User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2008, 03:07 AM   #31
RTW Motorcycling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Hi Sailwa,

Great post and workmanship, look forward to the pics from the trail!

Surprisingly there are a few of Ducati's that have been used for dual purpose riding. I rode in Africa last year with two guys on Multistrada's that went from Italy to South Africa. Their mods are similar to yours and they have some great tales of riding and performing road side maintainance. I have fond memories of riding around Gondor, Ethiopia on the back of a scooter with the town motorcycle mechanic (a nine year old kid) looking for someone, anyone with a 32(?) mm wrench to take that stinking rear tire off. Some bikes are not really designed with rider maintainance in mind:)

I haven't seen the article yet but in this months issue of the South African mag Top Bike, there is an article that talks about their trip. I'll look through some of my pics and track down a pic of their bikes and will post it. Great guys, so if you wanted to chat to them about other modifications that they made, they would be happy to help and have a lot of miles of riding and crash testing under their belt. Let me know if you want to catch up with them and I can pass along their e-mails addresses. Cheers.
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #32
sailwa66 OP
Captain Cheap A**

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling
Hi Sailwa,

Great post and workmanship, look forward to the pics from the trail!

Surprisingly there are a few of Ducati's that have been used for dual purpose riding. I rode in Africa last year with two guys on Multistrada's that went from Italy to South Africa. Their mods are similar to yours and they have some great tales of riding and performing road side maintainance. I have fond memories of riding around Gondor, Ethiopia on the back of a scooter with the town motorcycle mechanic (a nine year old kid) looking for someone, anyone with a 32(?) mm wrench to take that stinking rear tire off. Some bikes are not really designed with rider maintainance in mind:)

I haven't seen the article yet but in this months issue of the South African mag Top Bike, there is an article that talks about their trip. I'll look through some of my pics and track down a pic of their bikes and will post it. Great guys, so if you wanted to chat to them about other modifications that they made, they would be happy to help and have a lot of miles of riding and crash testing under their belt. Let me know if you want to catch up with them and I can pass along their e-mails addresses. Cheers.
I'd love to hear from those guys! Feel free to send them my e-mail, sailwa66 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Did you post a trip report here?

I just cut a 46mm wrench out of 7075 aluminum that I plan on zip-tying to the bike's frame for just such an occasion. Once that's done, it's the easiest bike in existence to change tires out!

Ducati Multistrada Adventure Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
sailwa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #33
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling
Surprisingly there are a few of Ducati's that have been used for dual purpose riding.
Not so surprising, don't forget the Cagiva Elefant (Ducati E900), which was the basis for the winner of the '94 Paris-Dakar, and the Gran Canyon, both with Ducati 2V motors and 19/17 spoked rims. The Elefant is more dirt-capable with 8" travel Showa USD fork (there were several other models, though), and the Gran Canyon has less travel, but has FI. I'd love to have the MS motor in my Elefant!

On the Terra Mostro, it appears to share very little with the donor Monster other than the engine and tank, but I'm sure it's quite a bit lighter than any MS-based bike (or Elefant). I think a HyperMotard-based DS would be a hoot, and pretty easy to develop (rumor is that Ducati is doing it for us).
Attached Images

DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP

fallzboater screwed with this post 10-05-2008 at 07:44 AM
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #34
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Very nice

Very nice work on the Multi! I've always wished that it was more dirt worthy. The changes you made to the front end with the PIAAs is sweet. Awesome.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #35
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Awesome. I've always liked the Multi. Like yours even more.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #36
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
One of the advantages of having an ugly bike is that you really can't make it any worse.

I like what you did. The PIAAs in the "grill" is very clever. As are the crash guards.

I second losing the stickers. Makes you look like a pozer and you are diluting the value actual racers rely on from contingencies and purses by running sponsor's stickers.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #37
jamilsiddique
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wow that is amazing. I have just been on an 1800km round trip of Malaysia on a Ducati ST3. Borrrowed it off a mate as I thought it would be better than my 1098. It was and I was seriously considering to buy an ST. But after reading your thread, am really looking at an MS in a totally different light.

Be great to know when you start selling the specially made parts.
jamilsiddique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #38
roadkilt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 146

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor

Previous Bikes:
08 Versys
02 KLR
roadkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #39
sailwa66 OP
Captain Cheap A**

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I second losing the stickers. Makes you look like a pozer and you are diluting the value actual racers rely on from contingencies and purses by running sponsor's stickers.
But what if I am an actual racer? Can't I still look like a 'pozer' for fun?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #40
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
IF you were you'd know the answer to your question.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #41
fatalerror
skrik vir niks

Oddometer: 838
I think I found the trans-africa multi's website:

http://mutitrek.blogspot.com/ and http://muti-africatrek.blogspot.com/

fatalerror screwed with this post 10-06-2008 at 04:20 PM
fatalerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #42
sailwa66 OP
Captain Cheap A**

Thanks for the linky... I'll get a hold of them.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #43
63truck
Probie

Oddometer: 30
Great job on the MS.
63truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #44
GB007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Great job! I like it! I was in between the MTS and the Tiger, and ended up deciding on the Tiger. However, I still lust for the MTS. It's just so much fun to ride, and so flickable. I always thought it would do a great D/S bike. Looks great and seems really functional... The only negative I see is that you can't put TK80's on the front due to the 17 inch wheel (just like my Tiger).
GB007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #45
sailwa66 OP
Captain Cheap A**

Yeah, well, tires.... Hopefully with bikes like your Tiger and the Multi becoming more popular, the tire folks will step up with some yummy 17" DS offerings. Until then, it's Pirelli MT60 or Dunlop D616, though you can spoon a more aggressive tire on the rear (Conti's TKC80, for example).