve Lau's Level 4 Hilo Big Island Power Sports

Dual-Sport no whiners ride was epic!

When us 15 riders got to Kualani rain forest, Wayne, Dennis, Oahu John, Raife, and I waited as Darryl Vierra took the Honolulu bruddah's on some of his mountain bike loop's, these ain't foo foo pansy girliemon trail's, this is some serious shit when it's wet!

We older bugga's hung back not wanting to crash on slippery roots in tight turns trying to keep up with the brake sliding "pro riders", instead we talked bench race story as we slapped mosquito's off each others foreheads, mine being the biggest bald blood sucking landing zone, Dennis was a close second, Wayne had his naturally covered in silver grey, da lucky bruddah!

Somewhere out in the rain forest Joe Edsmen busted off his front brake caliper and rode all day with no front brake without crashing, try that my friends!
Flume Rd was laced with more than you can count of long deep ponds with rock's and Guava limbs just waiting to take you out, I was following Ben's lines as we were splashing big wall's of water through these motorcycle Olympic pool's, I was thinking about the depth of the river crossing that lay ahead, because it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock all Saturday night---sure enough the river was flowing fast and air box deep, I wanted to take pictures of the crossing but Dennis and I were riding sweep and had to wait for Jerry Miller to wrench his rattled off Dakar headlight kit back on as Joe Edsmen was wiring his broken dangling front brake caliper to the fork tube---before Dennis and I could hit our starter buttons those dude were off an gone roosting up rocks heading towards the river crossing, (got to love that race talent) anyhow not wanting to crash I stayed off the gas cuz Kualani area has put me on the injured list too many times, hence I've renamed it Cruel-lani, it has no mercy for my skinny haoli okoli.

When Dennis, Ben and I arrived at the water crossing Ben dropped in a deep over the wheel spot and gassed it hard lurching him to the other side quickly and up the muddy rocky river bank, it was a good line so I did the same thing with no problemO (mahalo Ben) then Dennis dropped in a foot off the good line de-tenting between some rock's in the middle spinning a column of water high like a fire hose on a 3 alarm fire as he rocked back and forth trying to find traction, the tire finely hooked up almost ripping the bar's from his hands, being a well seasoned Rock Island Rider, Dennis always has it under control.

Turning left going up another power line 4wd trail that was solid undulating Pahoehoe lava with standing water at every dip with over hanging Uluhe ferns obstructing vision at every twist in the trail, we stayed on the gas cuz we had too in order to "go faster than the crash" shootzz Brah! Darryl and the Honolulu boyz was gone going faster than their piston's could fire off a bang.

The next section was a 60 ft wide freshly dozed road with Hunter's 4wd multiple crisscross mud rut's along a power line for a few miles to where we stopped so Joe could completely remove his uncooperative dangling brake caliper.

Popping out on Saddle Road around mile marker 9 we rode up to marker 23 turning left toward Mauna Loa, 20 years have passed since I've been up there and forgot just how bad ass this section can be as it lulls you into it's beautiful semi dirt road forest sections, then kind of smooth rocky 4wd roads in treeless lava flow sections that progressively get worse as we climb up toward the 8000 ft elevation relay station 20 about miles ahead---Josh Lau's Honda sub frame bolt snapped off under the seat at a sign post saying Saddle Road 3 1/2 miles.

Being Dual-Sport riders with on the spot inventive mental attitude's and more tool's than Dickey Wilson's Snap-On truck can carry, Joe Edsmen performed major bolt surgery as five different hands held back plastic tank shroud, taking tension off subframe by pulling it wider for room to get to the Honda's threaded gut's as Joe finessed the broken bolt out with a hammer and drift punch, that's right folk's someone actually packed a chrome steel hammer whodathunkit? and whodathunk a drift punch also!---I'll bet we could have done a 4 stroke top end job right there on the spot if needed, coz Dennis Vierra be da 10 lb fanny pack tool guy and we could use Darryl Vierra's stinking crusty funky worn paper thin helmet liner for a head gasket---hey Brah no laugh Brah! if you break down on the lava flow there's noooooway you can ever get your bike out, this is why Dual-Sport riders make sure they got there shit together covering all base's, if shit happens they got the anykine toilet paper fix.

Question? did anyone bring toilet paper? not me, glad I didn't have to crap in the bushes, but I damn sure will put it in my back pack now!

Once under way again we come to the 40 foot tall a'a' lava rock wall with "rock's that roll" lava hill climb with a dog leg turn mid way to get up on top of the 1985 Lava flow, the Honolulu boyz made that like a it was a Wal*Mart parking lot ride, though John an Oahu trials rider didn't get a run at it and dug a hole in the rock's down to the swing arm in low gear, he, Raife and Dennis huffed and puffed pushing the bike up this nasty loooooose a'a' spinning rocks out like a roto-tiller on steroid's as I took pictures, next it was my turn to gulp air and gas it hard, I made it up around the dog leg de-tenting on basket ball size chunker rocks probably spun up from Joe's tire (hey you got to blame somebody he can't be that innocent) I fell over on my right at a dead stop near the top because that top heavy pig ass 450 Honda sucked me down into a pointed solid lava rock smashing the end of my little finger like a rotten grape stomped on by an 800 pound Gorilla on the throttle grip splitting it wide open, didn't even want to look at it the time, when I got home I pounded a few beer's then took off my glove to see the big ouch!---cool it wasn't broken but it was ugly.

Trying to grunting that top heavy pig ass Honda up, the rear tire was wedge between two big rocks stopping me from standing it completely up right, making me hold it side ways as I pushed the magic button lighting the big heavy snorting pig to life,thanks to a Recluse Automatic Clutch I was able to do this in gear---spinning and chunking the knob's off my once bitchen 606 Dunlop tire, making the bike jump up and down violently and rocking back and forth like a kid's hobby horse it finely unwedded it's self---in pure hyperventilating exhaustion I swung a leg over the seat gassing the snot out it all in one motion launching the Honda Earth anchor with wheels, up on to the flow---shootzz I was a wasted puppy from that monkey motion, and had miles of this brutal ride waiting for me with a lot of rock's with my name on'em---eventually I come across Raife and Wayne Blyth, they were stopped and Wayne had his boot off, I thought holy hog shit he's hurt, but it turned out he had poor circulation from a blood clot in his leg causing it to go numb, he and Raife waved me on, as Dennis pulled up behind, I continued to ricochet off every rock from Hell till I went down again a few more times peeling up plastic curlicues on the radiator shrouds and front fender, I had stopped 5+? times hyperventilating deep breaths with my head slumped over the bar's because of the now 7000ft altitude thin air, nature was kicking my ass and I was loving it (ya right dude) lets do it again---no wait---I said that---shit! I must be bench racing again without power beer.

Finely I could see some power pole's thinking to myself (Gasser you dumb shit, your beating yourself up again), also falsely thinking the 4wd road is just over that next 10 foot loose rock climb only to find out I had another 10 ft climb and another pole sighting, and another, and another, this went on for 20 (lost count) power poles and lot's of them were missing from the1985 lava flow, it seemed endless, but I stayed on the gas working hard to keep my weight forward and feet on the foot peg's to keep the center of gravity low, focusing 50 ft or more ahead, this smoothed out the ride, because if I only looked 3 ft in front of the tire I would hit what ever big rock I looked at to dodge, causing my feet to come off the peg's jamming my boots into the rocks on the side of the 2 foot wide sunken trail, looking way ahead is kind of like your brain telling your ass what body English to use way before the tires get to the nasty square edge and rock & roll stuff.

Then through the rainy fog, way off in the distance, I spotted Darryl and the Honolulu boyz sitting on a power transformer rise, I knew they were laughing their okolie's watching me, Raife, Wayne, and Dennis whipped to the max in survival mode ricocheting off the rock's from Hell to get our beat up bod's off that a'a' lava flow.

When I got to the end of the a'a' lava flow there sat Phil Oveland calm and collected like always on a monster heavy Kawasaki KLR 650 with a gun rack on the bar's, ya a freaking gun rack! and lot's of spider web's covering the instrument panel, he and Dennis Lawrence on a big heavy Honda XR 600, they came in from the Relay Station side which is no gilriemon ride, it's laced with thousands of square curb high sharp ledges and rollie-pollie chunker rocks everywhere, there's no dodging this stuff you got to hit it with speed and finesse (finesse> ass off seat toes on pegs to suck up the rock hit's) so as not to get a flat or square the rim's or go down in the unforgiving rough 4wd road, we had to ride this nasty crap up hill to the 8000 ft elevation, your bike acts like a dog continually bouncing up and down like it's running in tall grass and the rear end of the bike is swapping back and forth violently, spinning off the loose rock's like a dog waging it's tail for a big juicy bone, all this is going on about 35 mph, it's hairy but fun...no wait forget the fun part...it's f---ing butt hole cinching wicked---ya that's it, the bunghole is shut tight, not a hemorrhoid in sight.

Honolulu bruddah Kong, hard on the gas got a flat from a square edge rock hit and he fix it (thanks to Dennis Vierra's tube carrying capacity's) when we got down to Saddle Road @ mile 28 about 3:pm where we had extra gas stashed in the lava rock's.

Next leg of the ride was Mana Road to Waimea for a food pit stop.

Mana Road was wet cold and up in the clouds foggy, I got about 4 miles in and my right leg started to cramp as the numbness wore off the split open finger greeting me with that nice throbbing sensation, you know the one that makes you repeat expletives---well anyway I called it a day dropping out because I knew that the slippery muddy hill climb section at about mile 22 would be more than the old 68 year old accent geezer body could handle, leg cramps and slippery mud is a bad combination and I didn't want to delay the ride because it was getting late, so I peeled off down Saddle Rd to Hilo and Home to that cold beer---man that tasted good!

From what I heard most everyone went down once or twice, some three times in the slippery stuff, Dennis Vierra plowed into Wayne Blyht because he could not stop on a slippery down hill section, Wayne was stopped waiting for a rider he almost plowed into that was taking unintended wet soil samples, it was late when all the riders got to Waimea so they did not ride the strength demanding tough Mud Lane trail's, taking old upper Hamakua Hwy back to Hilo getting home around 8:pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Side notes> I told the Honolulu boyz I made that lava flow trail in 1985 but It wasn't that flow, it was the Tree Planting Road flow instead, sorry dudes, I forgot it's been 20 years ago that I rode these a'a' lava flow's.

Ed Ung and the Rock Island Riders busted that upper lava flow trail in with sledge hammer's and O'O' bar's---Mahalo Ed and the rest of the Rock Island Rider crew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Big Island Dual-Sport Riders "He Be Da Man" trophy award's

Joe Edsmen rode the whole day with no front brake! he be da Superman.

Jerry Miller didn't even flinch at any of that radical ride, he be da cool man.

Wayne Rhoden loved every nano second of the ride, he be da grateful man.

Kong loves square rock hit's at high speed, he be da flat tire man.

John a Oahu Trial's rider, first time Big Island Dual-Sport ride, he be da still alive man.

Tony Ortiz Rode an XR 600, he be da 800 pound gorilla bench pressing man.

Raife Lucas was smooth as Guinness Beer rider, he be da man's man.

Darryl Vierra knows all the Big Island trail's, he be da tour driver/rider man.

Ben Kimura, quiet, reserved, super nice guy, quick on the gas, he be da speeding Buddha man.

Phil Oveland just flat out rocks as the nicest guy you would ever want to meet, he be da diplomatic man.

Dennis Lawrence is a big guy with a big bike, he be da pumped Malasada man.

Steve Lau put this ride on, he be da sadistic punisher man.

Justin Lau pop's 10 mm subframe bolts off from big air time's, he be da iron man.

Josh Lau just flat out hauls ass any time anywhere, he be da passing man.

Jarred Yoshida never crashes, he be da faster than the crash man.

Wayne Blyth @ 57 just getting over cancer rode the whole freaking demanding ride with multi cigarette breaks, he be da smoking man.

Dennis Vierra @ 55 didn't bobble once, he be da wise rider man.

Gasser @ 68 huffed, puffed, wheezed, coughed and sputtered, he be da old still alive man.
These were a great bunch of guy's to ride with and I'm happy they put up with my old man geezer off the wall humor.

Mahalo! it was a pleasure to ride with you "Bruddah's"

~Gasser~
Attached Images

Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #60
oahupilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Any one still around here? Want to shake down my dr650 on some trails
oahupilot is offline   Reply With Quote