Dunlop K70, will it fit?

Front tire: 3.5" x 19
bike: 1974 R75/6
hunterkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
That's what kyle and I run. I'll look up sizes I've ordered in the past.
I don't recommend the tire unless you're just around town and what not. It can be a little weird in hard leans. Kind of has a cliff it falls off at a certain point.

3.25 x 19 front and 4.0x18 rear is what I have mounted currently.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
nmalozzi
airheaded

Oddometer: 476
I run them front and back.

3.25-19 is what I just put on the front a few months ago. Bike came with the one on the rear, and I've never actually looked at the exact size, but I'm assuming it's a 4.00-18.

I love mine until I hit grooved concrete. They are terrifying on that type of road. Terrifying enough that these will be my last pair. Haven't noticed any issues in the corners, but that's mainly because the weak point in that situation is the inexperienced rider... not the tires.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
Haven't noticed any issues in the corners, but that's mainly because the weak point in that situation is the inexperienced rider... not the tires.
*ahem...what?
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
Old 09-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
nmalozzi
airheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
*ahem...what?
Short story: I don't ride well enough to notice issues when leaning.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
silverhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I have a Continental RB2 on the front that's brand new from the previous owner of the bike. If you think the K70 tracks rain groove, that thing is like a record needle.

I'm looking at getting a K70 front tire to replace it because the K70 at least has some mild off-roading traction. I believe the original question was about fitting a 3.5" wide tire up there. My guess is that it'll rub on the OEM fender. Skinny tires steer faster anyway, so I don't know why anyone likes over-wide tires for anything other than appearance.

A tire I'm using on my Kawasaki up front is a Pirelli MT66 which would be a good tire for the airheads. It doesn't follow rain grooves badly at all. It's also cheap and rumored to be long lived. I like it a lot.
silverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Short story: I don't ride well enough to notice issues when leaning.
Ohhh, I thought you were talking about me! Hahah. I've been through way to many tires for me to not notice differences these days.
They generally are great tires and a great match on the old bike but try a set of modern tread street tires and you'll immediately ditch the k70. This is my first and last set of the k70. I bought them for aesthetics but I'd rather have an improved ride.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
nmalozzi
airheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Ohhh, I thought you were talking about me! Hahah. I've been through way to many tires for me to not notice differences these days.
They generally are great tires and a great match on the old bike but try a set of modern tread street tires and you'll immediately ditch the k70. This is my first and last set of the k70. I bought them for aesthetics but I'd rather have an improved ride.
I absolutely love the look of the k70s on my bike. I have GS bars on mine, and the k70 tread gives it a real retro-scrambler look. Which I love. I also enjoy their traction on dirt roads (which I do hit from time to time). However, I hit a rain grooved patch the other day at about 70mph. I nearly shit myself it was so unstable. I'd like to do some longer trips in the near future, and don't like the idea of just HOPING the routes I plan are free of rain grooves.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I absolutely love the look of the k70s on my bike. I have GS bars on mine, and the k70 tread gives it a real retro-scrambler look. Which I love. I also enjoy their traction on dirt roads (which I do hit from time to time). However, I hit a rain grooved patch the other day at about 70mph. I nearly shit myself it was so unstable. I'd like to do some longer trips in the near future, and don't like the idea of just HOPING the routes I plan are free of rain grooves.
Yup, and those are all over my commute in Atlanta. I think I've gotten used to it but it used to be kind of a butt hole puckering moment where I thought I had a rear flat.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
Old 09-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
silverhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I just go with it.. Every bike I have follows the rain grooves so I just kinda ride it out like being drunk. Nothing I can do about it.. just gotta live with that vague feeling until I get past it ;)

Tires that are deflated and have no linear tread work best for me. My TW200 with 12 PSI in the street tires is pretty planted. Vespas with 30 PSI in Michelin S83 tires are real pucker inducing rides.
silverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
hunterkey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I've run these tires on other bikes and enjoyed them. I ordered 3.5 because bigger tires look cooler, even though they may not handle as good.

I'm just unsure if they will fit under that front fender....

I guess we will find out. I probably should of ordered the 3.25"

I may save these for my choppa build if it is too wide.

Anyone run these fat boys before?
hunterkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 538
Yes, I currently run a 3.5 k70 front. The issue will be the stock /6 fork brace. It’ll be a tight fit and possibly rub the tire.

If you run a San Jose style brace, i.e. over the top, you’ll have no worries.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 233
I ran a 3.25 with a San Jose brace and had about zero extra clearance at the edges of the fender
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
nmalozzi
airheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterkey View Post
I've run these tires on other bikes and enjoyed them. I ordered 3.5 because bigger tires look cooler, even though they may not handle as good.

I'm just unsure if they will fit under that front fender....

I guess we will find out. I probably should of ordered the 3.25"

I may save these for my choppa build if it is too wide.

Anyone run these fat boys before?
If you happen to have an aftermarket fork brace they may fit. The fender itself isn't the problem, it's the stock "brace" that the fender attaches to. I believe you can modify that "brace" to make it fit. Pretty sure ADVer Jim Day made one fit. I'm sure he'll be along to add his 2cents... or use the search feature to see how many times this tire has already been discussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
I just go with it..
Been trying to. Honestly, I'm just not that comfortable yet. I just haven't been riding that long, and my nerves (while they have settled a ton) still aren't ready for that, haha.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
I just go with it.. Every bike I have follows the rain grooves so I just kinda ride it out like being drunk. Nothing I can do about it.. just gotta live with that vague feeling until I get past it ;)

Tires that are deflated and have no linear tread work best for me. My TW200 with 12 PSI in the street tires is pretty planted. Vespas with 30 PSI in Michelin S83 tires are real pucker inducing rides.
That used to drive me bonkers. Rain grooves, or the pavement grooves where they have ground the pavement for repair or just longitudinal grooves where the pavement sections join, all the same squirrelly behavior.

There is no need to put up with that. It's primarily the tires. I used to run Contis (the RB? TB? series) since new. I switched to Avon Roadriders and glory hallelujah no more tracking on grooves. And superb handling away from grooves. Currently I'm on a set of Bridgestone SS11 Spitfires which are also immune to grooves and have (reportedly) great wear characteristics in addition to good manners. The squirrelly behavior is an unneccesary distraction and an unacceptable safety hazard.

Of course, properly adjusted wheel bearings, steering bearings and swingarm bearings all help to get around the odd pavement behavior.

As Blaine says:
Quote:
but try a set of modern tread street tires and you'll immediately ditch the k70
--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 09-24-2014 at 04:10 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote