Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #15106
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,927
they are also on ebay in case anyone wants to read their feedback and other details about these fiberglass panels.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #15107
wa.tarider
transalper

Oddometer: 143
Front fender

Anyone have a OEM front fender for sale for my '89 TA? I found the front fairing and windshield that the deer took out but would rather have OEM then aftermarket fender. Or ideas for something else.
I'm pretty much healed and want to get out and ride.
Thanks.

wa.tarider screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 06:31 PM
wa.tarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #15108
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa.tarider View Post
Anyone have a OEM front fender for sale for my '89 TA? I found the front fairing and windshield that the deer took out but would rather have OEM then aftermarket fender. Or ideas for something else.
I'm pretty much healed and want to get out and ride.
Thanks.
How's the deer?
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #15109
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Looks really good!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #15110
socalrc31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Front Caliber Spacer

Hey Guys - just picked up a 1989 Transalp in CA this weekend. Its in good shape overall but needs some servicing... Most notable the brakes. Front & Rears are shot. I have a Honda Hawk (NT650) rotor in good condition but need the caliber spacer used to relocate the front caliper. Any suggestions on where to find???

Also had a question on the rear rim - what is the stock size? Mine has a 3.50" x 17" but I don't think that is stock... (Front is 1.60" x 21")

Also looking for some of the wear items - need new gators for the fork legs... Gonna replace fork seals, wheel bearings, head bearings, fluids, air filter, remove smog stuff, rebuild / rejet carbs (runs lean), tires. Anything else?

Thx, Ken
socalrc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #15111
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrc31 View Post
Hey Guys - just picked up a 1989 Transalp in CA this weekend. Its in good shape overall but needs some servicing... Most notable the brakes. Front & Rears are shot. I have a Honda Hawk (NT650) rotor in good condition but need the caliber spacer used to relocate the front caliper. Any suggestions on where to find???

Also had a question on the rear rim - what is the stock size? Mine has a 3.50" x 17" but I don't think that is stock... #Front is 1.60" x 21"#

Also looking for some of the wear items - need new gators for the fork legs... Gonna replace fork seals, wheel bearings, head bearings, fluids, air filter, remove smog stuff, rebuild / rejet carbs #runs lean#, tires. Anything else?

Thx, Ken
Jim Rowley at M.A.P. Engineering ( http://www.map-engineering.com/ ) used to make those caliper spacers, I think. But we haven't heard from Jim since his house was burned in the wild fire near Colorado Springs. Hope you are doing alright, Jim.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #15112
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Jim Rowley at M.A.P. Engineering ( http://www.map-engineering.com/ ) used to make those caliper spacers, I think. But we haven't heard from Jim since his house was burned in the wild fire near Colorado Springs. Hope you are doing alright, Jim.
Yes, I too hope Jim is okay as well.

The spacer that I purchased for the T/A with a Hawk Rotor was Jim's at M.A.P. but there is another fellow making them.

The note below is from Gary on the Hawk Forum... send him a note.

I have a special on the bracket until I sell this batch. It will be $75.00 including shipping in the USA. I will ship to other countries but it will cost a little more. If you are interested e mail me directly at Gary@HPbyGD.com as I don't always get on the forum to see if there are any messages.

Thanks Gary

So Ken,
Did you buy the Transalp in Irvine...? I called the guy and it had already been sold.

I am getting ready to send the SV 650 out there for an extended work stay but thought about buying another Transalp instead...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899744

Best,
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #15113
socalrc31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
Yes, I too hope Jim is okay as well.

The spacer that I purchased for the T/A with a Hawk Rotor was Jim's at M.A.P. but there is another fellow making them.

The note below is from Gary on the Hawk Forum... send him a note.

I have a special on the bracket until I sell this batch. It will be $75.00 including shipping in the USA. I will ship to other countries but it will cost a little more. If you are interested e mail me directly at Gary@HPbyGD.com as I don't always get on the forum to see if there are any messages.

Thanks Gary

So Ken,
Did you buy the Transalp in Irvine...? I called the guy and it had already been sold.

I am getting ready to send the SV 650 out there for an extended work stay but thought about buying another Transalp instead...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899744

Best,
Rob
Hey Rob - Yeah, I've already contacted Gary but know there was another guy making the brackets... And yes - picked up the Transalp in Irvine this weekend. Very nice condition - just needs some love. (Mostly wear items).

Send me a PM regarding the motorcycle in CA situation. I may be able to help you out with a loaner Hawk if your interested. I've got 3 project bikes that could be made safe and ride-able just not pretty...

Ken
socalrc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #15114
wa.tarider
transalper

Oddometer: 143
Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
How's the deer?
Dead on impact. Wrecked a good weeks riding. And lots of plastic but gained 4 screws in finger.
No fenders for sale?
wa.tarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #15115
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Dead on impact. Wrecked a good weeks riding. And lots of plastic but gained 4 screws in finger.
No fenders for sale?
All I got is a frame, gonna shoehorn a NT650 hawk motor into itand make a back road burner out of it.

Anyway glad you came out ok
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #15116
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
No fenders for sale?
I sent you a PM yesterday about front fenders. Check your PM's
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #15117
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrc31 View Post
Hey Guys - just picked up a 1989 Transalp in CA this weekend.

Also had a question on the rear rim - what is the stock size? Mine has a 3.50" x 17" but I don't think that is stock... (Front is 1.60" x 21")

Also looking for some of the wear items - need new gators for the fork legs... Gonna replace fork seals, wheel bearings, head bearings, fluids, air filter, remove smog stuff, rebuild / rejet carbs (runs lean), tires. Anything else?

Thx, Ken
Congrats on the new Transalp! You will enjoy it. According to deti's TA specs page, the OEM rim and tire sizes (1987-1995) are:

FRONT:
  • tire: 90/90 - 21 54S
  • rim: MT 1.85 x 21

BACK:
  • tire: 130/80 - 17 65S
  • rim: MT 2.5 x 17

I believe the OEM TA fork gators have been discontinued (but I may be wrong). As just one alternative, ferretface and maybe others have fitted gators from KLR650.com. It sounds like you will be giving the bike a good once over with the parts you listed. Two other little items that come to mind are:

- the two small foam air filters leading to the carbs
- drain the overflow/breather tube
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #15118
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Royce,

My wife and I are alive and well. So are the dogs. Like the phoenix, we'll rise again but it will be a long journey ahead.

Ken: Sorry I haven't called you back. Too many other pressing matters to sort out. Everything I have at M. A. P. is gone. Caliper adapters have been reduced to aluminum nuggets. Brake rotors have been double heat treated. I can't be sure of their flatness though. The mill, lathe and 30 years of tools are all toast. Burnt toast. This is the end of M. A. P.

To all Colorado inmates: If you're not doing anything this Saturday, come help separate metal from debris. Wear clothes that you plan on throwing away.

Jim.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #15119
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
If relaced, I would suggest to go for 2.15 front and 3.0-3.5 rear. Seems that many modern tires of "stock" 90/90-21 TA size now requires 2.15, not 1.85 rim size, for example.
So, check for tire specs you plan to use most what vendor recommends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Congrats on the new Transalp! You will enjoy it. According to deti's TA specs page, the OEM rim and tire sizes (1987-1995) are:

FRONT:
  • tire: 90/90 - 21 54S
  • rim: MT 1.85 x 21

BACK:
  • tire: 130/80 - 17 65S
  • rim: MT 2.5 x 17
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #15120
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
If you're not doing anything this Saturday, come help separate metal from debris. Wear clothes that you plan on throwing away.
Jim,

If they will finally let you in to sift through debris, I'd recommend a pair of sturdy work shoes/boots (lots of nails around at all angles), light leather work gloves and maybe a hardware store particle mask.

Have a few pair of wire cutters handy. You'll find the electrical wiring and the wire used in HVAC ducting will wrap around all kinds of bits that you're trying to move. It's easier to just cut it.

Wish i was closer to help. All the best.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote