Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #15721
Marre
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Finished this mod on my TA couple weeks ago..better then factory lights definitely

Marre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #15722
thepoddo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
looks cool!
you also made the glass cover yourself?
thepoddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #15723
socalrc31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thermostat

So I think I've figured out why my TA was running hot...

Thermostat wasn't thermostating...

Symptoms: it ran hot at freeway speeds & low speed - traffic / off-road. Also replaced the radiator cap and thermostat switch (85 degree vs. 100 degree switch) Results: Runs much cooler in all riding conditions - never more than about half way up the gauge and the fan switches on earlier in stop / go traffic & off-roading...
socalrc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #15724
Marre
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoddo View Post
looks cool!
you also made the glass cover yourself?
That's not glass. It's plexyglass 2mm thick. I used old glass with the lines and made a mold with a plaster. Then i vacuum formed a plaxyglass and voila...Clear headlight lens :)
Marre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #15725
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marre View Post
That's not glass. It's plexyglass 2mm thick. I used old glass with the lines and made a mold with a plaster. Then i vacuum formed a plaxyglass and voila...Clear headlight lens :)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #15726
Spina
wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrc31 View Post
So I think I've figured out why my TA was running hot...

Thermostat wasn't thermostating...

Symptoms: it ran hot at freeway speeds & low speed - traffic / off-road. Also replaced the radiator cap and thermostat switch (85 degree vs. 100 degree switch) Results: Runs much cooler in all riding conditions - never more than about half way up the gauge and the fan switches on earlier in stop / go traffic & off-roading...
My TA also run a little hot I think, at what point of the thermometer does the fan should go on? ( I can't see the temperature on the 600 )

Ladder106: thanks for the answer! I'll keep that in mind and I'll check!
Spina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #15727
socalrc31
Adventurer

The fan normally kicks in approx. 3/4 in the normal operating section of the gauge. My fan now comes on at about the 1/2 way point. (w/85 degree c fan switch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spina View Post
My TA also run a little hot I think, at what point of the thermometer does the fan should go on? ( I can't see the temperature on the 600 )

Ladder106: thanks for the answer! I'll keep that in mind and I'll check!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #15728
Spina
wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrc31 View Post
The fan normally kicks in approx. 3/4 in the normal operating section of the gauge. My fan now comes on at about the 1/2 way point. (w/85 degree c fan switch)
Mine too start a 3/4 of the gauge. So, different thermostats make the fan go at different temperatures right? Do you have to change the thermostat to change the temperature at which the fan goes on? ( it's probably a stupid question, but I don't know about these things, sorry )
This summer I felt like my leg was cooking, I could use a cooler transalp for slower riding, like during offroad...
Even during winter, if I pass too much time in stop and go traffic the bike goes very hot and the fan start. I don't know if that's normal even for cold temperatures.
Spina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #15729
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertehv View Post
Do you happen to know the size? I'll order some aftermarket stuff.

It's still at the shop, I left it on my shelf until the other came in. If I can remember, I'll open it when I go in and measure it.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #15730
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Mine too start a 3/4 of the gauge. So, different thermostats make the fan go at different temperatures right? Do you have to change the thermostat to change the temperature at which the fan goes on? ( it's probably a stupid question, but I don't know about these things, sorry )
This summer I felt like my leg was cooking, I could use a cooler transalp for slower riding, like during offroad...
Even during winter, if I pass too much time in stop and go traffic the bike goes very hot and the fan start. I don't know if that's normal even for cold temperatures.
Hello Spina,

The thermostat controls the temperature of the coolant in the engine.
The fan is switched on by the temperature switch on the bottom of the RHS Radiator.

There is a company in the USA who sell switches that activate at a lower temperature (ie, 85deg C). They were trading on ebay as
motorsportbm But they don't appear to be trading any more on ebay??

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #15731
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:

You will still feel like your leg is cooking, a lower temp. thermalcoupler switch in the radiator to kick the fan on sooner won't make that much difference on the outside engine temperatures. You are feeling the heat from the header pipes and the water temperature won't affect that at all.

There was a time when thermostats actually did come in different opening heat ranges but I have never seen one for a motorcycle.

Make sure your fan harness connection and ground connections are clean and making good contact.

mas335 screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 02:22 PM
mas335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #15732
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,405
Made a trail stand today. Used the bottom of a shower bench that was my mothers and an old shower curtain rod. Got some rubber feet, and a hook from the hardware store. A few bolts and a strip of aluminum and a couple of clamps. I've been riding around for several months now and no flats, but you know what's gonna happen now.

2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #15733
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,351
Gonna put this out here before I go thru the trouble of posting pics and starting an add in the FM ,

Would anybody be interested in a complete MINT wheelset ,

was pulled from bike with less than 800 miles on it with original tires .

Hoops , Hubs , Spokes , etc , MINT condition .

Front = wheel assy only
Rear = wheel assy with sprocket and rotor , ( if I remember correctly )

PM me if interested .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #15734
socalrc31
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
You will still feel like your leg is cooking, a lower temp. thermalcoupler switch in the radiator to kick the fan on sooner won't make that much difference on the outside engine temperatures. You are feeling the heat from the header pipes and the water temperature won't affect that at all.

There was a time when thermostats actually did come in different opening heat ranges but I have never seen one for a motorcycle.

Make sure your fan harness connection and ground connections are clean and making good contact.
Good point on the ground connections - the fan switch ground is located just inside of the right radiator and is exposed to the elements. Mine was rusted over and took some dremel time / steel brush action to get clean...
Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #15735
socalrc31
Adventurer

Nice job on the stand! Also like the engine guard / skid plate - who makes (made) it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Made a trail stand today. Used the bottom of a shower bench that was my mothers and an old shower curtain rod. Got some rubber feet, and a hook from the hardware store. A few bolts and a strip of aluminum and a couple of clamps. I've been riding around for several months now and no flats, but you know what's gonna happen now.