Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #376
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Yep ,mine's gone since I bought her too .Ugly bit of plastic.

I slumped a little aeroscreen out of acrylic and it doesn't look too bad .

Sibbo screwed with this post 04-17-2011 at 03:25 PM
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #377
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack View Post
Flyscreen looks purpose made. Nice. I never liked that dash cluster on my R65 either...

Are the saddlebag/muffler guard(s) custom made?
Yes, but I first made them for a Transalp. The TA is gone so a little creative bending and they fit the ST. Now I'm looking for OEM bag mounts but I'm finding them scarce. Already have the asymmetrical bag set.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #378
thevulture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Man, that is looking GOOD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygary View Post
From this:

to this:

Quick rundown on what was done over the past 7 months.
G/S front end with 21" wheel
Tomasalli handlebars
Acerbis Rally pro handguards
Solo seat, rack
24 L GS tank
Ohlins rear shock
Pivot Pegz
Flying Teapot sidestand
Enduralast charging system
High front fender
New OEM black rear fender..
G/S center stand

Making a ST more like a G/S creates a domino effect of spending.. proceed with caution if you are inclined to attempt!

Still have all the ST body, mech stuff to put back to stock if needed.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #379
RubberChicken
Faster

Oddometer: 15
Pretty awesome collection of STs. especially like the one with the R65LS nose on it. Wish I had thought of that for mine.

I had R80ST #6207001, the first US R80ST made. Sold it to a customer who resold it to a friend in CA who still has it. The bike was fitted with a BCW fairing, painted in Spheric Silver with R90S bars and I doubled up the lower bar clamps to raise the bars an inch. That helped all the cables work better and made the riding position better with a large tank bag. I rode that bike to Alaska, all around the CONUS and into Mexico.

I dug around and I found old color slide photo that I scanned digitally. The ST is third from the left in this photo, taken at BMW of Staten Island on Port Richmond Ave. in mid-April of 1983.

In the photo, from left: Me (Tom Cutter), Richard Franklin, Joey Spadafora, Paul Benson, Arthur Giangrande, Jim DeSapio, Steve Harkavy, John Esposito. Photo by Jim Tyson, not shown. Paula Pesin (now Mrs. Cutter) and Rick Dalton.

The bike was fitted with a BCW fairing, painted in Spheric Silver with R90S bars and I doubled up the lower bar clamps to raise the bars an inch. That helped all the cables work better and made the riding position better with a large tank bag. I rode that bike to Alaska, all around the CONUS and into Mexico.
Attached Images

RubberChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #380
hetkind
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
Pretty awesome collection of STs. especially like the one with the R65LS nose on it. Wish I had thought of that for mine.

I had R80ST #6207001, the first US R80ST made. Sold it to a customer who resold it to a friend in CA who still has it. The bike was fitted with a BCW fairing, painted in Spheric Silver with R90S bars and I doubled up the lower bar clamps to raise the bars an inch. That helped all the cables work better and made the riding position better with a large tank bag. I rode that bike to Alaska, all around the CONUS and into Mexico.
Welcome to the forum Tom, I was wondering when you would get here...

My R80ST and Jill's R100GS are pointed out this morning, I think a few miles of local gravel should be fun today.

Howard
hetkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #381
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Oddometer: 153
Just purchased

This is my new '83 R80ST, just purchased. she's on a truck right now, headed to her new home in Colorado. Please add me to the list. She reportedly has about 50,000 mi. (new speedo), with dual disc upgrade, stainless steel brake lines, Works Performance Shock, upgrade fork springs, GPS mount and wired, newly painted tank, and much more.
Lucky me. VIN#6207621, so looks like produced March, '83. Click on the URL for another pic.

http://uhuru.smugmug.com/Other/Bills..._HBBSRww-A-LB][/url]

Uhuru screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 08:48 AM
Uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #382
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 124
Nice bike

Nice bike Uhuru!

I saw this for sale for quite a few weeks and thought about it and thought about it, but the fact that it was 2,000 miles away made me decide against it. It sure is a sweet looking ride!
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #383
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Thanks, Suruppak!

Thanks, Suruppak! I'm excited to get my new baby--I just learned the stork is in Denver now! Wouldn't you know, en route to Boulder from northern CA she had to ride to Bloomingdale, IL first.

Uhuru screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 07:05 AM
Uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #384
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,866
Nice bike! I like them in white. The first one I test rode was a nice pearl white.

That seat looks to be slightly reshaped and in a more comfortable way.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #385
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Thanks, Mark1305

Thanks, Mark1305. I love it in white also. Classic adventure color. On the seat issue, good eye. The seat is a Rocky's touring flat adventure seat. Rocky's is reportedly in Clovis, CA (I'm told it is www.rockybags.com). This seat was constructed specifically for the prior owner who swears by them. I'll know soon if I like it, but there's about 30 # more to the prior owner than me-- --"Not that there's anything wrong with that," as Seinfeld says...
Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #386
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuru View Post
Thanks, Mark1305. I love it in white also. Classic adventure color. On the seat issue, good eye. The seat is a Rocky's touring flat adventure seat. Rocky's is reportedly in Clovis, CA (I'm told it is www.rockybags.com). This seat was constructed specifically for the prior owner who swears by them. I'll know soon if I like it, but there's about 30 # more to the prior owner than me-- --"Not that there's anything wrong with that," as Seinfeld says...
I bet Rocky's would "shave" it for you at little charge to get the seat just "right" for you. Nice looking bike! I had mine trucked from Las Vegas...and had to meet the guy at the local Wal mart to retrieve it. Who knew you could also buy a bike at walmart!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #387
Suruppak
hack

R80ST in GA

Here's one in Georgia if there's anyone interested. Just saw it on Craigslist, I like to keep shopping bikes even after I've bought one.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/2360447288.html
Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #388
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Great idea, Jenna

Asking Rocky's to "shave it" a bit is a great idea, Jenna. I'll talk to them after the bike arrives and I figure out what tweaks the seat needs to suit my derriere.
I LOVE that red ST for sale in GA. I, too, keep looking even after I buy one.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #389
Suruppak
hack

Good enough for this year

I just updated my photo album with what my ST looks like now. This is pretty much as good as it's going to get until this winter. If I can find a good quarter fairing or something, that may get added. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #390
Suruppak
hack

Darn it

Forgot the link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1080756...eat=directlink