User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Gaucho del Norte OP
Gaucho

Oddometer: 10
F800 GS Adventure

Any thoughts on when BMW will produce the adventure?
Gaucho del Norte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho del Norte
Any thoughts on when BMW will produce the adventure?
The 800 IS the Adventure version. The 650 is not.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Gaucho del Norte OP
Gaucho

how about, expanded fuel tank and engine guards
Old 09-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
how about, expanded fuel tank and engine guards
Well, there are a few engine guards available now (Givi, SW-Motech, Hepco-Becker, etc.), but AFAIK there aren't any expanded fuel tanks specific to the new GSs yet. Pretty sure Touratech will eventually offer one that will be A) usuriously expensive, and B) permanently on back-order. But I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for BMW to come out with a bike with those kinds of features. I'm sure they'd fear the impact on 1200GS sales.

But what do I know?

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Marvin the Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Like the bike

But I can't see a way to expand the fuel tank which is under the seat without upsetting the look and use of the motorcycle.

Oddly once I study the 800 GS the placement of the fuel cap is on the wrong side of the motorcycle, either you must walk around to the fuel pump or pass the hose over top from the side you dismount. That is stupid, but so is calling a 800cc a 650. Anyways I still like the motorcycle.
Marvin the Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian
Snipe... That is stupid, but so is calling a 800cc a 650. Anyways I still like the motorcycle.
The local BMW club had a ride on sunday with almost 50 participants. I had several conversations with other BMW riders about how the F650GS is actually a "detuned" 800cc engine. My guess is 95% of the people I spoke to didn't believe me or didn't understand.

It is also very confusing to know if someone is talking about the F650GS single or twin.

I would guess that this will be the last year that this model is referred to as the F650GS, actually I expected BMW to use the six month delay in selling the bike to come up with some other designation like F800GS/2 or something.

I understand that BMW also has a model that only produces 36hp. What do they call that model?

I also like the bike, I just wish there was a less confusing model designation assigned to it. Trying to link this bike to the F650GS single is just DUMB IMHO
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
The 800 IS the Adventure version. The 650 is not.

David
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029

....I understand that BMW also has a model that only produces 36hp. What do they call that model?.....
A moped?

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 823
As I understand - and i could be wrong ... for 2009 - the GxxxX line will be the moniker for the 650 cc single G650X Country Moto etc.. and the fxxxGS line will be the 800cc twin, but they are calling the detuned milder one a 650

Personally, I think it's kind of dumb... But the guess @ the dealer where I went to oggle a f800gs, was that it might be an insurance "beater" - ie that some can get breaks on their insurance when it's badged as a 650 instead of a 800cc

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
As I understand - and i could be wrong ... for 2009 - the GxxxX line will be the moniker for the 650 cc single G650X Country Moto etc.. and the fxxxGS line will be the 800cc twin,...
As opposed to 2008 where the GxxxX line is the moniker for the 650 cc single G650X Country Moto etc.. and the fxxxGS line is the 800cc twin.

The new F650GS has an 798cc engine. Get over it!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 09-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,636
Quote:
But I can't see a way to expand the fuel tank which is under the seat without upsetting the look and use of the motorcycle.

Oddly once I study the 800 GS the placement of the fuel cap is on the wrong side of the motorcycle, either you must walk around to the fuel pump or pass the hose over top from the side you dismount. That is stupid, but so is calling a 800cc a 650. Anyways I still like the motorcycle.
The fuel cap is on the "uphill side" of the fuel cell when the bike is on its sidestand. Nothing odd about that.

Many autos have thier fuel cap on the right rear fender. Again, nothing odd about it.

Personally, I think a fuel tank should be in the traditional spot. I also think the F800GS's fuel cell is too small for an ADVbike...

IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
Gaucho del Norte OP
Gaucho

Good thoughts on the expanded tank. The question for myself is.....sell the 1150 Adventure for the F800 GS. Any word on how the 800 is for big miles and long days?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
... Any word on how the 800 is for big miles and long days?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388111

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380741
Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 AM   #14
Marvin the Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
The fuel cap is on the "uphill side" of the fuel cell when the bike is on its sidestand. Nothing odd about that.

Many autos have thier fuel cap on the right rear fender. Again, nothing odd about it.

Personally, I think a fuel tank should be in the traditional spot. I also think the F800GS's fuel cell is too small for an ADVbike...

I fill on the center stand, but I like the fuel under the seat idea for lower CG. I too wish they did the tank top filler, both should not to difficult to do for the factory design.
Marvin the Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #15
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
I fill on the center stand, but I like the fuel under the seat idea for lower CG. I too wish they did the tank top filler, both should not to difficult to do for the factory design.
As the owner of an F800S for a year and almost 23k miles, the fuel tank and cap placement is one of the great features. I don't have to unstrap and restrap my tankbag every time I stop for gas. Awesome.

Since my fuel economy is very high (63mpg in interstate cruizing) the net range per tank is still over 200 miles.

I would guess the F800GS can deliver similar results.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote