Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #766
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
For a re-build all road R100R I made a fiberglass toolbox on that place. Personally I like my tools to be a bit easier to reach. So when I am traveling I don't have to take the luggage and the seat of to grab my tools.
But I'm still thinking about where to put them safe and dry.The last trip they were in a bag on one of the racks above my cylinders. But after every river crossing my tools were wet for days.( toolbox...next project )

For another bike I made a bash plate that holds the battery. That bike feels like its half the weight of a standard bike.Really a huge difference .

But for this ST I think I will leave it like it is for now.
Really interesting ideas, my ST has a 100GS tank and for long trips on the tar it's great but the weight is too high on the dirt or moving very slowly.

Thinking, thinking .
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #767
BMWrider79
Me

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
How many rpm are you doing at 60mph 79 ?
Sorry, I don't know yet. I bolted up the neg. cable for the first time yesterday to see if all the electrics work. The Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit worked well and the starter engaged, but sadly the turn signal relay seems to have bit the dust.

Like you suggested I don't expect the 5% taller gear to be a great change - just something I could do while I had the box apart and with the lower ratio of the f/d I can't imagine it'll put much more strain on anything. Airhead engines run just fine for hours on end at the upper rev. limits though so don't worry about that.
BMWrider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #768
hetkind
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Hmmm... that's pretty much what my girl does, I guess I'm just averse to much over 4000 rpm sustained . I like revs on the hills and twisties but not for hours at a time .... no good reason .
Actually these bikes are designed to run between 4-6k on a continuous basis...normally I run mine between 4-5k. 4K is suggested as a minimum RPM for normal use.

Howard
hetkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #769
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Actually these bikes are designed to run between 4-6k on a continuous basis...normally I run mine between 4-5k. 4K is suggested as a minimum RPM for normal use.

Howard
Really? I've never seen that quoted before , it certainly puts my prefered use outside guidelines !
Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #770
hetkind
Adventurer

Quote:
Really? I've never seen that quoted before , it certainly puts my prefered use outside guidelines !
The 4k normal RPM range is based on 3k required for full alternator operation and 4k is suggested as not to "lug" the engine and to give full oiling to things like the valve train and timing chain.

This figure has been highly debated on the "Airheads" list server and supported by some of the American "gurus" like Oak, Snobum and Cutter, two of those I know personally and one who has been a houseguest of ours.

Howard
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #771
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
The 4k normal RPM range is based on 3k required for full alternator operation and 4k is suggested as not to "lug" the engine and to give full oiling to things like the valve train and timing chain.

This figure has been highly debated on the "Airheads" list server and supported by some of the American "gurus" like Oak, Snobum and Cutter, two of those I know personally and one who has been a houseguest of ours.

Howard
OK, good to know although I usually bumble along at between 3000 and 4000, I'll try to overcome my prejudice against high revs !
Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #772
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,636
Anton has a good gear ratio chart, you can play with different rear end and gear combinations to find theoretical rpm's at speed...

Per his chart, the standard ST with a 37/11 (3.36) rear end, at 5000 rpm in fifth you are doing approx 75mph.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #773
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,888
My results agree with what Bob just posted from Anton's info. My tach starts to get erratic when cruising at anything over about 5200 for more than a couple of minutes. But during my slogs up I-95 to get out of Flatistan and onto regular hiways I'm matching most car traffic at 5K rpm. And experience has shown that most traffic on that stretch runs at about 74-75 mph.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #774
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,636
Finally figured a way to put Anton's chart on here (but it is interactive if you go to the site)

Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #775
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Finally figured a way to put Anton's chart on here (but it is interactive if you go to the site)

The one thing to remember with that is that it assumes a 6.6 foot wheel circumference. I'm not sure what the circumference of the 18" ST rear wheel is. Anyone care to wrap a measuring tape around?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #776
mark1305

I measured mine with a 50% tread Avon Distanzia and got 6' 10".

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #777
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
...which is exactly what I happen to have on my back wheel at the moment. 82/79 = 1.0379 so add 3.8% to those speeds for our wheels.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #778
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,804
Quote:
Got the same thing with a fairly new 606.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #779
mark1305

Something drifted through my brain this morning about wheel circumference - I have a faint recollection that rolling circumference may be different than static measurements due to the slight reduction in radius at the contact patch as the tire deforms ever so slightly from the load on it. May be hogwash, or something I dreamed. If the rain showers will hold off for a little while I will roll the ST out and pick up the actual rolling circumference with my weight on the bike.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #780
hetkind
Adventurer

Quote:
Something drifted through my brain this morning about wheel circumference - I have a faint recollection that rolling circumference may be different than static measurements due to the slight reduction in radius at the contact patch as the tire deforms ever so slightly from the load on it. May be hogwash, or something I dreamed. If the rain showers will hold off for a little while I will roll the ST out and pick up the actual rolling circumference with my weight on the bike.
or simply go to the AVON website and get the outside diameter...

Howard