User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #7081
PaTrans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Time to let her go

Hey guys, long time no post. At the end of this week, when finals are over and summer break starts, I am going to be posting my 89 Transalp for sale. I have had it for two years and i only rode less that 500 miles last year. I love the bike, but it does not suit my needs. I am going to be looking for a XR/DR 400-650 almost any year. I just wanted to post here first. I cannot find the thread number, but i do belive ADH007(thanks again), sold me a used set of front forks a while back after a little bang-up. Bike runs strong, cosmetically imperfect, but has never let me down or left me stranded. I ride almost zero pavement, so i want a better dirt machine.

Try to talk me out of it if you'd like ! I just wanted my fellow TA guys to hear about it first.
Ride Safe!
PaTrans( i guess i will need to change my user name)

PaTrans screwed with this post 04-30-2009 at 10:50 AM
PaTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #7082
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,399
I knew you had a temporary event of craziness!!!

Now you came back to earth. Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy
I can't do it...she's off the market. Now I've got some mods to do

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:31 AM   #7083
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy
I can't do it...she's off the market. Now I've got some mods to do
Yep, I knew it. A classic case of brainfarterus temporarium if I ever saw one.

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #7084
jonesy54
the road less traveled

Oddometer: 97
took your advice carlos

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459340

one 1989 Transalp (some assembly required)
& an armada of old Jet Skis
jonesy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #7085
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy54
G'day Jonesy

L00ks like you are doing the brake upgrade thing, much the same as I am at the moment.

As an alternative to the dual front disc setup, have you thought about going for a single 320mm front disc using one of the adaptors discussed at various times in this thread. I have a setup I purchased from Jim Rowley, one of the regulars on here. I don't know if he has any more in stock (PM him), if not you could revert to the Lenac alternative, also discussed here at various points. The 320mm disc does make a difference and is probably less damaging to the hip pocket than a full f/e swap.

Rear... you will see from a few posts back that Thunder Dan will/should be shortly posting pix of his convesion to a 650 rear disc (which I am about to do also). In answer to your question in your WTB post, you do not have to have a new swingarm, it is possible to modify a drum brake arm to suit. All that seems to be required is to weld a reaction lug to the right side upper, to locate the caliper mounting plate (this is what you referred to).

There are always quite a lot of rear brake bits available on Ebay. Don't know how you are with Ebay, I'm not that great myself.. however I have a search saved for Honda Transalp/items from anywhere/send to anywhere...or something along those lines. Then I look under the "buy it now tab" where there's shedloads of stuff. Drawback is that most of it comes from Europe and freight costs are high.

I know that all the parts you want are available in Italy (see my post #7033), but there is a bit of doubt about the supplier (see Menasco Pirate's posts a few on from mine).

There are also other bits available in the UK.. but the Poms seem a bit reluctant to ship stuff anywhere outside their dismal isle, or even reply to emails.

That's my $0.02 worth. Good luck.

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #7086
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,399
Hey, hope you find what you are looking for!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy54

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #7087
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
One disc setup also is lighter. And one caliper less to take care of.
320mm disc maybe also more easy to hit against something than smaller disc.

Using 650 TA brake rear setup is preferable as caliper bracket is small and light comparing to 600 TA one which is really heavy peace of metal (interesting, why they made it like that??).

From previous posts now is clear that 650 TA have same rear wheel as 600 TA with disc brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekube1

As an alternative to the dual front disc setup, have you thought about going for a single 320mm front disc using one of the adaptors discussed at various times in this thread. I have a setup I purchased from Jim Rowley, one of the regulars on here. I don't know if he has any more in stock (PM him), if not you could revert to the Lenac alternative, also discussed here at various points. The 320mm disc does make a difference and is probably less damaging to the hip pocket than a full f/e swap.

Rear... you will see from a few posts back that Thunder Dan will/should be shortly posting pix of his convesion to a 650 rear disc (which I am about to do also). In answer to your question in your WTB post, you do not have to have a new swingarm, it is possible to modify a drum brake arm to suit. All that seems to be required is to weld a reaction lug to the right side upper, to locate the caliper mounting plate (this is what you referred to).
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #7088
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 450
Let's keep it bikes!!!

Quote:
G'day Jonesy

L00ks like you are doing the brake upgrade thing, much the same as I am at the moment.

There are always quite a lot of rear brake bits available on Ebay. Don't know how you are with Ebay, I'm not that great myself.. however I have a search saved for Honda Transalp/items from anywhere/send to anywhere...or something along those lines. Then I look under the "buy it now tab" where there's shedloads of stuff. Drawback is that most of it comes from Europe and freight costs are high.

I know that all the parts you want are available in Italy (see my post #7033), but there is a bit of doubt about the supplier (see Menasco Pirate's posts a few on from mine).

There are also other bits available in the UK.. but the Poms seem a bit reluctant to ship stuff anywhere outside their dismal isle, or even reply to emails.

G'day

Not wanting to whinge, but....
POMS - nah you've got it wrong mate! P.O.M's stands for Prisoners of his/her majesty... guess that would be the grannies and grandads of some Aussies then... not the people still living in the UK!! Guess they did ship a few things out of their "dismal isle".

I shipped out too, but not to live in Oz... travelled all round Australia one time, beautiful country spolied by only one thing... a minority of it's residents!!!

Let's keep it bikes hey.

Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen

potski screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 02:13 AM
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #7089
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,594
CR500 forks for sale for your conversions.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...cat=463&lpid=1
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #7090
jonesy54
the road less traveled

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
G'day Jonesy

thanks

i have the rear brake stuff from italy on my watch list on ebay. im also watching a pair of 650 TA forks. I think one reason I want to do the dual front discs thing is just for a uniqueness factor. If you're doing a restomod IMO part of the appeal is to make your project different. I still have a huge question of whether i can use 650 forks in a 600 triple clamp.

I'm in no hurry so I'll just cherry-pick the stuff for as long as i need to till i get what i'm looking for. save, buy, repeat...

one 1989 Transalp (some assembly required)
& an armada of old Jet Skis
jonesy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #7091
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
'03 TA 650 Brake to '88 TA 600.

G'day Mike & anyone else interested,

Here is some pictures & information regarding fitting the '03 TA 650 rear brake parts to the '88 TA:

Above: First cut the original drum brake lug from the '88 TA swing arm. File the swing arm to a smooth finish. Fabricate a piece of plate 14mm thick. I think it was about 50mm x 65mm (approximately..) Bevel the top & bottom corners facing the swing arm. This will allow for a good fillet weld. Cut the reaction bracket from the '03 TA 650 swing arm & clean up. Weld top & bottom edges to 14mm plate. NOTE: Vertical welds are not required & may weaken the swing arm or lead to cracking.

Above: Bottom veiw of 14mm plate & reaction bracket.

Above: Packing the wheel to the LHS. The blue arrow is pointing to the original '03 TA 650 RHS spacer. It is about 14.5mm thick (I think?). Order one of these from the local dealer & use on the other side of caliper bracket (red arrow). I filed about 1mm off it to get the wheel fitting nicely.

Above: Brake Hose Clamp (rear position). I cut this from the '03 TA 650 & welded into place.

Above: Brake Hose Clamp (forward position). I also cut this from the '03 TA 650 & welded into position.

Above: Bracket for master cylinder. Nothing new here, same as any other conversion.

Above: Bracket for Fluid Reservoir. Use either 1.6 or 3.0mm plate @ 20mm wide. Bent into shape using vice & copper mallet.

Above: This little bracket will not fit from the '03 TA 650. I had to cut about 10mm from the offset so it didn't foul on the swing arm. Welded it back together after removing the 10mm. Otherwise track down one from an Africa Twin or rear disc model TA 600 from Europe.

Other Considerations???

In NSW I suspect this will require an Engineering Certificate. Why? Well I used to do both Light & Heavy vehicle rego passes, & still have a copy of the Rule Book. Basically it states that any heating or welding of a suspension component (ie, swing arm..) is a non-conformance. I haven't had it certified yet, but will after I try & fit a TA 650 engine into this bike. Previous experience indicates that Engineering Signatories will charge per visit, rather than per modification. So I plan to get them all done at once. Whether you do this or not is up to you, but I thought you should know.

Oh yeah, & order a new rear brake light switch. Mine fell apart when I started taking it in & out. Just old & brittle I think.

Cheers,

Dan.

Thunder Dan screwed with this post 05-03-2009 at 03:14 AM
Thunder Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #7092
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

'86 XR250R Shock in XL600V (Part 2)

Hey Guys,

I picked up the rebuilt shock last week & fitted it yesterday. Here is some pictures & information:

Spring rate: 11.5kg / mm
Spring Make: Teknik
Oil weight: 5wt Silkolene RSF (Racing Shock Fluid)
Nitrogen Gas pressure: 175 psi
New hose length: 400mm
Spring preload: 14mm
Static sag: 27mm
Rider weight: 85kg or 187 lbs (nude!!)

Above: Rebuilt shock. Note: original blue XR250R spring. Teknik could not supply a new rebould dial. I have one coming from Yamaha of Troy in the States.

I have a spare frame & checked the clearance in the top hitch. I used a Loctite 401 gel superglue to attach some washers to the top bush (two each side). This held so I could get the washers into position on the bike.

Above: Positioning the remote reservoir. 16 position clicker. Is far enough back that it doesn't catch on my boots.

Above: Overall bike posture.

Above: The XR250R shock does not have any inbuilt shield to protect the chrome. I fitted an Acerbis Universal Mud Flap (Rear Shock Cover), part number: 0008320.090. I cut about 25mm (1”) from the top & bolted it to the OEM mudflap. I used two OEM 6mm washer bolts with shoulders: 90102-MM9-010. I used two nyloc nuts & washers on the other side.

How does it feel?
Apart from the increased travel, the low speed action is much smoother. I took the bike along a dirt road with some water causeways, hitting them with reasonable pace, I could feel the rear bottoming out on the stop. Not harsh, but sooner than expected. I had the compression clicker on position 10 (out of 16), so I still have some adjustment to stiffen the compression a little. When the shock is due for service, I may need them to add some shims to the compression stack for high speed oil flow. I haven’t paid too much attention to the rebound action, well not until the new dial arrives & I can experiment with the settings on the side of the road.

The only problem now is that the superior action of the rear is now highlighting that the front forks would benefit from installation of aftermarket compression & rebound valving kits! This would be another A$600.00, so it will have to wait...

Cheers,
Dan.

Thunder Dan screwed with this post 05-03-2009 at 03:26 AM
Old 05-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #7093
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
My latest mods: XR650R FMF Powercore 4 exhaust and H&B bag mounts.

Nice postcard Ray.

Jim.
G'day Jim,

Santa indicated in the following post that this was a 'Zeta' tail light. Was this correct & can you supply these? If so, could you please advise price & / or PM me with postage & payment details. I can see you have 4 different Fender Elimination Kits on the MAP Engineering website. Was it one of these or something else that you used? I'd like to get one on the way if you can supply it.

Cheers,

Dan.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #7094
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,503
Dan, very nice write-up. The tail light assembly is a DRC unit. It's LED instead of incandescent. It has a tab that hangs down for the license plate. Turn signals are not part of it. They're US$55. Postage to Oz is around US$30 by International Priority. I'm probably breaking some rule posting prices on this thread and not in vendors.

Jim.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #7095
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
bDan, Nice job

Why did you not just use the 650 swing arm? On my first conversion (US 1989) I fabricated an aluminum adapter so I could revert to the stock setup If it did not work out. For my second conversion I plan to use the later model swing arm if possible. It works so well I do not plan to change it back!

Also on my first conversion I used the stock brake pedal and it's crank arm from the original drum brake set up and it fit fine with the master cylinder.

Again, really nice job Dan!

Steve

Any body having any luck with Solomoto? Against my best judgement I tried to eBay a wheel again from them. They canceled the BUY IT NOW option saying somethiong about the wheel being split. They did return my paypal this time unlike my earlier experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan
G'day Mike & anyone else interested,

Above: This little bracket will not fit from the '03 TA 650. I had to cut about 10mm from the offset so it didn't foul on the swing arm. Welded it back together after removing the 10mm. Otherwise track down one from an Africa Twin or rear disc model TA 600 from Europe.

Cheers,

Dan.