ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
murdock2002 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Wanting to bring Honda Crosstourer 1200 DCT to USA

All,
For all of you who are in the USA, or may live in the USAin the future, and would like to have the honda crosstourer 120&0 DCT as an adventure tourer option like me, I need your help!

Please pick up the phone, and call Honda USA power sports and tell them we want the bike.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the Honda USA motorcycle website, got the customer support number ((866) 784-1870) and called. I chose the option "0" to speak to a customer service rep about a "other"topic, and asked the man "when is Honda going to bring the Crosstourer to the USA finally?" His response was there were no plans, but if enough people would call and express interest in the Crosstourer DCt. it might in fact happen. He took my name, phone number and email address and stated he would submit a "customer inquiry/recommendation".

I have been reading, watching, and even ridden the Honda Crosstourer (in Europe) and just came to the conclusion I really want to bring it to the USA. After 3 years of wishing and waiting to see if Honda USA would do it, I am very let down...they just made the NC700X the small exception. Unfortunately it's not a big engine, not a shaft drive, and too small for my 6'3" frame. It doesn't have spoke wheels, not comfortable for two passengers, and not something I really care to ride on long trips.

Finally, there is no other shaft drive, 1200cc engine, adventure tourer out there that has a DCT. Add in the cost effectiveness, reliability, and low maintenance costs. In my opinion, that makes the Honda crosstourer DCT not only the perfect bike for adventures into new places, but also great for dual use in the more frequently ridden miles of my daily commutes from the suburbs into urban jungles!

Honda USA....if you are reading this, bring the Crosstourer DCT to the USA!!!
murdock2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock2002 View Post
All,
For all of you who are in the USA, or may live in the USAin the future, and would like to have the honda crosstourer 120&0 DCT as an adventure tourer option like me, I need your help!

Please pick up the phone, and call Honda USA power sports and tell them we want the bike.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the Honda USA motorcycle website, got the customer support number ((866) 784-1870) and called. I chose the option "0" to speak to a customer service rep about a "other"topic, and asked the man "when is Honda going to bring the Crosstourer to the USA finally?" His response was there were no plans, but if enough people would call and express interest in the Crosstourer DCt. it might in fact happen. He took my name, phone number and email address and stated he would submit a "customer inquiry/recommendation".

I have been reading, watching, and even ridden the Honda Crosstourer (in Europe) and just came to the conclusion I really want to bring it to the USA. After 3 years of wishing and waiting to see if Honda USA would do it, I am very let down...they just made the NC700X the small exception. Unfortunately it's not a big engine, not a shaft drive, and too small for my 6'3" frame. It doesn't have spoke wheels, not comfortable for two passengers, and not something I really care to ride on long trips.

Finally, there is no other shaft drive, 1200cc engine, adventure tourer out there that has a DCT. Add in the cost effectiveness, reliability, and low maintenance costs. In my opinion, that makes the Honda crosstourer DCT not only the perfect bike for adventures into new places, but also great for dual use in the more frequently ridden miles of my daily commutes from the suburbs into urban jungles!

Honda USA....if you are reading this, bring the Crosstourer DCT to the USA!!!
Cross tour is ok... But I would really like a VFR1200T.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:13 AM   #3
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Honda..

Honda would not tell you if they were going to bring the bike, to the U.S., next week. They are more interested in making more UGLY variations of the Goldwing.
The sad thing is that if they wanted they could build an adventure bike that would "blow" everything away. I am sure they will when the adventure bike market is dead in this country.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Honda has produced the weidrest, blandest most boring nuetered street models for years. I dont even know who they are any more but have no desire for any of the crap they are making, save possibly the supersport stuff which is even years behind the competition with no slipper on the 600 or electronics package for the 1k.

I grew up on Hondas - they are dead to me now unless its a lawn mower.

as to the cross tourer they neutered the v4 and anethsitized it with the DCT. I get that is what you want but for the life of me cant understand why someone wants a DCT on a moto. Get a GS and be done with it maybe?
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
murdock2002 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post
Honda has produced the weidrest, blandest most boring nuetered street models for years. I dont even know who they are any more but have no desire for any of the crap they are making, save possibly the supersport stuff which is even years behind the competition with no slipper on the 600 or electronics package for the 1k.

as to the cross tourer they neutered the v4 and anethsitized it with the DCT. I get that is what you want but for the life of me cant understand why someone wants a DCT on a moto. Get a GS and be done with it maybe?
How do/did you like your triumph tiger?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

I love it overall. Love the triple character of the engine. With the Madstad, wind management is superb. I have 1" lower pegs and with the seat in high position the legroom is great. Things I would change are the top heavy character and the 21" front end/fender makes the front of the bike look a little strange/spindly. Overall it is A ok. More power would be nice bu 100hp with the akro is enough to get the job done.

I like to switch it up every now n then so net bike may be an 1190 or a ninja 1000. Was looking at the late model Multi 1200 as well, but its 17" fron is a little small. The KTM 1190 is just right, with power to burn.
82 Suzuki RM465
Old 06-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

To my point about Honda styling, it looks like the NM4 is available in the USA later this summer. It is a DCT bike so you might like it. It sports the latest technology including a 700c scooter engine (fuel injected!), single front disc and state of the art conventional forks.

http://powersports.honda.com/documen...TABS_Specs.pdf

As one critic put it at the Tokyo Motor Show, "it isn't pretty."
82 Suzuki RM465
Old 06-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
ADVwannabe
Salty Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I'm unsure as to how the new Crosstourer goes in the rough stuff but I have two friends here in Oz that love theirs as tall light tourers that can do unmade roads.

They rave about the comfort and speed of these things and the build quality, fit and finish is very good to my eye.

I don't understand the USA not marketing these. Good luck in your quest.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,540
I hope you guys get your wish. Not selling this bike in the world's biggest market is crazy.
It's a cracking bike with few issues. Fill the tank. Ride. Repeat.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 AM   #10
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post

A GS? Guess you simply don't understand why people want the honda over a GS then. A crosstourer is infinitely more reliable than a GS. If the final drive on a GS craps out on you, you could probably buy a complete second hand yamaha x660 tenere for the price of the fix on the bmw.

The honda will be bulletproof like almost anything from Japan. An oil/filter/tire bike that will pile up the miles. (i love motorcycles for riding and painless worry free ownership is of major importance to me)

Also, why are people bitching about the DCT. It is 100% optional?! Don't want it, order it without! To me that is just bitching for the sake of bitching, to make snarky forum posts... I don't know, maybe it is just me and my dislike for dishonest reasoning.

The V4 is not neutered at all, they tuned it down in HP to have more readily available torque down low in the revs. Of course if you base your opinions and judgement from spec sheet number crunching.... what can I say. I was riding along a crosstourer last weekend and it was positively flying. Fuelling at low revs is also faultless. It is a sad time when 'faultless' is suddenly considered 'lacking in character'. Give me faultless and perfect engineering any day, which to me is very satisfying. The first three years of the new multistrada had very poor low rev fuelling for example.

I don't want to be having fun only at redline where the 172 HP of the normal VFR is.

And neutered in terms of visceral sound? Maybe, but most bikes are these days due to EURO 3 norms. But even the stock one has, deep inside, a nice little growl when you tickle the engine. But granted, it could be a little more outspoken, however that is an easy fix, listen to this leo vince equipped V4 crosstourer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aX-LSO_dAI

But aside from that, this bike is a complete package. Finish and build quality is something to behold, really well done, typical honda. And looks? That is personal but I like it. The GS has also been an acquired taste. I actually think that I like the crosstourer more than the latest GS which is a little unpractical looking (with the large plastic scoops on the side, at least the cross tourer's plastic is fully within the crash bars if you mount them on the bike). The crosstourer somehow looks more 'modern' and 'sleek', minimalist but stylish at the same time.

Don't blast honda because they are experimenting with different bikes and niches. Plenty of their bikes and experiments I don't like either, but at least they should be applauded for trying something new. I think it is bold (however misguided) I'd rather see a brand take a chance and fail than play it safe all the time. At least it might spark something that sticks. Not everyone has the same taste either, and it might bring people into motorcycling who come from a totally different background or who wouldn't have considered motorcycling at all. And it is all the more commendable if a big company like honda is taking these risks. Plenty of others could learn a thing or two from such an attitude
Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
A GS? Guess you simply don't understand why people want the honda over a GS then. A crosstourer is infinitely more reliable than a GS. If the final drive on a GS craps out on you, you could probably buy a complete second hand yamaha x660 tenere for the price of the fix on the bmw.

The honda will be bulletproof like almost anything from Japan. An oil/filter/tire bike that will pile up the miles. (i love motorcycles for riding and painless worry free ownership is of major importance to me)

Also, why are people bitching about the DCT. It is 100% optional?! Don't want it, order it without! To me that is just bitching for the sake of bitching, to make snarky forum posts... I don't know, maybe it is just me and my dislike for dishonest reasoning.

The V4 is not neutered at all, they tuned it down in HP to have more readily available torque down low in the revs. Of course if you base your opinions and judgement from spec sheet number crunching.... what can I say. I was riding along a crosstourer last weekend and it was positively flying. Fuelling at low revs is also faultless. It is a sad time when 'faultless' is suddenly considered 'lacking in character'. Give me faultless and perfect engineering any day, which to me is very satisfying. The first three years of the new multistrada had very poor low rev fuelling for example.

I don't want to be having fun only at redline where the 172 HP of the normal VFR is.

And neutered in terms of visceral sound? Maybe, but most bikes are these days due to EURO 3 norms. But even the stock one has, deep inside, a nice little growl when you tickle the engine. But granted, it could be a little more outspoken, however that is an easy fix, listen to this leo vince equipped V4 crosstourer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aX-LSO_dAI

But aside from that, this bike is a complete package. Finish and build quality is something to behold, really well done, typical honda. And looks? That is personal but I like it. The GS has also been an acquired taste. I actually think that I like the crosstourer more than the latest GS which is a little unpractical looking (with the large plastic scoops on the side, at least the cross tourer's plastic is fully within the crash bars if you mount them on the bike). The crosstourer somehow looks more 'modern' and 'sleek', minimalist but stylish at the same time.

Don't blast honda because they are experimenting with different bikes and niches. Plenty of their bikes and experiments I don't like either, but at least they should be applauded for trying something new. I think it is bold (however misguided) I'd rather see a brand take a chance and fail than play it safe all the time. At least it might spark something that sticks. Not everyone has the same taste either, and it might bring people into motorcycling who come from a totally different background or who wouldn't have considered motorcycling at all. And it is all the more commendable if a big company like honda is taking these risks. Plenty of others could learn a thing or two from such an attitude
+1

I'm calling Honda Monday morning.

DCT was being used in rally cars as early as the 1980's. THIRTY YEARS and we still have amongst us many who deny it has benefit. Every major auto company is producing DCT now. It is filtering down to economy cars where it benefits smaller motors even more. Even John Deere has tractors with DCT. Off tarmac rally racing, where manual shifting is a dangerous distraction, is the auto version of what adventure riders imagine they do. Some put great effort in learning to do clutchless shifting which is for the rider is close to the lesser effort of DCT. But not as smooth, not as fast and is far more prone to error and gearbox damage when riding rough surfaces. DCT is a superior system. Manual shift transmissions will go the way of kick starters and suicide clutch/hand shifting transmissions.

DCT will eventually be standard on all motorcycles and the blind will suddenly see.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:59 AM   #12
murdock2002 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
+1

I'm calling Honda Monday morning.

DCT was being used in rally cars as early as the 1980's. THIRTY YEARS and we still have amongst us many who deny it has benefit. Every major auto company is producing DCT now. It is filtering down to economy cars where it benefits smaller motors even more. Even John Deere has tractors with DCT. Off tarmac rally racing, where manual shifting is a dangerous distraction, is the auto version of what adventure riders imagine they do. Some put great effort in learning to do clutchless shifting which is for the rider is close to the lesser effort of DCT. But not as smooth, not as fast and is far more prone to error and gearbox damage when riding rough surfaces. DCT is a superior system. Manual shift transmissions will go the way of kick starters and suicide clutch/hand shifting transmissions.

DCT will eventually be standard on all motorcycles and the blind will suddenly see.
I was skeptical of an auto motorcycle in the past, but when I purchased my Aprilia Mana 850 GT,with an option,a "manual" I realized what a great, practical, and safe concept an auto motorcycle is. Being a daily commuter through some very busy urban roads and stop and go traffic, I am more able to focus on riding and more focused on the idiot drivers around me, with a fast ability to react (brake or twist the throttle). My brother-in-law, my old college roommate, and brother, all ride MCs too and were skeptical and critical
Of the purchase....until they rode my bike. They had the same realization about auto (the Aprilia is a CVT). Don't criticize the CVT or DCT until you've tried it for more than 29 minutes on both freeway and twisties...

A bike being boring or exciting, pretty or fugly, etc. is all subjective. I try to look at the objective aspects...statistical defects and recalls of major mechanical components, gas mileage, cost, service intervals, maintenance costs, reliability, etc. I want a bike I can take on long trips, with maybe 10-20% off road! and use for my daily commuting to work. 150hp I will never need...what I do need is reliability, low maintenance with a shaft drive, and a great ride that's comfortable.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
carrotnc
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock2002 View Post
All,

Called 3 July 2014 and went through the same conversation, rep said they've been receiving a LOT of calls about this bike. Asked him what's a lot, he said it's on par with the interest they had before the NC700X was made available to the US market. He had no additional information about the bike, but said that's not unusual as Honda keeps things fairly quiet until it's certain. Major news releases are spring, summer, and fall so he advised keeping an eye on the Honda website. Hopefully with them having my email address it'll provide advance notice, or perhaps an early chance to ride one.

I'd seen this bike a few weeks earlier while on an EU trip and it really caught my eye. Have been looking for a change from my BMW-RT but not really interested in a GS. Spent two weeks on a KTM 990 Adventure but wasn't pleased, so the Crosstourer seems like a good candidate.
carrotnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,549
FWIW - I put a couple of tanks of gas through one in Norway a year ago and made this post for comparing your 4 main competitors. (Sorry - no Goosies)
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906374

My bottom line was that the DCT was something you loved or not. I made peace with it but it's not for me and otherwise:
"By the end of a day the Honda left a feeling of "nice bike." What I did not get was the "I want one" more than the Triumph, Yam, or BMW."

This was comparing with the last generations of the BMW and Yamaha. With the updates to the GS and Tenere, I think that the current 'Tourer would still have that Honda fit and finish. It would offer the DCT for the few who want it. But otherwise, it would not compete well, especially with the Yamaha. Not meaning to knock BMW or Triumph, it's just that there are a lot of us who for whatever reason want the the Japanese bikes and in that I think the Yamaha would be the Honda's natural competitor.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #15
murdock2002 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the link...that was a very interesting write up.