Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #7216
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,401
I have reached the 2500 mile mark on the Trans_hawk and wanted to report that the bike keeps getting better and better.
I have used about 600 mL oil thus far. Fuel mileage ranges from 37 MPG unloaded in average freeway riding to a low of about 30 when heavily loaded and pushing 80 MPH.

I find the bike will run at 80 mph all day with plenty of reserve power for passing This is with the 16 tooth sprocket.

For the rear suspension I am using an older WP shock from the XR500.
revalve work was perfromed by Suspensions by Sasquatch(an adv vendor).
The RD03 arm and suspension triangle work perfectly with this part and after the revalve things are working very well indeed.

So of course I had to put it to the test by riding the Sheetiron 300. This is a challenging dual sport ride with a lot of single track and watercrossings.
Dust is a major factor as well so it seemed the perfect opportunity to really work the bike.
So clean in this photo

As the day progressed we found ourselves in some really nice single track.
The 18 mm offset triple clamps really hepled in this stuff allowing the bike to turn quick and easy making the switchbacks even more fun.
At this piont in the trail I had to just stop and take it all in

When we hit the water and mud I was a bit worried about the UNI pods fouling. Although the water was over the front wheel the cleaners were high and dry. Both the XR and KLX coughed a bit in the deepest crossing.
I kept my kill switch covered but the bike pulled thru well.

Later I think I hit the deepest mudhole of the ride. Messy but fun for sure

The route chosen for Sunday was dusty and rough allowing me to really push the bike a bit suspension wise. I'm really happy with the set up as I only bottomed on the really big hits.

The UNI's did much better than I expected. When I got home and checked thay were dirty but not fouled which is pretty good considering conditions that weekend. Certainly the panniers helped a good bit.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #7217
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,465
Great report Santa!

You guys need to bring someone to tape you while doing these water crossings and single tracks! Good to hear that the bike performed great!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #7218
Santa
Focused on the Future

In July I plan to take a 3 week trip to Utah and Colorado. The guy I will be riding with is a great photographer.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #7219
Big Chris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
[quote=Czechie, I don't remember which AT you are riding, but if it's an RD07(a) try to get the nylon tank, not the GFK (fiberglass) one, it's said to fit much better. I got the 32l tank from AQ for my Transalp and it took me some days to make it fitting...

Cheers, Andy[/quote]

Post some pics please, and tell us whether you'd do that job again, or find an alternative way of getting a bigger tank on your TA....

I'd like to get a larger capacity, non-steel, fuel tank onto my '04 transalp, am eager to hear other's experiences.
Big Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #7220
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,902
Glen,

Nice job on the Sheetiron. If you didn't have air filter troubles with the conditions you had on that ride, I'd say you have that potential trouble spot well sorted.

On another note:

I'm looking for a stock TA sidestand. Anyone have one for sale?
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #7221
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris
Post some pics please, and tell us whether you'd do that job again, or find an alternative way of getting a bigger tank on your TA....

I'd like to get a larger capacity, non-steel, fuel tank onto my '04 transalp, am eager to hear other's experiences.
Pics are a few pages back and on my website http://www.agrimm.net/umbauten/tank/tank.htm . Yes, I would do it again, but only because there is no real alternative (at least for me... RD03 / 04 tank is still to small for what I like). I wouldn't by a Transalp again because now I have enough money to buy an AfricaTwin (which I hadn't 15 years ago). For my Twin (RD07) I'll get the nylon tank one day...

what I like on the fibreglass tank: easy to repair, large capacity
what I don't like: price / quality ratio, Mikuni fuel pump, the petcocks (Acerbis)

If you want more, pls go back some pages.... or maybe it was also on the AT thread, I don't remember, but I don't want to bore the whole crew here...

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #7222
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Anyway, I'm really pissed with my TA at the moment. Been hunting a bug in the electronic system since May last year!!! I replaced the regulator, the stator, the CDIs, ignition coils, battery, disconnected all my additional stuff, replaced all fuses, disconnected all switches, checked all plugs and cables, and..... ... still can't find it.

OK, thats how it shows up:
you're cruising normally, all kinds of conditions, high / low altitude, dry, wet, cold, hot... voltage is good at 14.5V. Then the voltage drops slowly to battery level. When you switch of the engine (on matter if you use the kill switch or the key) and restart or the rpms drop below 1200 and rev up again, the voltage returns to 14,5V . Last thing I'll do is replace the complete wire harness, maybe next week. If that won't solve the prob I'll light her up and burn her down.
Today I found out that I don't have a spark on the left plug of the rear cylinder, maybe it'll help me track down the prob. Anyway, the emergency run programm of this bike is great, running with a not reliably charging battery for over 12.000km now.

Cheers, Andy
Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #7223
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,465
Try some exorcism!!!

Now, seriously, did you actually ran the bike with all the peripherals off or disconected? (including oil and temp sensor) Did you checked the radiator fan?

Is there any shafing on the wiring?

Have you done any mod that involved electricity before the problem appeared? Any river crossing?

If the solution isn't withing the possibilities, then take a look at whatever is impossible.....

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #7224
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
Try some exorcism!!!
good idea... maybe also some voodoo could help

Quote:
Now, seriously, did you actually ran the bike with all the peripherals off or disconected?
Yes
Quote:
(including oil
yes

Quote:
and temp sensor) Did you checked the radiator fan?
no, yes
Quote:
Is there any shafing on the wiring?
none that I could see
Quote:
Have you done any mod that involved electricity before the problem appeared? Any river crossing?
I changed the handlebar and put a petcock with a sensor, 700km later the phenonemon appeared for the first time. removed both again to check -> negative

Quote:
If the solution isn't withing the possibilities, then take a look at whatever is impossible.....
thanks for the help, any ideas appreciated... been in this stupid thing for one year now. sometimes thought i got it last time 3000km without any problems, then it returned.

Cheers, Andy
Old 05-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #7225
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery….

Hey Guys,
Here is the latest mods to the Transalp:

The LED blinkers & rear eliminator were supplied by Jim Rowley. All fitted up easily. The only challenge was getting the blinkers to flash. The resistance through the standard blinker was about 0.8 – 0.9 Ohms. The new LED’s have zero resistance. After mucking around with couple of in line resistors – still with no suitable flash rate, I had a chat to an auto electrician at work. He advised to forget the resistors & get an electronic flasher unit:

This is the Narva electronic flasher unit (Part Number: 68249BL). It is load sensing & adjusts to suit the availably load. I purchased it from the local auto electrician for $25.00 Aus. And to top it all off, it came with a clip that will fit up to the standard rubber mount with minor modification.
Cheers,
Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #7226
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Carlos,

Check THIS out.

It's cheap (relatively) low milage and RIGHT NEXT DOOR !

http://caribbean.craigslist.org/mcy/1153836757.html
Old 05-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #7227
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Carlos,

Check THIS out.

Just popping in to say ......

Heya Ladder ......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #7228
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Back atcha G-F.

The AT looks good with the dash. Are you really gonna make it look like a LandRover with all those bars and mesh?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #7229
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Back atcha G-F.

The AT looks good with the dash. Are you really gonna make it look like a LandRover with all those bars and mesh?
Thinkin' bout it ......

I may do it to the 620 instead ......

I'm in my "mulling it over" stage at this moment ......

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #7230
Santa
Focused on the Future

Quote:
Carlos,

Check THIS out.

Hoot, there it is!

Holy smokes, could it be true?