Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #361
x86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo2010 View Post
Hi x86,

I'd be interested to see how you go with a 47 rear. I did the maths and at low speeds, there was not much difference but at high speed it did make a difference. e.g. for same rev at idle, the gearing might save 1km/h, but at full speed say 100km/h, speed for same rev might drop by 5km/h. In other words you loss a lot of top end speed with little change to low speed. Really the gear box gearing needs to be changed, but of course I'm dreaming here.

However, I might be wrong, let me know if you do find it helps
I know that I will lose a lot on road with a bigger sprocket, but if I manage to shorten the second gear I'm happy. If I will have to do go on road for long distances in one hour I can put back the 45 one.

I'l write on the topic the results with the 47, but for the moment here is winter and I just made a top end rebuild and I will not get off the road until I finish the grinding.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #362
Cooky2159
Croozin

Oddometer: 42
Puke Today's question

Hey Tenney Owners,

My question for you all today relates to your handlebars and the rubber damping sleeves that fit into the fork head and subsequently hold the handle bars on.

I have put a set of Rox Risers into my bike as I am on the tall side and needed soem extra heaight when out of the saddle.

The problem that I have now is that the movement that I had in the handle bars has increased. This all makes sense that I've raised the bars, but I'd like to know just what sort of movement is acceptable. To my mind it's way too much. I have bought a new sets of sleeves but can't for the life of me get the old ones out.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks

Cooky
Old 03-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #363
Cooky2159
Croozin

Laugh Surprising

Hey mate,

I just noticed the front guard you have on there. It's amazing how much better that looks. What's it off ??

Cooky

Quote:
Yes, I like that colour scheme, looks much cleaner than the blue 99 model Teneres

You talk about the rolling direction, do you mean it does not roll straight. Sounds like the frame is bent? Sounds a bit major.
Whats wrong with the gear box? Whats the transmission kit all about?

Heres mine on a 4 day navigation rally in its elements.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #364
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 412
Hi cooky

I went to toowoomba wreckers and went through there pile and pulled out a reasonable condition one.
I picked one with a back that drops quickly to provid clearance to the radiator grill.
I also picked a second handy aa a trial as i knew overheating would be an issue. To o ercoe the cooling, ive had to cut quite a few vent hole in the rear of the guard. It is still not good for qld summers an will need more work with

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #365
damo2010
damo

Quote:
Hi cooky

I went to toowoomba wreckers and went through there pile and pulled out a reasonable condition one.
I picked one with a back that drops quickly to provid clearance to the radiator grill.
I also picked a second handy aa a trial as i knew overheating would be an issue. To o ercoe the cooling, ive had to cut quite a few vent hole in the rear of the guard. It is still not good for qld summers an will need more work with
Sorry, had to go to a meeting. Back now.
I still nedd to do more work to improve the air flow to the radiator. Am thinking about closing gap between side of rad and side fairing to stop air bypassing the rad. Will be out of sight also.
I have to provide some more details on mouting it for jono660, so stay tuned.
Damo

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #366
damo2010
damo

BTW. It was a old aftermarket guard. Acebis have one that looked like it would work ok.

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #367
damo2010
damo

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #368
damo2010
damo

Waho. Just figured out posting photo from photobucket using my android phone.
This was a dry sandy creek north east of Roma.

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #369
JimmieDK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooky2159 View Post
Hey Tenney Owners,

My question for you all today relates to your handlebars and the rubber damping sleeves that fit into the fork head and subsequently hold the handle bars on.

I have put a set of Rox Risers into my bike as I am on the tall side and needed soem extra heaight when out of the saddle.

The problem that I have now is that the movement that I had in the handle bars has increased. This all makes sense that I've raised the bars, but I'd like to know just what sort of movement is acceptable. To my mind it's way too much. I have bought a new sets of sleeves but can't for the life of me get the old ones out.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks

Cooky
I don't know what sort of movement that would be accetable, I'd guess it's up to you. I myself couldn't stand it and pressed the OEM bushes out of the top triple, and installed a set of hard plastic ones for almost zero movment. Got them from Kedo-Germany.
JimmieDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #370
damo2010
damo

Do you need the bushes or can you bolt directly to the triple.

I ask as i am currently loking at using some skinny mounts so i can fit my steer damper between the mounts and was thinking about doing away with the rubbers as i also have found the handle bars move a lot.

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #371
Cooky2159
Croozin

Hey Jimmie,

How did you manage to press the bushes out of the triple. I've tried that and it's ferkin hard???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieDK View Post
I don't know what sort of movement that would be accetable, I'd guess it's up to you. I myself couldn't stand it and pressed the OEM bushes out of the top triple, and installed a set of hard plastic ones for almost zero movment. Got them from Kedo-Germany.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #372
JimmieDK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I used a bench vice. They were stuck in there pretty good, I actually broke a vice in the process. Admittedly a low quality one. Maybe it could have been avoided if the garage, and hence the parts have not been freezing at the moment (it was well below -10C).
A hydralic press should not be needed, although it might ease the job.

I guess it would be possible to remove the sleeve in the bushing, and carefully jack the outer collar to make it possible to remove with a chisel or similar.
JimmieDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #373
miszterember
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
a
miszterember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #374
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Thinking of getting an XTZ660... trying to find a twin headlamp model. Would like to hear some views on how they cruise on tarmac ... at what speed is comfy, I could also get a Domminator but think a water cooled single will be better and quicker slightly.
Particularly interested in how they would compare to a Transalp 600.... both near same weight, same power but one being a twin and one obviously a single
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #375
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
If your interest is more on how will they compare on tarmac, get a Transalp.
Both are good bikes, one better offroad, the other better on the road.

Me & my '91 XTZ feel comfy at 110kmh all day long. You can go faster but then she will start to drink oil. Normally I just sit at 100 and enjoy. Other people say the bike is great touring at 130-140. I dont feel ok with her too much time at that speed, I could be too mawkish though.

The XTZ660 3YF is lighter than the transalp. In my book 168 for the Yammie, 183 the Honda, both dry.