User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #7576
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
To Idaho and Beyond...

Well, I'm off tomorrow on another 4000 mile+ ride up thru the Pacific Northwest. Highlight will be touring Glacier National Park, then into Canada and up to Banff and Jasper N.P.'s and soaking in the many Hot Springs to be found - that's if my Passport gets processed and arrives at the Post Office in Kalispell, MT by August 15th .

No laptop so I won't be doing a live RR but look for one down the road when I return - if I survive the Grizzly's and all the Kamikaze Deer up north .

Here are links to my planned routes more or less on Google Maps - on the 2nd leg, Point "M" on the map is my starting point and I'll also be stopping there on the loop back down so it doesn't show Point "A" for some reason

1st leg of my planned route - California to Idaho

2nd leg of my route - Idaho to Canada? and back Home

WeeBee screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 11:14 PM
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:08 AM   #7577
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
When starter works, on battery woltage usually drops to around 8 volts. When starter motor jams and don't turn, voltage can drop really low and wires to starter motor starts to heat... If you just turn ignition key and voltage drops on battery terminals to zero, probably battery is dead... Just use some other power source like car battery for test.

If you short relay properly, there should not be any clicking sound as you bypass relay. Otherwise seems that you just "duplicated" starter botton. And clicking sound means that battery does not have enough power for relay to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selah
Thanks Ladder.

Well, after jumping between the terminals with the screw driver I get some clicking from the relay but no action form the starter. Also from the starter button on the bars. What is the lowest voltage that the battery will turn the starter? - Just to make sure that it is not the battery before messing with the starter motor. I have it on the charger now, though I would have thought the 100 mile ride would have topped off the battery.

ravelv screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 02:14 AM
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 AM   #7578
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by selah
Hoping someone might be able to help out with this.

Situation:

After stopping for coffee 100 miles into a 4 day tour I turn the key and get no response from the starter. No lights not any thing at all. I check connections, fuses, and battery. Multitester shows battery at 12.6 volts with the key off. With the key on it goes to zero. Again no blown fuses. Spend another couple of hours going over all electical connections. Put everything back together and push start the bike. All electrics functional, though not the starter. Start the 100 mile ride back home. Stop the bike on the pass and try the electric starter again. No luck. Push start it again and finish the ride home.

The instructions in the Haynes manual shows a different starter relay than what is on my 88 bike. So not quite sure how to proceed. I am confused why the battery shows a charge with the key off and goes to zero whith the key on - especially with no blow fuses.

Any ideas? Thanks
All the good ideas have been tossed forward, second suggestion for the future is toss the Haynes manual and get the HONDA published book
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #7579
gothamAlp
happy to be here

Oddometer: 805
bon voyage, norcal -- looking forward to hearing about your trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
Well, I'm off tomorrow on another 4000 mile+ ride up thru the Pacific Northwest. Highlight will be touring Glacier National Park, then into Canada and up to Banff and Jasper N.P.'s and soaking in the many Hot Springs to be found - that's if my Passport gets processed and arrives at the Post Office in Kalispell, MT by August 15th .

No laptop so I won't be doing a live RR but look for one down the road when I return - if I survive the Grizzly's and all the Kamikaze Deer up north .

Here are links to my planned routes more or less on Google Maps - on the 2nd leg, Point "M" on the map is my starting point and I'll also be stopping there on the loop back down so it doesn't show Point "A" for some reason

gothamAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #7580
gothamAlp
happy to be here

Oddometer: 805
and thanks for the paint job linky
gothamAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #7581
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,398
Hey!!! Have fun!!

Ride safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 AM   #7582
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamAlp
and thanks for the paint job linky
So...are you going to do the same thing?

It does look good doesn't it....once you drag your eyes away from those lights

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #7583
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,398
Paint...

Has anyone tried Colorrite spary cans on your bikes? They have a nice setup at their webpage, but want to know if any had any experience with their products.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #7584
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,831
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
Has anyone tried Colorrite spary cans on your bikes? They have a nice setup at their webpage, but want to know if any had any experience with their products.
Without going into a long explaination I did not have very good luck with their spray color for the NH193P. Not even close in my opinion. After taking them up on their custom color matching option ($$) I was still less than impressed. It simply did not match, even sent them a side panel portion to go by. I think the Pearl White is just impossible to match.

Having said that the R134 in the spray can was a perfect match. They do not offer the '90 Moonstone color in cans. No non USA colors available.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #7585
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Boano Rally Fairing?

Hey Jim Rowley (or anyone else with one?),

Have you test fitted your Boano fairing? I'm just wondering - how accessible is the radiator cap with the new fairing in place? If it's not easily reached, would it be quicker to remove the fuel tank to access the cap?

If you don't know off hand, could you have a look when you next fit it up? It's not a burning issue - just curious.

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #7586
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,500
Dan,

I'm right in the middle of it right now. Pics to follow soon.

Jim.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #7587
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekube1
Hi Dan

Was only kidding really, BUT if you do decide to do something with the Boano fairing next year then let me know. I might be able to go for one as well and we can split the freight.
PM sent.

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #7588
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Dan,

I'm right in the middle of it right now. Pics to follow soon.

Jim.

KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #7589
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,831
Anyone here live in the Los Altos, Ca. area?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #7590
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335
Anyone here live in the Los Altos, Ca. area?
Sorry, Socal, Just North of LA

Steve