Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #76
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
#7278 '83 not sure what the original color was? I've got about 17,000 on her, not sure what the po put on. The motor was a swap by the po, i believe it was because of the recession of the exhaust valves. I love this bike!! on or off road she has never let me down and always leaves a smile on my face. I have quite a few grand in her and plan on putting more, going for a new charging system, probably the brushless from rick, and a toaster tan top clamp since the original is smiling at me. thanks guys for letting everyone know we are out there!!! great idea. wish i could post a pic, but photo shop and advrider don't get along when you have a mac and no computer knowledge. Ill keep trying
jenna
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #77
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev
I doubt it will be very big, maybe ten worldwide?

I never thought this would make it too 6 pages.
That's cool.

Thanks for starting this thread.

By the way my ST is an 83 at least that's what is says on my title.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 AM   #78
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,007
loving the looks of this

great looking ride.

So what's it like with that Mystic front wheel.
I imagine there are more tire options. Did the mod change the suspension geometry.. 18" rim, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgardner
1050 long-rod, dual-plugged, fuel injected, LS nose, K100 front end, Mystic front wheel, deep sump, oil cooler, frame braces, 32/10 rear end, Ohlins blah blah blah...
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #79
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Wow! I just looked back at the first post in this thread with the updated registry listing and was surprised to find I'm holding the low serial number so far

But one small correction is in order - mine is actually an 83 model vice 82. It was built in Oct 82, though.
Looks like I'm still holding on to the high number. Likewise another correction: although made in 9/83, mine is an '84 model year.

E-Kev - Nice work on this thread. Someone needs to tell all the folks over at the Yahoo R80st group to come on over and sound off.

rcgardner - Feel like telling us more about your fuel injection system and how you pulled off that mod? Has your gas mileage improved? Maybe not with the 1050 kit though. Either way, THAT'S ONE.......NICE........RIDE.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #80
Renner
infamous wrench

[quote=Airhead Wrangler] Someone needs to tell all the folks over at the Yahoo R80st group to come on over and sound off.

I made mention of this thread the other day, posted a link.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #81
rcgardner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Happy ST

The serial number on my ST is 6207491. I'm the second owner. The original owner immedately put cast iron dual rotors on it and 980cc components. The oil pressure switch failed out on Rt129 10 years ago and ruined the crankshaft. That's when it became a 1050 long-rod. (Carillo rods are 10mm overlength with piston pin under oil ring.) Fuel injection can be reprogrammed by popping off the seat and plugging your notebook.
rcgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #82
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Got it!! Heres the old girl. Thanks to England-Kev for the offer.
jenna
barbee5
DSC02197
Attached Images

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 09-28-2009 at 05:38 PM Reason: picture died
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #83
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Thanks to England-Kev for the offer.
jenna
SHhhhh, you'll only get the rumours going

Bike looks good, and well used. some changes done there then.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #84
endocrantz
whatever

Oddometer: 81
Built in late '83 (the frame sticker says October which matches the table) my ST ends in 7812 - it was NY titled as an '84 when I bought it.

I am in NH, but I picked up the bike from a guy in Nyack, NY eight or so years ago. I believe it was a NYC commuter most of its life. I have the previous-previous owner's name somewhere, but I never tried contacting him. He was from the NYC area also.

It now cruises NH in semi-retirement, at least compared to NYC commuting. It's still a pretty clean bike and runs strong.

endo

endocrantz screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 09:31 AM
endocrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #85
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,934
endo-, Is that a Corbin or Sargent seat on there? It looks like they got the amount of dish just right for the front section.

I got a Corbin with mine, but the front was cut way too low for me so I ended up selling it to someone that wanted a low cut seat.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #86
Renner
infamous wrench

Nice pic endo.
I'm curious about the seat too, looks good.
Stock STs usually appear aesthetically challenged to me.

Yours is easy on the eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endocrantz
It's still a pretty clean bike and runs strong.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #87
endocrantz
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
endo-, Is that a Corbin or Sargent seat on there? It looks like they got the amount of dish just right for the front section.

I got a Corbin with mine, but the front was cut way too low for me so I ended up selling it to someone that wanted a low cut seat.
It is a Corbin. I am real happy with it. They still make them for the ST. The bars from Magura and are comparatively straight and flat, and a bit narrow, the correct number stamped in them for another BMW, can't remember which. Between the seat and those bars the bike has a different appearance, bordering on sporty/cafe without the bags and rack on especially. The bags are handy to me, so they stay.

I never thought I'd see an ST on adv-rider, I joined for info on my XR600R which I actually have two of. I am making an adventure/enduro out of one and weighing other options. This is a great place to see what others have done - and certainly looking at all these STs is no different.

endo

endocrantz screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 04:35 AM
Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #88
Renner
infamous wrench

Thumb So... do you go RTW often?

That bike has some serious long-range chops, Hardwaregrrl.

And lines of perspective in the pic are virtually vertigo-inducing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Got it!! Heres the old girl.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #89
endocrantz
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner
That bike has some serious long-range chops, Hardwaregrrl.

And lines of perspective in the pic are virtually vertigo-inducing.
The difference between mine and Hardwaregrrl's is an interesting contrast - as much as the background!

I like that setup Hardwaregrrl - how much does the tank hold? I have often thought of converting the ST into an adventurer. The biggest off-road challenge - or fear - is the deep oil pan they came with. It drops well below the frame cradle. A guy I know reportedly holed his pan going across some grass. Front wheel dropped into a hole and the pan smacked a rock. As he motored along he cooked the bottom end. Ouch! I could always swap it out for a standard pan and put a guard on, but I appreciate the deep pan at the same time. So she stays a street tourer for now.

endo
Old 10-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #90
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by endocrantz
I have often thought of converting the ST into an adventurer. The biggest off-road challenge - or fear - is the deep oil pan they came with.
Endo-
I'm about to remedy that situation with an oil pan from a '94 GSPD and a bash plate from twinheadlight ernie. It'll probably happen this weekend. I'll report back on how it goes. I dinged my stock oil pan pretty well up in alaska. I was speeding along doing about 60 on a dirt road when I heard a loud CLANK. I knew exactly what it was when I heard it and stopped immediately to check it out. My front wheel had flung a ping pong ball sized rock (guessing from the sound of the impact) up which hit my oil pan. Luckily it just dented a little instead of cracking. That scared me enough to convince me that I needed a bash plate.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote