Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #15046
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
long distance dirt adventures
it could work for for fire roads and light trails if you can figure out a standing position but eventually you might get hung up somewhere or get shut out of going somewhere because of the weight
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #15047
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame View Post
Here's my '09 getting some love on yesterday's ride

And nothing like a full-grown cow to make even an F800GS look small

So it really is a universal reaction to Transalps, they have the same look on their faces as people do when I pull up on my bike, "what the heck is that?"

Great photo.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #15048
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
it could work for for fire roads and light trails if you can figure out a standing position but eventually you might get hung up somewhere or get shut out of going somewhere because of the weight

Would this be Transalp-able?

">
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #15049
TRBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
I know, random post. Sorry.

I've never owned a big dual sport and am wondering if it's just going to blow anytime I see a trail and the bike doesn't want to go.

Or am I e-over thinking the weight of the TA?

More ramblings..... damnit
IMO its what the TA is made for.
I take mine down any track [or lack of track] I feel like.
Recently on a trip to Vic [from northern NSW] I saw a track just starting to be made [it'd had one run along with a dozer] in Chiltern NP and went for a look-see on my TA fully loaded with all my bags and camping gear, no problems up and down hills through gullies .etc.

The only thing that is maybe a problem is clay/mud. Heavy bikes can sometimes get to be a problem in deep slippery conditions.

Quote:

Easily.
IMO.
As I said above its only when things get slippery that I think its gets tricky.

TRBaron screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 07:11 PM
TRBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #15050
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
I contacted the Argentine people on the their home page but no reply so for. Is there another way to contact them. Cheap cycle parts has the CDI's for $115 per plus shipping. What have you paid and from where did you purchase?
Dudley
Gustavo from DZE in Argentina contacted me and I purchased two CDI units through their USA distributor.
Should be here in a few days.
Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke

Dudley screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 05:18 AM
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #15051
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:

Seriously? Yes, very doable. Great trail. With the TA you can ride 100 miles on the freeway to get there and then go ride the trail. OK, you won't ride the trail like you're behind time on the JackPine enduro but you will ride it. I've found slowing down a bit when off-road with a larger bike helps me appreciate the ride more cause I'm not trying to save my life every 90 seconds.

Quote:
Or am I e-over thinking the weight of the TA?

Yes.

The TA does pretty well. Yes, it's not a 200 lb two-stroke with 12 inches of suspension travel. But it works well.

In the dry stuff:

...and in the wet stuff:

Go ride it !
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #15052
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I've had the Argie CDI boxes in my bike for the past 18 months or so.

No problems at all.

I want to try the digital boxes from Germany when my motorcycle budget catches up to my last purchase.

http://www.motorbike-shop.de/index.php?a=2892&lang=eng
Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #15053
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 631
Thanks a lot guys.

I've put 100 street miles on my XR600R last few days and it's just not what it's made for. It's place in motorcycle life overlaps my 250/300 a lot.

Found a wether beaten TA that I'm trying to pick up

Need something I can cruise at 70mph for an hour/two and still go exploring= TA??... Well see

Just never ridden a big girl. In the dirt or at home
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #15054
mas335
xendurist

tire condition, reading the trail correctly and good bike handling skills are the keys to riding a big bike off the pavement, there is very little margin for error on any 450lb bike off road.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #15055
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
tire condition, reading the trail correctly and good bike handling skills are the keys to riding a big bike off the pavement, there is very little margin for error on any 450lb bike off road.
True, I just did this last week fully loaded with camping gear etc. (Tabor Rd. VT)

I didn't necessarily enjoy it, but I did it. It was wet and hot and miserable.

On the trip I hit 40k miles and about 5 miles before that one of my original CDI boxes died. Thanks to this thread I instantly recognized the symptoms and had my spare ready to go.
cheesebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #15056
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,698

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #15057
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebot View Post
True, I just did this last week fully loaded with camping gear etc. (Tabor Rd. VT)

I didn't necessarily enjoy it, but I did it. It was wet and hot and miserable.

On the trip I hit 40k miles and about 5 miles before that one of my original CDI boxes died. Thanks to this thread I instantly recognized the symptoms and had my spare ready to go.

I think the whole east coast is wet and humid right now. Glad you had a spare on board, they never go bad in the driveway do they?

Polished wet rocks are slippery, you had only one chance to get that right.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #15058
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Great vid, Cory.

Nice example of a fun ride in the dez.

What kinda tires are you running now that your a Nevada boy?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #15059
Lucky j
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Nice job on the paint!

Are you getting thoses stickers from the dealer? My TA also need a lot of TLC (body and paint) after many years of use and abuses. But she still run great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBaron View Post
Waiting for my decal packs to arrive so its a bit naked atm.

Lucky j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #15060
Z_HARSH
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 487
TA OFF ROAD, my 2 cents.

Awesome videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not done yet, but my whole goal is to keep up with my buddy on his KTM 950 Super Enduro. Keep in mind, it's dry weight is about as much as the TA's wet weight stock, and if you take off the stock headlight, fairing, dash, tail-light assembly....you can save some major weight in comparison to a 950SE.

All I can say is yes, I have a lot of modifications on my TA now, but it amazes me more and more each time off-road. It is a bit of a belly dragger stock and the stock suspension (especially front) is weak and feels like you will break something if you hit it hard, but with a little effort and some money this can be overcome.

I went with forks off a 2001 EXC300, I believe in 04 they did quite a lot of updates and then again in '09 and '12???, I would have gone that way or newer but they were a buddy's and he gave me a good deal. I put in 48kg RaceTech springs and they are excellent, I have no complaints other than the seals leaked from day 1, but it's not like you can't ride with leaky seals. I spun a new center stem and used the stock triple clamp but would have bought one if I had had I realised you can just buy them in time. Although mine is titanium. I am also very happy with my 320mm EBS supermoto disk. I was hesitant on the stock KTM Brembo caliper but it is fine and has not boiled on me yet.

Personally I think that an 18 inch rim in the rear with a super lace from Woody's is a huge step forward especially in the rocks and rough sections if you are going to gas through them and not struggle. But then you have the gearing issue. I have been running 15-47 with the 18 inch rim, it will do 70 mph at about 2.5k rpm in 5th (a guess since I don't have a tack anymore, but a slight crack off no throttle) and is too tall on the steep, loose, rocky up-hills. I am running an AfricaTwin hub and swingarm (RD07 apparently) and I had to have a "custom" made rear sprocket to gear it down by adding 5 teeth on the rear, but it was less than $75 delivered for an aluminum one (more info on the AT thread - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=12429). It is roughly 3 teeth in the rear to equal 1 in the front so I figured it is easy to find a 16 tooth for the front if necessary. I haven't tested it out and will be happy to report back in a week and a half.

I'm still running the stock '89 rear shock, you can tell that is not on par with the front, the front sucks up the bump and the rear rolls up and over, but nothing $800-$1200 can't fix. I still think there is nothing wrong with the RD07 rear end with TA linkage though.

Really, dropping it and busting up the stock plastic is the biggest risk. Personally I have no interest in crash bars, just a bunch of unnecessary weight in my opinion. But without the fairing you lose the comfort on the road. I wouldn't suggest making a fairing like I did unless you have gobs of tenacity and 3+ months. But it has been crash tested and the nearly indestructible Pro-Taper bars take all the impact unless a rock just so happens to be poking up in the wrong place. But crash bars might not help there either if you are un-lucky.

The videos are perfect examples of what you can do on a stock TA, if you get into the baby-heads you might need a bit more suspension and ground clearance though especially if you are on the pegs and riding through like you should.

Tachedoutoffroad, feel free to PM me, I'm happy to help in any way I can in your adventure.
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 10:57 AM
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote