Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #241
hetkind
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Hey Howard, I'll definitely be there!!! Glad to hear Hugo is ok, and glad to know you.
As we get closer to riding season, we will firm up the dates. We live in a area that is great for adventure riding...the paved road that leads to our house becomes dirt and goes over a couple of mountains and we link up to a zillion square miles of national forest.

Plus we got plenty of camping up here and a fully functional motorcycle repair facility.

Spring comes a little bit later here due to our elevation...

Howard
hetkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #242
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,213
Time to give it a little push, as it was way back in the cheap seats...
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #243
VictorZulu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev
Time to give it a little push, as it was way back in the cheap seats...
Thanks for bumping it up - just registered yesterday and probably wouldn't have found the thread for a time...

I have an '83 in the garage without much history; I bought it new from Atlas Cycle in Tulsa. My riding was interrupted while I raised 5 kids and spent far too much money on several small airplanes.

Having gotten the airplanes out of my system, now that the first two daughters are at (expensive) university, it's time to breath some life back into the old girl. Fortunately, I removed the carbs years ago, cleaned them and stored in ziplock bags. Removed the tank, as well. Turned the engine now and then, avoided stuck cylinders, otherwise left her well insulated under several layers of garage clutter.

Since pictures are mandatory, I'll post something when I get home from work, but you're not gonna' like it! I'll certainly need some help with restoration advice - looks like I've found the right place.
VictorZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #244
hetkind
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
best of luck restoring the bike...there are some Airhead Techdays coming up in April in Pa, KY and Tn...I am hosting the TN one, Detzer, the KY Airmarshall is doing the KY one and Roth is doing the PA one...

Let us know how we can help...

Howard
hetkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #245
VictorZulu
Adventurer

'83 ST produced in the first US batch Oct '82: 7067
Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #246
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,802
Cool! Looks like we're filling in more numbers from the Oct 82 production batch.

Coincidentally, mine lived in Kentucky back around the 1st or 2nd owner (I'm the 4th).

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #247
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorZulu
'83 ST produced in the first US batch Oct '82: 7067
Thank you, updated the list.. we all want to see it now... I bet there can't be many original owner ST's out there, how much did it cost you new?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #248
VictorZulu
Adventurer

Crap. 3/4 through a nice chatty reply and I fat-finger it into the aether.
Think I'll just head out to the garage and see if I can manage a photo...
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #249
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just a little lift to the front....
Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #250
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
New to the list

I would like to add my 1983 R80st to your list. Number 7255.
It's a red one with 48,817 miles as of today. It has saddlebags and a Seibenrock seat that is soon to get a makeover. A fun little bike!
Jim
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #251
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

All done...

looks like your one and Fat Pat's, came down the line together..
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #252
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Wtb R80st

Hello everyone-

I just sold my 2009 F650GS Twin and want to replace it with a R80ST. I have signed up for the Yahoo Group and asked for any leads and thought I'd come over to my ADVRider community and ask the same.

Do you know of any good ones for sale? I have found a couple candidates. One of them I believe is the bike that was previously owned by Gezerbike's friend from page 4?? It's for sale at Gateway BMW in Missouri. My concern is there hasn't been any major work done... wouldn't it be getting close with this mileage? http://www.walnecks.com/find/listing...80ST--95164315

Also there is one in Boise which I could actually do a fly and ride. Seems like a lot of good work has been done to it. I'm not crazy about the color though. But seems like a decent price too. http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/1792535343.html

Cheers,
Rebecca

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #253
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,802
Lotus, a lot of this is my opinion, so take that for what its worth, but I'll hit the important points that jump out at me.

The silver bike at Gateway is one of the three original colors for these bikes. To me that's a plus, even if it turns out to be a repaint. I understand Gateway has a good reputation, but someone else will have to jump in on this opinion. The bike looks well cared for just from the long distance pics. I bought mine at around 34K miles and it was well cared for. I had some transmission issues later on that were solely caused by a previous owner up north parking the bike for a really long time with water in the transmission oil. (Documented the fun in my Tale of Two Transmissions thread on here about 1 1/2 years ago). Other than my misfortune, that bike at that mileage shouldn't have any major issues coming up. The usual electric stuff can crap out from age - switches, relays etc., but that can happen to newer bikes just as easily.

The other bike... well some of the facts in the sellers ad don't jive with the R80 ST history as I have read about it. Production numbers are off; I'm not sure about the number quoted as total US imports. That kind of inaccuracy red-flags an ad for me. The green color is not a stock color. (They were sold in red, silver, and gray - yeah, seems odd). The unknown mileage isn't a big problem if it is because the speedo cable was broken for a while. But if the speedo or odometer is broken, that may cost you some $$.

The silver bike still has the air injection plumbing on it, while the green bike has had it removed. If you are not familiar with the ramifications, the short version is the air injection supposedly caused higher temps around the exhaust valve which could hasten valve seat recession. (Mine still had it when I bought at 34K miles. No valve seat recession, but I did remove the plumbing and stored it away).

For either bike, they look pretty clean. Also for either one, dig into the condition of the exhaust system. The stock muffler and pre-muffler, or collector box are NLA from BMW. The header pipes still were last time I checked. The good news is that Keihan in England makes identical replicas in stainless steel that are of good quality and some of the pieces are actually cheaper than the OEM stuff. I got lucky and got a great deal on a blemished Staintune R100 GS muffler in stainless that bolts right up like the stock muffler, but down the road I will be ordering Keihan headers and collector box for my ST.

If you are new to airheads, spend some time with a big cup of caffiene and read through Snowbum's site - really good expertise for free. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techindex.htm

That's enough of my ideas... Next! ...

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #254
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Thanks Mark,

I asked about the un-original paint scheme. The current owner said that there were some spots that had been worn and it didn't appear that it had been any other color than green. He thought maybe it had been custom painted from the factory?? He did provide us with the VIN and my husband followed up with the Boise BMW dealership.

I really do like the look of the Missouri bike (makes my heart go pitter-pat) but I guess one thing of concern is that there seems to be some signs that the head gaskets were sealed with gasket sealant. A no-no from what I've been told.

I'm not mechanically inclined but hope to learn to take care of the basics on one of these bikes... so I really appreciate the link.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #255
Croissant Warrior
Because it's there

Oddometer: 188
What the heck is "...air injection plumbing"? Sounds like some fancy German engineering talk.
Croissant Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote