Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #12376
trex300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummycarbs View Post
Looks like a Moto Guzzi NTX. One page I found shows that color scheme as a 1985. This page lists it as a 1988-1990 model.
Thought it might have been a co-incidence, even has the gold rims like the '87 canadian version...kooky!
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #12377
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by quint7 View Post
Yeah I've done a tone of kits and I'll have to look at my Factory Pro kit I put in my Hawk. I'm wondering if it would work in the Alp. I have all kinds of jets from them for various bikes, I'll have to clean the carbs and see what's going on. The only thing I think about when seeing a Dynojet kit is that the slides are usually drilled out aren't they? I'll look into running your setup too. Thanks for the advice!
Yes, that is true. Since I did have a DJ kit and then removed it, the slides are stilled drilled. Sounds like you have experience with carbs though.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #12378
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrunner View Post
Yes, that is true. Since I did have a DJ kit and then removed it, the slides are stilled drilled. Sounds like you have experience with carbs though.
Yup. Just about to yank the 4 off one of my 1100 Zephyrs to check float height. The TA can be done with the bike on the ground instead of the lift due to it's height so that is nice and it means I can be a slowpoke with the Zephyr. We have had insane rain and winds the past week so riding has been a no go.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #12379
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,413
When I bought my TA, it came with a short Givi windscreen, in addition to the o.e. one. I've discovered that the Givi directs air right onto my Arai XD3 so that it causes some pretty severe buffeting. I've switched back to the o.e. screen and the buffeting is gone. Would anyone happen to have a tall Givi windscreen that they would like to trade for a short one (+ cash, if necessary)?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #12380
Shrimptacos
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi guys, I am having some mental issues trying to determine what may be a good first bike in 20 years. I found a transalp on Craigslist out of Vegas and have a few questions...at 5'7" am I too short ( for the bike )? Are parts hard to find? Is there anyone local who has one locally that I may be able to look at (Los Angeles)? Anyone in Vegas who may be able to look at this bike for me?

I started with an interest in the f650gs but was givin the " it's a single / underpowered " lecture. Then started to look into the f800gs, new, a bit pricey and don't find too many on the used market. Then the tiger 800abs also new, a bit more affordable than the BMW. Kinda thinking used though being the first bike in many years.

Any help would be great, maybe someone with a psychology background?

Rob
Also, feel free to call 818 216 2162
Shrimptacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #12381
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimptacos
Hi guys, I am having some mental issues trying to determine what may be a good first bike in 20 years. I found a transalp on Craigslist out of Vegas and have a few questions...at 5'7" am I too short ( for the bike )? Are parts hard to find?
mas355 to the white courtesy phone please...

I'm a little taller than you. I find the TA's stock ride height to be about perfect for my 32" inseam. You can lower them, if necessary.
Quote:
Is there anyone local who has one locally that I may be able to look at (Los Angeles)? Anyone in Vegas who may be able to look at this bike for me?
You may want to post this in one of the regional forums. There are plenty of inmates in the LA and LV areas. I'm sure you'll find a Honda-phile that can competently assess that TA.
Quote:
I started with an interest in the f650gs but was givin the " it's a single / underpowered " lecture. Then started to look into the f800gs, new, a bit pricey and don't find too many on the used market. Then the tiger 800abs also new, a bit more affordable than the BMW. Kinda thinking used though being the first bike in many years.

Rob
I find it hard to believe that the F650GS would be considered "underpowered" but I guess it depends on perspective. I think the F650 would be an alternative but the two bikes are a bit different.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #12382
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimptacos View Post
Hi guys, I am having some mental issues trying to determine what may be a good first bike in 20 years. I found a transalp on Craigslist out of Vegas and have a few questions...at 5'7" am I too short ( for the bike )? Are parts hard to find?
I'm also 5'7" and my T/A fits me very well!

Parts have been no problem at all but as I understand T/A Body panels are unavailable (except used). Engine, Tranny and other wear parts are easily sourced as that engine is used in a number of other Honda models. My only problems (for parts) has come from Honda Dealers parts counters guys/kids(that my bike is older than) who automatically think no parts are available for the bike and usually never heard of one. Ordering parts Online eliminates that problem.

Great bike, you won't regret buying it.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #12383
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimptacos View Post
Hi guys, I am having some mental issues trying to determine what may be a good first bike in 20 years. I found a transalp on Craigslist out of Vegas and have a few questions...at 5'7" am I too short ( for the bike )? Are parts hard to find? Is there anyone local who has one locally that I may be able to look at (Los Angeles)? Anyone in Vegas who may be able to look at this bike for me?

Rob
Rob,

You have really told us very little to go on regarding your intended plans, highway verse off road, commute, trips, etc. Also knowing what experiences you have had on bikes in the past would help and your level of servicing bikes.

Based on what you have asked I would have to say no, a Transalp is not a good first bike in 20 years or a good first bike for anyone. You have no idea what you will really use this bike for until you own it, I would buy something far more common, more generic, easy to live with, and can be sold easily when you determine exactly what kind of riding you really plan to do and that will be determined after you own it.

I would think that a buyer who is getting back on the bike after 20 years just wants to put gas in it and ride. Any 22 year old bike would need to be carefully looked over before purchasing it, Transalps included, but take a experienced Transalp own to check it out.

It seems the trend these days is to claim it is in excellent to mint condition as long as it polishes up and runs with no noticeable immediate defects but rarely have these older bikes been thoroughly and properly maintained unless owned by a knowledgable Transalp rider. I have serviced a lot of Transalps and can always find issues of neglect or lack of maintanence or worse, poor maintenance.

Search for a bike that is much newer and more common and I think your "back on the bike after 20 years" experience might be more fun.

Parts for these bikes are disappearing fron Honda and although a good Transalp is very reliable hearing "Part no longer available" is never fun.

The Transalp engine is not shared by any other model, it is for the most part unique to the 89 - 90 XL600V.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #12384
Shrimptacos
n00b

Thanks Guys,
My skill level is limited to a yamaha 250 enduro I used to commute to hgigh school and the into jr collage. I guess I used it for my daily driver now that I think about it.

the intention for getting a bike is first and foremost, fun. I suspect I would use her to do short hopes around the immediate area, 10 mile round trips. Second, trips over to the coast on weekends or commuting to work as weather permits, 50 to 100 mile round trips. And last, I fish the eastern sierras a half dozen times a year and maybe would take that trip, a 350 one way. Once there, do some fire road type driving to get to spots on the river. realistically 85% road riding.

For mechanical aptitude... I have an 83 vanagon w/ a subaru motor and some stuff i do myself, sometimetime I wrangle someone to help that knows more than me and then there is the dealer or mechanic. so I think I would approach a motorcycle in the same way.

The guys who said the 650 was under powered are a friend that has an 1100rt bmw and likes to run it at 90MPH, another guy who likes "bigger" bikes and the salesman at BMW who promptly walked me over to the f800gs.

anyheck, like I said, just trying to make a well rounded as best educated decision.

Thanks again
Rob
Old 10-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #12385
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Well, the DT-1s would probably go 75 mph in 5th.

The New BMW 800s will do 75 in 2nd.

Does that help?

It's all about perspective.....and also money.

Did you do the Sub conversion yourself?

If you don't want to spend $10K plus for a new bike and have time, skills and a bit more money to spend for repairs and mods, an older TA CAN (emphasis here) be a fun "re-entry" ride.

Also be certain to allow at least another $1000 (yep, that much) for a good helmet and a decent set of gear.

Tell us more about what you think you want.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 07:24 PM
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #12386
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
The New BMW 800s will do 75 in 2nd.
Damn! I've been lugging mine all this time.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #12387
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Your air is too thin
Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #12388
Shrimptacos
n00b

Dt-1...?

The conversion was done through a fab shop which may have had a meth lab in the back. Once done I had to re plumb the system to allow to properly bleed out the air, long story, but did that myself.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #12389
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

If my memory hasn't totally quit on me, the DT-1 was Yamahas model designator for the 250 enduro.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #12390
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
Ray, I think you are right, seems around the late 60's the DT-1 was a popular enduro bike.

This brings back some fun memories, I found this image on the web of a 1975 Yamaha 250 Enduro, my very first motorcycle and I loved it. My test ride and first motorcycle ride ever was around a small lake on a single track path, before I was half way around that lake I was grinning from ear to ear.

I used to ride it on the streets to all the local trails and then back home all muddy, I thought that was cool. Entered my first 80 mile Enduro a year later and due to my superior time keeping skills and blistering riding abilites I was dead last and loved every minute of it.

The next year on a Penton I won my catagory in the same race. If it were not for that Yamaha 250 Enduro I probably would never have bought a bike, certainly would never have raced Enduro's so it holds a special place in my past.
Attached Images

mas335 screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 02:44 AM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote