Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 05:12 AM   #6316
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,664
Hey Daniel just an FYI, the stock rear shock on the Transalps are not serviceable so make sure your not paying for something that your not really getting.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #6317
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Motocd.com

I may get blasted with this, but here goes....
I have been working with ncrick at Cogent dynamics ...he has developed a long travel shock , and a standard shock for the Transalps. The long travel shock on mine , along with the 92 xr forks that ncrick rebuilt with racetech gold valves, rides very similar to my KTM adv with the WP suspension. If you are wanting upgraded TA stuff go look and see. I am passing this on as information to the TA owners on this site, I am not affiliated with Cogent Dynamics.
Russ
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #6318
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher
I may get blasted with this, but here goes....
I have been working with ncrick at Cogent dynamics ...he has developed a long travel shock , and a standard shock for the Transalps. The long travel shock on mine , along with the 92 xr forks that ncrick rebuilt with racetech gold valves, rides very similar to my KTM adv with the WP suspension. If you are wanting upgraded TA stuff go look and see. I am passing this on as information to the TA owners on this site, I am not affiliated with Cogent Dynamics.
Russ

Awesome, do have a link?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #6319
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
new TA shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Awesome, do have a link?
Hey Jeff, Try this..... www.motocd.com
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #6320
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,640
Post #6126 for the ignition template with measurements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan
G'day Guys,

I'm just about to get started on this Ignition bracket to mount the ignition/fuse box to the XR600 triple clamps. I found a good photo on page 136 (2028) & a drawing on page 137 (2046), but it only has the length & width of the plate. Does anyone have a drawing with hole centres marked out, etc? I'm still re-reading this thread, & am up to page 300, so I apologise if it has already been posted. If someone has a drawing & would like to email it, please PM me. Or if you can re-post it here that would be great!

Also, the rear shock is in getting serviced & the technician is organising the manufacture of the spacer. I am using the Standard Transalp ('88) swingarm with the '98 XR600R front end. Can anyone advise whether I am looking to extend the rear shock length by 25mm, 30mm, 35mm??? I can see that most of the TA's fitted with Africa Twin swing arms seem to be running 30mm spacers (is this correct?) but has anyone lifted the rear using the shorter, standard swing arm?

Any help is greatly apreciated guys

Cheers,

Daniel.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #6321
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Hey Daniel just an FYI, the stock rear shock on the Transalps are not serviceable so make sure your not paying for something that your not really getting.
AFAIK shops with the right equiment can replace the gas filling, gaskets and valves. I read posts in the german TA forum by people who made good experiences with that. But maybe they are just happy because they paid for something . Imagination can move mountains or something like that...
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #6322
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Wrong, this shock is serviceable- don't trust all Honda states in their service manual! Even at home. Only thing you have to weld/screw in is valve for pumping in gas under pressure (in worst case regular air is good enough).
I'll put here short article about that as I'm going to rebuild myself RD04 shock soon- no money now for wilbers, crisis, bla, bla...
In russian web you can find some articles also- they manage to use some rubber parts from their cars...

Quote:

ravelv screwed with this post 02-03-2009 at 12:24 PM
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #6323
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,992
yep standard shocks are serviceable just a bit more hassle. Dan already has a remote res & compression adjuster on his standard shock if I remember correctly
Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #6324
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher
Hey Jeff, Try this..... www.motocd.com
I can't find anything on there about Transalp shocks.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #6325
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv
Wrong, this shock is serviceable- don't trust all Honda states in their service manual! Even at home. Only thing you have to weld/screw in is valve for pumping in gas under pressure (in worst case regular air is good enough).
I'll put here short article about that as I'm going to rebuild myself RD04 shock soon- no money now for wilbers, crisis, bla, bla...
In russian web you can find some articles also- they manage to use some rubber parts from their cars...
Yes the AT shocks are rebuildable but the Transalp shocks are not without some pretty serious modification.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #6326
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,442
Happy Trail...

I posted a WTB on the FleaMarket for a Happy Trail pannier rack set...I know, if you have it why sell it...but you'll never know.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #6327
badbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
steering damper

Has anyone installed a Scotts style damper to their 600V Transalp?

I allready have the damper and was wondering if there are any fitting kits available.
badbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #6328
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Some years ago (God, probably 15 or 20 now) when the Motorcycle magazines were still publishing "How-To" articles (Interesting how fast lawyers have killed those features). Cycle Guids published a series of suspension articles.

One featured rebuilding "non-rebuildable" shocks.

As I remember (I've got the articles somewhere 'round here) it involved drilling a small hole into the shock body usually near the top (or bottom depending on how the shock is oriented on the bike). You have to be very very careful since you will release high pressusre (200-300 psi) gas when the drill punches through. The not-so-scary part is that there is very little volume in the shock so it's only a "pop".

Then a brass fitting suitable for refilling the shock with gas is brazed onto the shock body. Brazing is used because it is several hundred degrees cooler than welding and you're trying not to melt anything inside.

If the shock can be disassembled at the point where the shaft enters, you can do this and replace seals etc. If the shock is just "peened-over" at the top like our stock TA shocks, you can at least replace the damping oil.

Keep track of the amount of oil that is removed and add the same amount back.

This at least lets guys on a budget like mine get more out of the stocker.

I am going from memory here so some details are probably suspect and I don't remember how they added gas back inside and then plugged the fitting that was attached with the braze.....which is probably the most important part.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #6329
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,992
many TA shocks have been rebuilt / modded in oz, any competent suspension tuner should be able to do it
Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #6330
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
I don't know what shocks are on US TA's, but on mine shock is almost same as AT shock except external can- it can be disassembled without need to modify it.

Quote:
Yes the AT shocks are rebuildable but the Transalp shocks are not without some pretty serious modification.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote