Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #256
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croissant Warrior
What the heck is "...air injection plumbing"? Sounds like some fancy German engineering talk.
It's one of those goofy smog solutions that came along in the 80s: reduce emissions by injecting air into the exhaust port, which causes more of the unburnt fuel to combust on it's way out.

Rebecca - I didn't see anything like you mentioned - non standard headgasket sealer - but didn't look that close either. The bike looks like a very nice example to me.

I would say that both of these are priced higher than I normally see. They're usually $3-4K, but then again, this is summertime (maybe not where I'm from in the PNW) and those are fairly nice looking examples. Mark's evaluation warrants consideration - namely all the work done and whether it was done well or quickie to sell, a lack of mileage (not even a guesstimate) tends to indicate high mileage, and I'd be a bit leery of that one.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #257
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,469
I would snap up that silver bike if I was in the US, damn that things sharpe, and if the milage is true, it is hardly run in!
My ST has 64k on the clock, and has no issues, I had one of the heads off at the weekend to replace a split push rod tube, just a half hour job, so don't worry about the head gasket, this is an easy fix, and gives you a chance to see the pistons and valves.
I also see it has the rare original front fairing, very nice.

Good luck with your search.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #258
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Can anyone tell me more about this oil pan?

This is a detail from the black european bike

Last time I checked, those Fallert magnesium pans were still available from Motoren Isreal but they're probably expensive. Everything they sell is good but painfully expensive!

One of the guys around here sold two or three NOS pans and they went for between $800 and $1000 each. I wanted one but decided to spend my cash on more horsepower.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #259
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croissant Warrior
What the heck is "...air injection plumbing"? Sounds like some fancy German engineering talk.
Not at all german, most new bikes have the same sort of system.

The basic deal is the injection of fresh air into the exhaust tract after the combustion chamber. This air combined with the heat completes the combustion of unburned gas.

The trouble is since it's doing this in the exhaust pipes it raises the temps in the hottest part of the engine.

On airheads the system is easy to remove, or render non working.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #260
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
I would snap up that silver bike if I was in the US, damn that things sharpe, and if the milage is true, it is hardly run in!
My ST has 64k on the clock, and has no issues, I had one of the heads off at the weekend to replace a split push rod tube, just a half hour job, so don't worry about the head gasket, this is an easy fix, and gives you a chance to see the pistons and valves.
I also see it has the rare original front fairing, very nice.
Honz at Gateway BMW is checking the compression on that silver beauty for me today. He did mention the valve cover sealant. (He's getting A++ for forthrightness) What issues might that be hiding?? And more importantly how much money could possibly be involved in rectifying said issue?

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #261
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The silver bike still has the air injection plumbing on it, while the green bike has had it removed. If you are not familiar with the ramifications, the short version is the air injection supposedly caused higher temps around the exhaust valve which could hasten valve seat recession. (Mine still had it when I bought at 34K miles. No valve seat recession, but I did remove the plumbing and stored it away).
Mark1305 is it relatively easy to see if there has been valve seat recession? Is this something I should ask Gateway BMW to check before I consider buying from them?

Thanks for all your wisdom everyone!! :)

Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #262
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
The valves can be checked by pulling a plug and shining a flash light into the hole. A recessed valve will be obvious. After suffering thorugh a badly recessed valve at the rally in Tenn last summer, I'd be sure to have that item checked before buying the bike.

OTOH the sealant could be hiding a head with a warped surface (At least that was what was going on with one of my heads!) The fix is to have a machinist mill the top surface of the head flat.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #263
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

It's clear your mind is OK

Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #264
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,980
Valve seat recession - When I bought mine, I did the usual stuff changing out all the fluids and checking the valves. Then I checked valves every 500 - 600 miles for a couple of times, then every 1000 - 1500.

Edit: I just got back from a couple of hours with my kid at the doctor office - minor stuff, so I don't know what has been added while I was away from the keyboard. I'll just finish my response as I started it...

Seat recession will show as valve clearances closing up over relatively low mileages. Once I established little or no change to mine over a few thousand miles, I quit worrying about seat recession and now check valves at the regular intervals.

Some bikes from this period will have it and others never will. Its not the end of the world, although it is one more pain in the wallet if it happens. The two most common bits of advice I've read are to: 1) avoid running at or near redline a lot; 2) remove or plug the air injection system to lower temps around the exhaust valve area.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #265
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks mark1305 & mymindsok!

If you're ever in Eugene, Oregon I'd love to treat you to a good bottle of wine or a microbrew!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #266
mark1305

Mmmhhhh! Microbrew. Wine. I'll have to take you up on it if I ever make it up that way - and riding through the Pacific Northwet is on my list. I was hoping, but just can't swing it in conjunction with the MOA Rally this year due to some family gatherings/weddings/etc., in GA over the same dates.

One of these days, though. And it may well be on the R80 ST I'm liking that bike more and more over time and more miles/trips.

Good luck choosing a bike. The R80 ST got a raw deal when it was being sold back in the day. Maybe just the wrong bike at the wrong time. But there are good reasons that they are so highly sought after now. And it really isn't related to the bike's relative scarcity. It's the bike's qualities.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #267
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
there are good reasons that they are so highly sought after now. And it really isn't related to the bike's relative scarcity. It's the bike's qualities.
Ain't that the truth
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #268
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
The R80 ST got a raw deal when it was being sold back in the day. Maybe just the wrong bike at the wrong time. But there are good reasons that they are so highly sought after now. And it really isn't related to the bike's relative scarcity. It's the bike's qualities.
Well part of it was also the look.
The R80ST didn't look very good back then.
The angle of tank in relationship to the seat was pretty different for it's time.
Even more different then the G/S which at the time was some kind of different.

I think had the ST looked more like say the R100R it might have done a little better.

But then it wouldn't be as cool as it is now.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #269
mark1305

I agree completely.

If a big tank from a /6 or /5 would fit without mods, it would curre the visual problem with the ST tank.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #270
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,075
yep
a quirky-looking bike.

headlamp/instrument binnacle is a styling mess
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote