Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,589
Uncle Gra goes to Talbotville

Posting for Uncle Gra
'cause he would rather ride than play with 'puters

Thursday morning and another beautiful day in God’s own country. I’m loaded up for an overnighter to Talbotville….tried to get there a couple of weeks ago for the Dargo Rally with SCray and brother Shane via Mitta-Omeo-Mt Birrergun Rd…but the snow beat us somewhere near Mt Phipps and we gave up and went home, tail between our legs…

This time I’ll try a different way….

First stop Dederang local store in the Kiewa Valley…prime dairy country…..for a fuel top up

and a look at the view

Heading south up the valley and get a glimpse of the Kiewa R. meandering thru the willows. Take the Myrtleford turn off and a quick look up the Kiewa V. shows Mt Bogong, Falls Ck. and Mt McKay with what’s left of this seasons snow.

A few kms further along I take the Kancoona turn off. This follows Running Ck up into the hills and I ride past mansions with duck ponds…Kiwifruit farms and Springwater plants….

Bitumen stops here and some good forestry tracks now…. up to Mt Porepunkah for great views of the Ovens Valley, Mt. Buffalo, Mt. Hotham and Mt.Feathertop thru the snow gums.

Back down the mountain to Porepunkah Village with Mt Bufallo thru the pines.

The big roundabout at Porpunkah, and a left turn here and up the Buckland Valley…..Mt Buffalo still hogging the camera…

I used to pick up the milk at this dairy farm….Howells Falls in the background.

All dirt now….but never saw a log truck…..

I’ll take the Selwyn Ck. Tk…boil the billy at Beveridges campground,,,,and take Tea Tree Range Rd

Odd……...

Up the Tea Tree Range Rd. I goes….. feeling lucky… no fallen trees so far…

And then this...

I sat around here at Mt Sarah Scenic Area for quite a while ….just lapping it up !! Then on to Guy’s Hut on the Mt Sarah Spur Tk.

At about 1500mtrs Guy’s is a little rough….needs a woman’s touch….

Back onto Tea Tree Range Tk…..going south towards Mt Hart…take a left at on toTea Trea Spur Tk….descending now…stop and have a look over to the east….Bald TopTk…I’m coming back that way……SHITE !!

Continue down towards the area called the Racecourse…thru some private property….

then this….the ford on the Wongungarra R...Call this a ford…??...Wrong !!

This is Wongungarra

Now I hate water crossings...( read shit scared of water crossings …). Talbotville is over the other side and a few kms back up the Crooked R. with 2 more crossings. Well, I wandered around here for a while scratching my arse…thinking….I don’t really…really need to go all the way to Talbotville do I ??....don’t be a wimp…..I intended to travel back from Talbotville via Brewery Ck. Rd., Bald Top Tk. and Mt Sarah Spur Tk….to do that I have to cross the Rio Grande. I took the boots off and walked it…up to my knees and flowing strongly, but the bottom felt OK so I’ll give it a go….I won’t go into detail on what followed…the next 2 crossings the same thing….say no more…Ill be right when I get a fire going at Talbotville.

The Hereford Family were here.

They kept me awake most of the night with there loud chewing noises…. 6 inches from my head..!!...I awoke the next morning a little bleary – eyed..!

Hung around the camp for a few hours…got some info on Brewery Ck. Rd. and Bald Top Tk. from some 4wd’ers….yeah…. no probs they said….have fun… Here’s the turn off to Bald Top Tk

Starting To think I’ve bitten off more than I could chew….again….can’t be worse than a water crossing… WRONG AGAIN…!!. That track is k’n steep….stayed upright to the helipad…. Looking back up to Brewery Ck. Rd. from the helipad

Have a rest…down a bit further…the bike started to get away from me….the next whoopdedoo water channel thingy was 20 mtrs ahead….FAAAAAARK I’m a gonner,….made it….pull ya self together man….your nearly 60 yrs old…..you can do it…Well I did get down to the Wongungarra R. crossing in one piece.

This crossing although a long way upstream from the crossing near Talbotville was narrower but deeper with a rough as guts bottom…but got across on the pegs OK.
I’m now on Sarah Spur Tk. after crossing here.

This is the last pic I took because from here on in it was survival time !!

Then about 400mtrs on it all came un stuck….Came to very steep and loose section….someone on this forum said “ ride it like it’s flat “…I did and came the biggest gutsa so far….too much gas and back over I went….hitting hard…bike now had to be lifted from the low side….couldn’t do it……dragged it around so I was on the top side…..just managed to lift the bike up…..went back to the bottom….2nd attempt….just as bad but didn’t fall….by this time my left leg was starting to hurt from the first fall. Way too steep to restart….unload the bike…..turn it around and go back to the bottom….deflate both tyres to about 8 psi….3rd time lucky…..go 50 mtrs past where my gear was left and stop in a whoopdedoo thing…go back down and recover the gear….all this took at least one and a half hours…..absolutely stuffed now……reload the bike …continue the long and steep climb up Sarah Spur all the way to Guys Hut…..some really deep whoopdees which could conceal a small car….fortunately no trees down to completely stuff the day. Had a rest at the hut…back on to Tea Tree Range Tk. and bolted for home.

4 days later I thought….now that was fun…

Unc.

Excellent Gra. Maybe you can do it again over summer?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/

tripodtiger screwed with this post 10-09-2008 at 11:36 PM
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,172
MMMmmm... think I made the right decision not to take the GSA that way in March.

A2

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,589
We didn't go straight home after the Mt Phipps Phiasco, we had a nice evening without a camp fire (you should know, you where there!!)
& then had a nice ride over to the coast & up towards Sydney & home. Not exactly as our original plans, however, we were on our bikes.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
auRoscoe
Cerebral Failure!

Oddometer: 460
Thanks for the RR.

auRoscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
Nice work Unc
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
craig525
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
great pics love the high country your hero material
craig525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 AM   #7
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,517

Great ride Uncle Gra

Out there by yourself, when you find a difficult track and tackle it.........................

Cheers
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 636
Gutsy effort man,good report!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,723
Thumb Thanks Ray

Today 05:45 PM
SCrayWe didn't go straight home after the Mt Phipps Phiasco, we had a nice evening without a camp fire (you should know, you where there!!)

Yeah ,,,now I remember...wasn't Shane sposed to get the the firewood while we had a couple in the Blue Duck !

Thanks for the replies fellas....

Unc
UncleGra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,355
Very nice ride and pics! Didn't expect such mountainous terrain in that area
Old 10-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,723
To Ozimick

Yes its a Kodak Easyshare CX 7530 5 megapixels. Its been dropped a few times and cracked the view screen on the back....got a lot of condensation inside while in Costa Rica last year, then got mud sand and water from our wet Simpson trip in June.....the lense shutter thingy doesn't open properly now and then....but it still takes excellent pics and video.....I reckon it should have clapped out by now.

Unc
UncleGra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Oddometer: 204
Thumb

Well done all on your lonesome! Great pics of our magnificent country. My little XL250 loved the Talbotville Rd but I wasn't BIG enough to try the river crossing even with all the Dargo High Plains rally attendants there. I must be getting old.
Keep up the great work!