Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 03:48 AM   #16
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltours
This is Puerta Nova from the village of Colle di Val d'Elsa. I'm considering crossposting this picture to the "...old structure"-thread as the wall is built somewhen around 11th century and still is "in use".

To be precise, the Porta Nuova (the new gate) was built by Lorenzo de'Medici in 1481. The town (with the original 11th centry walls) fell to the Pope after a 60 day siege in 1479, and Lorenzo was
determined to make sure it next time the town would be able to defend itself properly.

But, hey, what does 300 years matter around here

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #17
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
To be precise, the Porta Nuova (the new gate) was built by Lorenzo de'Medici in 1481. The town (with the original 11th centry walls) fell to the Pope after a 60 day siege in 1479, and Lorenzo was
determined to make sure it next time the town would be able to defend itself properly.

But, hey, what does 300 years matter around here

[TaSK]
hehe..uhm... well, some do really READ the stuff they googled COPLETELY from A-Z while others just pick out the words and figures they want ;-) 1479 fit's indeed quite good for that gate... but, well, there's a bit of the wall on the picture too, right..? ;-)
Cooltours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #18
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Allright. I just come back from a recovery-campain! One of my CFlashcards suddenly, out of the green showed a E/A Error. No access on neither one of the pics or files anymore. Maximum credible accident!!!

My dealer ran the revovery programm on the card and... yessssss!... the stuff is safed on DVD now!! So, that's the reason why I buy my camera stuff at the dealer: It might be a bit more expensive than on the onlineshops, but when the crunch comes he's your friend! He takes lots of money from people like me, but lends you his sholder to cry on and supports you with real knowledge and understanding when you really need it! So here's one hallelujah for my friends at

Just keep on pationed for a while, I'll prepair the stuff to be posted soon!
Old 10-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #19
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Patience on...
Old 10-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #20
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Now, before I continue posting frozen pricutes, what about some moving ones? The shots have been taken here:
here's

And here is what could have been made out of only a hand full of movies; 5' curves over relaxed German-language-Soundtrack:
Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #21
OnALark
Novice Once Removed

Oddometer: 63
Tuscany, Oh Tuscany

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Tuscany.

Came up and around a wet curve just outside of Siena and before you could say "mio Dio" we were upside down in a muddy ditch.

The men (I figured it would take three of them to right the bike) stood around smoking and talking as we picked ourselves up, check for broken body parts (none thank goodness) and picked up plastic parts (from the bike)

An diminuitive Italian woman and daughter stopped their car. She jumped down into the ditch and started pushing on the upside down R1100RT.

The bike started to come up so I helped push and the daughter pulled on the opposite handle bar and the fully loaded RT was back rubber side down.

They barely gave me a chance to say a quick thank you before they were back in the car and gone.

Ah, wonderful Tuscany.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #22
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Größere KartenansichtWondering whether this one qualifies for the old structure thread. This is “Ponte della Maddelena”, also known as ”Ponte Diavolo” over the river Serchio. It has been built 1052 – 1115 and still is usable for pedestrians and wherewith we finally anyway found a shot with some “old structure” from 11th century.;-)

This picture is not from Tuscany, but from the region of Umbria. It anyway is typical for how it looks there; Lots of vineyards, wheat- and cornfields and the villages built on top of a hill. This is how it looks from below…

….and you might have an outlook like this from above.

The Dome of Orvieto (Umbria) is freshly renovated and dressed in magnificient colours. Everything is shining in the sun and one can understand, that these kind of buildings did impress the people in former times even more than they anyway still do today. In times long before anything like TV, radio, or Photography, in times where books and information in general was accessible to very few people only, buildings like this with all their paintings, carvings and statues was the absolute “Truth”, what came most close to reality. It explains part of the power which the church had over the people back at that time.

Nowadays people stay busy with other, more ordinary things. Just having a chat over a freshly sold little bag of tea for instance…

…or a bit whining about the fact, that there’s so much still to do before winter arrives.

For me, all this is not very much important as long as there are enough twistys every day....

...and a spot to stay in the evening.

Finally, I can not finish this ridereport without sharing two more things with you. First is a picture of Michelangelo’s David (I know, there are millions of the same picture, bit this is MINE). I consider this statue to be one of the most perfect statues on the planet and I am posting it here just because a ridereport about Tuscany can’t be complete without it.

Second and last is a "secret" road which I want to share with you. You would never ride this road, only, maybe by accident, because a) may maps just don’t show it as “normal” road and b) there’s not really a reason to ride it. If anyway you do, you find most brilliant, freshly paved road. Not too wide, but very twisty and without any traffic. I was intending to ride some gravel before getting back to Perugia. So I was choosing this dotted line on my map. It was no disappointment to discover the road is paved in the meantime. At least I did the whole loop right again after finishing it the first time.

It is only the short leg between Castel di Fiori (E) and Carnaiola (F) which is a gravel road still. The road anyway very easely can be done by any kind of motorcycle.

Italy’s always good for a visit. It takes some patience once in a while but the beauty, smoothness and motorcycle-friendliness of these places are very much unique. Check out Tage’s thread "Riding in Tuscany" to see loads of more pics and get loads of more firsthand information.

So, that's it from my side for the moment now. It's

The End

Cooltours screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 07:58 AM
Old 10-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #23
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Laugh A mere copy

Quote:
Finally, I can to finish this ridereport without sharing two more things with you. First is a picture of Michelangelo’s David (I know, there are millions of the same picture, bit this is MINE). I consider this statue to be one of the most perfect statues on the planet and I am posting it here just because a ridereport about Tuscany can’t be complete without it.

ahem - the picture shows a mere copy of David.
The original is inside waiting for you to see it

A friend of mine who claims to be very sensitive, says that the copy is nice, but when he met the original for the first time he experienced Stendahl's syndrome. He had to go outside and read some poetry to recover. He tells this story over and over, with passion.

[TaSK]

Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #24
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
...just remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk

ahem - the picture shows a mere copy of David.
The original is inside waiting for you to see it

A friend of mine who claims to be very sensitive, says that the copy is nice, but when he met the original for the first time he experienced Stendahl's syndrome. He had to go outside and read some poetry to recover. He tells this story over and over, with passion.

[TaSK]

...if I may pitch in, I'd like to suggest to call ahead, reserve and buy tickets over the phone or the internet for the "Galleria degli Uffizi" (linky here: http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/Uffizi/default.aspx). This is the museum where the real statue is displayed, along with some of the world's most valuable art pieces). The line at the entrance is usually overwhelming... I was born and raised in Tuscany and I've been to Florence many, many times, but I haven't made it inside the Uffizi yet because every time I go I find a two-three hour line. If you decide to go, get ready for the wait and enjoy, it is worth it.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #25
xdxanny
xdx

Oddometer: 1
hello

Quote:
Well than, I might have a little Ride Report for you. This ride report is about almost everything my handle,

is standing for. What it is…? That’s not in short to explain. Here’s a try:
  • “Cooltour”, pronounced in English sounds like the German word “Kultur” which simply means “culture”.
  • “tours” means and sounds the same in English and in German.
  • “Coo” sounds like the German word “Kuh” which means cow. The synonym Kuh is used for a BMW Motorcycle around german speaking nations., pleas don’t ask me to explain why…
  • “Cool” doesn’t have to be translated as it also means the same around here and there.
  • “Coolt” sounds like the German word “Kult” which means “cult” in English. It is often used colloquial as an adjective like “kultig” and describes things or incidents which the speaker wants to underline and distinguish.
Now, when I say that we are back from another Cooltours, it’s never more true than after this last trip with...

...the cow.

A 10 days trip to the Italian Tuscany!! There's realy not many cooler places…

…and not many more cool people than in Tuscany.

If it comes to culture, it’s tough to beat places like Pisa

Lucca

…and most especially: Florence! Travelling to Florence is just hype and especially it seems to be quiet "kultig" for US-Citiciens to spend there some days.

Arts is everywhere in Florence!

One doesn't get tired to look at the dome from all kind of sides and angles….

…and if you find your way around all the other excited (scared to get lost in the crowd) people….

…one can look very close to worldclass artwork and craftsmanship.

Sorry, must go for my 2nd cappuccino today now. More to come soon;-)
Can you recomend me some accomodation for 1-2 days in Tuscany please?
Thank you.
xdxanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #26
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

There's no recommendation needed. There are so many nice places and if I’m making you suggestions, they will not fit your demands at all (your introduction’s a bit short, no clue what kind of travelstyle and what type of accommodation you like/prefere.)

Staying over night, in Tuscany and major parts of Italy happens in “Agritourismo’s” . You will find more each day and, if you’re ready to start your search maybe somewhen after 3pm, you’ll for sure have found a great place by 5pm latest.

One place which is a MUST for all ADVrider inmates traveling Tuscany is TageSK’s place:

The Place is located in a strategically excellent and beauty-wise in a wonderfull place. Close to the City’s of Pisa and Lucca it’s a quite great place to stay even more than one day, as it is a great base for many trips to the north, south, east and west. On top TageSK will have plenty of trip-suggestions ready, once you’re sitting at his kitchen-table.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #27
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Thumb

Quote:
One place which is a MUST for all ADVrider inmates traveling Tuscany is TageSK’s place:

The Place is located in a strategically excellent and beauty-wise in a wonderfull place.

[TaSK]
Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #28
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Thanks for the excellent ride report on Tuscany. Although I have driven in that area, I would love to ride it on my GS. The Italians have a sense of style that no one else on this planet seem to posess. And the food is beyond comparision, but then again I come from the land of great BBQ, so each area of the world has its beauty. Italy just packs alot more in a small package.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #29
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
Thanks for the excellent ride report on Tuscany. Although I have driven in that area, I would love to ride it on my GS. The Italians have a sense of style that no one else on this planet seem to posess. And the food is beyond comparision, but then again I come from the land of great BBQ, so each area of the world has its beauty. Italy just packs alot more in a small package.
...lucky us who have the freedom and power of choice
Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #30
FreeRT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Many greetings from tuscany
FreeRT is offline   Reply With Quote