Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #391
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suruppak View Post
I just updated my photo album with what my ST looks like now. This is pretty much as good as it's going to get until this winter. If I can find a good quarter fairing or something, that may get added. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Parabellum Scout.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #392
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,404
anybody new hanging around?
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #393
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 124
Well, now it's back to riding the Harley

A couple of days ago, I took off riding. I got a couple miles from the house when I hear a loud clattering and clanging. I turned around and rode home. I put it up on the center stand to start it up and try to identify the source of the noise. When I hit the starter button, it made the exact same noise, but the motor didn't turn over. I immediately thought the starter must have stayed engaged when I left the house and then broke the bendix or something. When I took the starter off and put it on the bench, it worked perfectly, so I went to inspect the flywheel and found this.

Does anyone know what might have caused this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZbu3gykU5Q
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #394
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,934
Ouch! That vid doesn't look good. Can you see in well enough to tell if bolts backed out or sheared? Or if the F/W itself broke up? Either way, there may be serious collateral damage. But think positive as you dig into it.

Hoping for a better outcome than a worse one for you. STs kind of grow on you more over time.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #395
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Ouch-a-rooni!

If the clutch worked that must mean that the ring gear separated from the carrier? Is that correct? Yikes.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #396
hetkind
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
A couple of days ago, I took off riding. I got a couple miles from the house when I hear a loud clattering and clanging. I turned around and rode home. I put it up on the center stand to start it up and try to identify the source of the noise. When I hit the starter button, it made the exact same noise, but the motor didn't turn over. I immediately thought the starter must have stayed engaged when I left the house and then broke the bendix or something. When I took the starter off and put it on the bench, it worked perfectly, so I went to inspect the flywheel and found this.

Does anyone know what might have caused this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZbu3gykU5Q
You simply snapped the welds on the ring gear, that is a two piece built up assembly IIRC. Just go get a new one and put it in, remember to block the crank when you remove the flywheel.

I will spend a little time today prepping the R80ST for a ride to the MOA rally this week.

Howard (R80ST Yahoo Forum Moderator)
hetkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #397
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 124
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies everyone! A snapped off ring gear makes sense. It will be a while before I tear into it because I have to clean out my garage first to give myself some extra room to work! When I do so, I will take a lot of pictures and post them for the next person this may happen to.
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #398
hetkind
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone! A snapped off ring gear makes sense. It will be a while before I tear into it because I have to clean out my garage first to give myself some extra room to work! When I do so, I will take a lot of pictures and post them for the next person this may happen to.
It is NOT that big of a job...2 hours to get tranny out, 2 hours cleanup, painting battery box, 30 minutes pulling clutch and swapping flywheel and 3 hours on reassembly, if you dog it.

On the other hand, we pulled the R100GS tranny out and it was apart for two months, most of that waiting for the gear box to return and work related travel.

Howard
Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #399
mark1305

hetkind, I never realized you were the Yahoo ST Forum Mod. I don't post there a lot unless i have something worth adding to the dialogue. But I keep up via the Digest.

Hope to meet you in Bloomsburg. I'll try to wear something ADV every day and my ride will be a red R80 ST with a Staintune R100gs pipe and no pinstripes nor blackout on the lower side panels.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #400
hetkind
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
hetkind, I never realized you were the Yahoo ST Forum Mod. I don't post there a lot unless i have something worth adding to the dialogue. But I keep up via the Digest.

Hope to meet you in Bloomsburg. I'll try to wear something ADV every day and my ride will be a red R80 ST with a Staintune R100gs pipe and no pinstripes nor blackout on the lower side panels.
Hugo asked me to take over a last year as he got busier with his professional life:-) I will be on a 83 Silver R80ST with the g/s left battery cover, Manxman sport fairing and Keihan exhaust, probably parked next to my wife's 1990 R100GS. Look for us either at the Airhead tent or the MacPac tent. Jill bike will be easy to spot going in, there will be a keg of home brewed beer strapped it the luggage rack. In other words, look for the ST with the bikini fairing.

Howard
Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #401
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,404
Follow the Beer!

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #402
hetkind
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Follow the Beer!

And this keg is a dark english ale. The ale is currently sitting in a glass carboy on the kitchen counter, waiting to be racked into a "corney" keg that I rebuilt this weekend with new gaskets, seals, pressure test, and sanitizing. A bottle of carbon dioxide and regulator will meet us at the rally, but we are carring a party tap and the correct connection fittings.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #403
mark1305

Cool! I'll watch out for you.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #404
hetkind
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Cool! I'll watch out for you.
That will work...

Howard
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #405