ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #346
Cooky2159
Croozin
 
Cooky2159's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Galston, Australia's premiere step off point
Oddometer: 42
Thumb Looks good

Looks good Customer, very nice example of how an orginal should look. Love the look of the hard cases and if you made them yourself, you're doing well.

I'll look into the rims, probably go to Ballards.

BTW, how do you find those crash bars ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Customer View Post
Gotta be happy with how the bike came up Cooky, colour looks good.

I thought LC8TY mentioned in a post where he sent his hubs to be made up. Otherwise Ballards could probably help out.

How many k's per tank are people getting? I did 288k's today and was dead dry, ran out 50k's from home which gave her some good laughing ammo...

Here's a pic of mine with the new aluminium panniers I knocked up for her..

__________________
Cooky
Cooky2159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #347
The Customer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: A.C.T
Oddometer: 10
Yeah cheers mate. Being a sheety comes in handy occasionally...

The crash bars, I made them also although I cant see them holding up very well in an off or even just dropping the bike on them, more for the stray stick and branch that dares try to murder the $1000 buck plastics...

Have a troll through the aussie regional threads, I now remember a list of wheel builders on there too.

How many k's are you getting out of a tank of juice mate?? Have you changed your rear spring? What did you change to weight wise? I'm thinking race tech under sized my rear spring as it has a fair bit of sag when its loaded up...

Cheers
The Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #348
Cooky2159
Croozin
 
Cooky2159's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Galston, Australia's premiere step off point
Oddometer: 42
I'm hearing you about the plastics. I had a decent off with a set of Hepco Becker crashies and that's what stuffed my plastics, henace the respray.

The best I ever got out of my tank was 330k's but that was just local easy riding and just testing it basically. The worst I got was 170 going from Broken Hill across to Yunta but I had it wrung out as much as I could. Poor girl never stood a chance with my hulking frame and luggage.

I'm about to replace the fork springs and would like to do something to the rear as I get a bit of sag too but o idea what to do there yet. I'm only relatively new to the scene and trying to learn as much as I canquickly.

Doing the Tenere Tragics ride in March so want to get a few things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Customer View Post
Yeah cheers mate. Being a sheety comes in handy occasionally...

The crash bars, I made them also although I cant see them holding up very well in an off or even just dropping the bike on them, more for the stray stick and branch that dares try to murder the $1000 buck plastics...

Have a troll through the aussie regional threads, I now remember a list of wheel builders on there too.

How many k's are you getting out of a tank of juice mate?? Have you changed your rear spring? What did you change to weight wise? I'm thinking race tech under sized my rear spring as it has a fair bit of sag when its loaded up...

Cheers
__________________
Cooky
Cooky2159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #349
hellbent181
2RM
 
hellbent181's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: France, Deux-Serves
Oddometer: 6
Thumb

Jan, After viewing your photobucket I can say with certainty that this is one of the nicest set-up 10's I have seen. I am impressed with the "stone guard" idea and dual 12V outlets (I have installed only one in exactly the same place). A job well done!



Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJan View Post
My Tenere XT660Z http://photobucket.com/TenereTravelers

You can see all my mods here: http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...modifications/

Cheers

HappyJan (aka TenereTravelers).
hellbent181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #350
un_swe
Apc Commander
 
un_swe's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lund,Sweden
Oddometer: 136
My winterpig

This is what came out after a crash with my old tenere, before and after pics. This will serve as my winter bike.


Will add some protection for the fork legs in the near future.
__________________
RC North Afghanistan
BT1100,XRV750,XTZ660,XR125L,GP125,KS50.
http://www.freewebs.com/unswe/
un_swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #351
daviken
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 17
hello .... just sold my KTM 640 Adventure and I will buy my brother having 3AJ will soon .... photos.
Where have you bought the defenses of the deposit?
thanks and sorry for my English, I use a translator
__________________
ktm 640 adv 2004
daviken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #352
damo2010
damo
 
damo2010's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Roma, South Western QLD Aust
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviken View Post
hello .... just sold my KTM 640 Adventure and I will buy my brother having 3AJ will soon .... photos.
Where have you bought the defenses of the deposit?
thanks and sorry for my English, I use a translator
Welcome to the thread Daviken
hope you get lots of useful tips from this thread as i have
Will be good to see some pics of the 3AJ
Damo
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #353
damo2010
damo
 
damo2010's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Roma, South Western QLD Aust
Oddometer: 412
Hi Customer

I notice that your rack is attached direct to the rear luggage rack.
I did the same with my ventura rack but ended up braking the original rear luggage rack due to over loading.
I had a 10L fuel can inside the ventura bag, so just don't load up the rear rack with heavy stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Customer View Post
Gotta be happy with how the bike came up Cooky, colour looks good.

I thought LC8TY mentioned in a post where he sent his hubs to be made up. Otherwise Ballards could probably help out.

How many k's per tank are people getting? I did 288k's today and was dead dry, ran out 50k's from home which gave her some good laughing ammo...

Here's a pic of mine with the new aluminium panniers I knocked up for her..

damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #354
daviken
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo2010 View Post
Welcome to the thread Daviken
hope you get lots of useful tips from this thread as i have
Will be good to see some pics of the 3AJ
Damo
this is my bike




, but I'm going to paint like this



I have already bought the stickers here
http://www.ebay.es/itm/280464584100?... ht_1394wt_700

and seat cover, here

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Yamaha-XT600-...#ht_2311wt_754

the truth is that I have much work to do ..... I think the regulator is bad, the carburetor inlet jacks, rolling direction, transmission kit, fuel tank repair and paint the whole bike. going to cost me more than the repair, which cost me the bike
__________________
ktm 640 adv 2004
daviken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #355
daviken
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 17
Anyone to buy this?
mine is that this yellow ...
http://www.ebay.es/itm/MRA-Touren-Sc...#ht_2099wt_952
__________________
ktm 640 adv 2004
daviken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #356
damo2010
damo
 
damo2010's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Roma, South Western QLD Aust
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviken View Post
this is my bike

, but I'm going to paint like this


the truth is that I have much work to do ..... I think the regulator is bad, the carburetor inlet jacks, rolling direction, transmission kit, fuel tank repair and paint the whole bike. going to cost me more than the repair, which cost me the bike
Yes, I like that colour scheme, looks much cleaner than the blue 99 model Teneres

You talk about the rolling direction, do you mean it does not roll straight. Sounds like the frame is bent? Sounds a bit major.
Whats wrong with the gear box? Whats the transmission kit all about?

Heres mine on a 4 day navigation rally in its elements.
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #357
Cooky2159
Croozin
 
Cooky2159's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Galston, Australia's premiere step off point
Oddometer: 42
What size Sprockets

OK Tenere pilots,

The question that I have for you all today is this

What size sprockets are you all running.

I am about to replace the sprockets on my 1996 Tenny and am tossing up whether to replace the existing 45 on the rear with another 45 or go down to a 43 due to the fact that I do more open road riding. I'm going to keep the 15 on the front and just keep a spare 14 just in case the riding calls for it.

Just like to know what you're all using.

Cheers

Cooky
__________________
Cooky
Cooky2159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #358
x86
Adventurer
 
x86's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Timisoara, Romania
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooky2159 View Post
OK Tenere pilots,

The question that I have for you all today is this

What size sprockets are you all running.

I am about to replace the sprockets on my 1996 Tenny and am tossing up whether to replace the existing 45 on the rear with another 45 or go down to a 43 due to the fact that I do more open road riding. I'm going to keep the 15 on the front and just keep a spare 14 just in case the riding calls for it.

Just like to know what you're all using.

Cheers

Cooky
15-43 should be very good for road riding. I had 15-40 and in 5-th gear it hadn't power to accelerate above 125km/h, so I guess 15-43 should be the best ratio for touring.
I am thinking to put on mine a 47 sprocket because I'm going at least 50-50% road-offroad and it would be nice to limit a bit the speed on the 2nd gear.
__________________
'91 Tenere 660 3YF
'93 Tenere 660 3YF
x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #359
Cooky2159
Croozin
 
Cooky2159's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Galston, Australia's premiere step off point
Oddometer: 42
Thanks mate.

That's pretty much what I figured so thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x86 View Post
15-43 should be very good for road riding. I had 15-40 and in 5-th gear it hadn't power to accelerate above 125km/h, so I guess 15-43 should be the best ratio for touring.
I am thinking to put on mine a 47 sprocket because I'm going at least 50-50% road-offroad and it would be nice to limit a bit the speed on the 2nd gear.
__________________
Cooky
Cooky2159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #360
damo2010
damo
 
damo2010's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Roma, South Western QLD Aust
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by x86 View Post
15-43 should be very good for road riding. I had 15-40 and in 5-th gear it hadn't power to accelerate above 125km/h, so I guess 15-43 should be the best ratio for touring.
I am thinking to put on mine a 47 sprocket because I'm going at least 50-50% road-offroad and it would be nice to limit a bit the speed on the 2nd gear.
Hi x86,

I'd be interested to see how you go with a 47 rear. I did the maths and at low speeds, there was not much difference but at high speed it did make a difference. e.g. for same rev at idle, the gearing might save 1km/h, but at full speed say 100km/h, speed for same rev might drop by 5km/h. In other words you loss a lot of top end speed with little change to low speed. Really the gear box gearing needs to be changed, but of course I'm dreaming here.

However, I might be wrong, let me know if you do find it helps
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014