Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #136
GeoffE
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question New to the forum...& a question!

Hi,

Recently joined the forum, and perhaps posted to the wrong (XT600) thread? Here is a picture of my '88 Ténéré-3AJ series 1, as I brought it back from Italy. A few changes have been made over the years I have had "her" - the main one, to hide the yellow!

Hopefully I have copied in the question I previously put up on the XT600 thread. Appreciate any help or feedback.

Thanks
Geoff

http://www.yamaha-triples.org/photos...p?photoid=1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffE

Subject: Super Ténéré front-end on a XT600 Ténéré?

Hi,

I have just joined the forum, although I have owned my '88 XT600Z-3AJ Ténéré since 2002.

Does anybody have experience of putting a XTZ750 Super Ténéré front-end on a XT600 Ténéré?

I would like to "beef-up" the front-end, and the "super-10" 43mm forks and improved braking would appear to be a good way to go (for my mainly road riding)?

I was wondering whether the triple-trees/yokes would fit the headstock without modifying the stem? The top and bottom headstock bearings look to be the same, but I don't know about the stem length?

Fyi, I was thinking of retaining a WM1/1.60 XT600Z front rim size, rather than using the wider WM2/1.85 rim size of the XTZ750. Effectively lacing a XT600Z rim to the XTZ750 hub, to keep the same balance/handling.

I would appreciate any feedback & information. (Fyi, I did try a couple of searches first, "unsuccessfully"). Thanks.

Geoff

GeoffE screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 06:01 PM
GeoffE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #137
Uncle Conan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
43 mm forks

Geoff, Yz490 triple clamps are a bolt on. Same bearings and the stem is the right length. They will take the stock bar mounts and 43mm forks. You'll have to build a bracket for the key switch though.
Uncle Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #138
GeoffE
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question Super Ténéré front-end on a XT600 Ténéré?

Thanks Uncle Conan. I'll keep this in mind. I'm still wondering about the XTz750 triple-tree at the moment.

I have been trying to upload a picture of my Ténéré, but it keeps failing. The photo appears to be well under the limits for a .jpg file, so I am at a loss. Do you have to be an 'established' member before being allowed to post attachments?

Thanks,
Geoff
GeoffE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #139
begazzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
my xtz660 tenere 3yf or 4my

Hi all,

shes ready and not looking to bad for £700 i paid......she owes me a bloody good ride now though!!

home made pannier supports
crash bars
higher screen
plug
air and oil
fork oil and gators
ingnition switch
tyres (heidenau k60) and tubes
12v thing
grips
battery
start switch
braided hoses
rebuilt front and rear brakes
greased all my nipples
new chain and sprocket

so i have been a busy boy and although it was a pain ive learnt alot and know my way around the bike now. just still a bit buzzy at 50mph so any advice on that would be a help! front wheel balenced chain is pucker and tyres are 26psi rear and 21 front. sometimes i cant even see the road properly as my eyes are vibrating!!!! what can it be????

begazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #140
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,567

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #141
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by begazzz
Hi all,

shes ready and not looking to bad for £700 i paid......she owes me a bloody good ride now though!!

home made pannier supports
crash bars
higher screen
plug
air and oil
fork oil and gators
ingnition switch
tyres (heidenau k60) and tubes
12v thing
grips
battery
start switch
braided hoses
rebuilt front and rear brakes
greased all my nipples
new chain and sprocket

so i have been a busy boy and although it was a pain ive learnt alot and know my way around the bike now. just still a bit buzzy at 50mph so any advice on that would be a help! front wheel balenced chain is pucker and tyres are 26psi rear and 21 front. sometimes i cant even see the road properly as my eyes are vibrating!!!! what can it be????

That's a nice Tenere for a good price

Can you tell me more about the luggage racks?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #142
begazzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Sure,

Just had a look at how most are made....fixing points etc then bought some steel bar 20mm x 4mm and just bent and welded them and made it up as i went along. just used a vice elbow grease and a mates mig welder. tube steel would be stronger but i would need a bender

plus if it gets bent i can just bend it out again.....cost about £30 inc paint and about 6hrs to make......prob looking at about £400 to buy and thats even if you can find one..

have a go you know you want to :)
begazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #143
vander
full-time dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by begazzz
Sure,

Just had a look at how most are made....fixing points etc then bought some steel bar 20mm x 4mm and just bent and welded them and made it up as i went along. just used a vice elbow grease and a mates mig welder. tube steel would be stronger but i would need a bender

plus if it gets bent i can just bend it out again.....cost about £30 inc paint and about 6hrs to make......prob looking at about £400 to buy and thats even if you can find one..

have a go you know you want to :)

Ups... would like to have the space and tools (and know-how!) to do that. :-/
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #144
Laffi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
...And the search for BYRD rallye parts goes on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGExile
Guys, I have seem some fantastic graphic action showing Byrd kits, the full 4-5 piece units on xtz 660s! In spite of some sluething on my part I've not seen a trace of these kits. I know theyre out of production, but I'm hoping someone out there has heard about a kit still lying in a hallway or garage that hasn't made it on to a bike yet!

I bought my 1999 Tenere the day before Xmas last year. it has already had significant upgrades including;
  • Race Tech suspension
  • Remus Titanium Exhaust
  • H&B crash bars
  • Upgraded air filter
  • Barkbuster
  • Handwarmers
  • lighter indicators
The bike has done less than 40,000kms and seems to have been well looked after save for a ding in the tank at the LHS. I don't think its ever even had knobblies on. A waste.
The ride itself is preetty impressive,what with most of it so far being on road, and that's coming from a KTM450EXC fan, which I used in the desert in the UAE (3 years). The Tenere by comparison feels higher, but stable. It seems much ,more powerful than I had been lead to believe from previous research, so much so that I am tempted to tempt myself across the Simpson to confirm this. But not without increased range. I need to get it closer to 1000km range, hence the request for any info about the BYRD fuel kit. Even if i can find a 40 litre tank I can make the rest work.

Very impressed with LC8TY's work on his Ten(well done mate, that looks the goods!). Yamaha really managed to camouflage the beautiful shape of the bike with their later colour schemes.They weren't bad schemes, its just that Simple blocks of red white and blue work much better with the design, and with the history and pedigree of the bike.

Let me know if you hear anything- I am going to upload some photos as soon as I work out this website.
Hi PNGExile,

I've been on the same quest as you and I was lucky enough to get hold of a set of front tanks and a rear left last autumn on eBay! Pure luck!
- paid far to much for it though...

Anyway, I'm about restoring it and are getting hold of a few parts as we speak.

Maybe the following might help you:

- Italian Tenere Club got a site with a great forum.
There is a gentleman and a BYRD fanatic there, called Tazzone (avatar) and he has 4(!) XTZ 660 BYRDs!
He seems to have the right contacts and seems to get hold of a BYRD from time to time. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to ask a few questions on the forum. Some of the guys there speak only Italian, but a few speaks english - and they are helpful in translating.
Log on to www.clubtenereitalia.it

- Check out this german website; www.rallye-tenere.net
A lot of information on the XTZ 660 and more, as well as usefull links.

- African Queens still sell the rear tanks and the the water tank attached to the engine guard;
www.africanqueens.de (go to the "shop" section)

This option will give you some + 40 litres with the original tank in front. (The BYRD front and rear combined contain around 62-63 litres of fuel in total).
Here's a couple of pics from an ad of an australian build with only the rear tanks mounted. (It is the same model as yours with twin headlights. The original BYRD kit was made for the single headlight version sold from 91 - 94 (in Europe)), but should fit with some tweaking with the front fairing;
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au
(search for XTZ 660 - it is a red bike)
If you don't find it, PM me and I'll send you a pic.

- There's also three french versions, made by Yamaha France. One from 91 with an assymetric tank design (two tanks front and two rear, made of fiberglass, and a left rear), and a civilian version, 94, that was ment for the touring marked (two tanks front in aluminium(?)), and finally a version from 94 (two tanks front, aluminium, and a left rear)) wich was made for the twin headlight version. I have never seen anyone for sale so far.

All these kits mentioned above, was made for rigging the XTZ for the Marathon class in the Dakar rally apart from the french civilian version called Marathon.

And at last, there was a couple of japanese prototypes racing in Wynn's Safari in 91, I believe. In some topic here on ADV.

Hope this will be of help.
(I'm on a slow modem at the moment, so no pictures submitted, sorry).

Cheers, Laffi

Go Pal Anders!!!!! - Norwegian, strong, fast and down to earth.

Manuel Lucchese!!!!! - For pure heart!
Laffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #145
Geoff D
Tenerista

Oddometer: 707
My Tenere's

My one's

My next project, don't know much about these, this one is a 1998 model, should be twin headlights, lots of research required

My current project... ongoing

TENERE.CO.UK

GEOFF'S TÉNÉRÉ PROJECT here
Geoff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #146
JoukeHofman
Hello

Oddometer: 25
My 660 :)

JoukeHofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #147
JoukeHofman
Hello

And my first 660. But that one is no more :(
Old 06-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #148
JoukeHofman
Hello

The evening before a 10.000km trip (to a rally (see pictures above))
Old 06-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #149
Peke
Kloothommel

Oddometer: 124
Hey Cucumber.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #150
vander
full-time dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoukeHofman