User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #12391
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,829
Long winded carb tip !

Mine was the older version with the more "oval" tank.

Yamaha sold thousands of those in various displacements 90 through 360 in California alone. Pentons were for you serious right coast guys....first time I ever heard KTM though. Odd how some things stay the same.

So.......over the last week I discovered that I built my sons Africa/Alp with a badly assembled diaphragm for the front carb. I was in hurry to finish (why do projects always come down to the last minute before a major ride) and folded the corner of the diaphragm creating a front carb that would only raise it's slide about 1/3 of the way. Coming from an XR250, Chris didn't have any frame of reference as to how the bike was supposed to run and since I only test rode it around the block a few times I didn't discover it either.

To the TAs credit, it did 2500 miles through eastern Oregon like this. At one point in a higher speed section of the trip, Chris said that all he could do was about 75 mph. Having bought the bike used and neglected...and....having a touring load, I figured that the bike was tired despite freshening up the valves etc during the rebuild.

During my annual valve adjustment I noticed that one carb slide would drop like a rock..."snap" and the other would not lower as quickly or as strongly. On investigation, I found that the one to lower the slide (when lifted with a finger) more slowly was the "good" carb.

After servicing and correcting my error the bike pulls very strongly and we had it up to 98 mph (on the GPS)on a deserted road yesterday with a bit more to go.

What I found interesting is that the bike ran so well at lower speeds. It shows that the TA slides don't really lift until you get into the 5500-6000 rpm range. Maybe there's something to weaker springs or drilled slides after all.....hmmmmmmmmm.

So............here's the nugget for all you DIY guys (that's most of us, right?)

When you reassemble the carbs, lift the slide with your finger and plug the large line going to the secondary air filter. The slide should come down very slowly. If it snaps back down....you've either done something wrong or your diaphragm is torn. If you don't mind the taste of oil and dirt, you can also blow into the hose lines from the secondary air filters into the carb and see the slide rise.....again...if not you've done something wrong.

In the service manual, Honda recommends lifting the slide about 1/2 way BEFORE installing the top cap (you also have to align the small "dent" with the bleed hole). This puts the diaphragm into a good position too prevent you from being an idiot and folding the edge under the lid. Follow this advice !
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #12392
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,854
The way I understood the KTM/PENTON distinction was a contractural agreement, all KTM's sold west of the Mississippi were sold as KTM's, all sold in the East were known as Pentons due to the Penton family in Loraine, Ohio who had the distribution rights.

Although the bikes were identical and even the engine said KTM the tanks said Penton. All parts were ordered from KTM. The cool thing was to be at races and see Jack Penton and his brother racing in the events, what other brand had that kind of presence at races.

When I decided to get back on motorcycles I really thought long and hard about the KTM Adventure models and still lust after them just because I spent years on them, best steering and handling dirt bike I ever rode, just point and shot.

I had a similar CARB dilemma a while back and I think I wrote about it. I had one cylinder that was running rich, wet oily plug, and ran like crap. I swapped out carbs, rebuilt carbs, cdi's, thought I has a stuck oil ring, you name it, I was completely baffled.

Then I tried my Euro Carbs which seemed pointless since I had tried about 4 others but the bike ran great! The only difference was that the Euro Carb does not have the sub filters which told me that the problem was outside of the Carbs. I knew that I had changed the mini filters and the little connecting tube was from my "stock". I pulled the right connector tube to the filter, both ends looked fine, tried to blow through it and found the hose completely blocked up but with what. I knew immediately that I found the cause of all my problems but needed to know what was stopping up the hose, it turned out to be a wasp nest. This prevented the vacuum piston from lifting but the engine was still trying to suck in fuel.

We have these flying critters that I call mud dobbers, they like to get into small placed and build their nest out of our red clay air plugging mud.

I hate to think of the hours spent searching for an answer, I learned one thing, check the seemingly simple stuff first.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #12393
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Oddometer: 156
Chiming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimptacos View Post
Hi guys, I am having some mental issues trying to determine what may be a good first bike in 20 years. I found a transalp on Craigslist out of Vegas and have a few questions...at 5'7" am I too short ( for the bike )? Are parts hard to find? Is there anyone local who has one locally that I may be able to look at (Los Angeles)? Anyone in Vegas who may be able to look at this bike for me?

I started with an interest in the f650gs but was givin the " it's a single / underpowered " lecture. Then started to look into the f800gs, new, a bit pricey and don't find too many on the used market. Then the tiger 800abs also new, a bit more affordable than the BMW. Kinda thinking used though being the first bike in many years.

Any help would be great, maybe someone with a psychology background?

Rob
Also, feel free to call 818 216 2162
Hi Rob,

I do not post here must but I am around, mostly over in the Southeast threads. Here's my two-cents-worth answer.

The Transalp is a great bike for someone who rode a DT250 20 years ago. Though I was not away from riding for 20 years, all of my other bikes are at least that old, actually, it's closer to 40 years So I count the TA as my modern bike. The TA sits and rides akin to an old school dirt bike and that is the draw for me. I typically do 100- to 200-mile days that involve pavement (20-40 percent) and Forest Service roads (60-80 percent). I stay off the slabs (that's for cages IMHO).

I've looked into or ridden several of the newer bikes (DRZ400, KTM990, BMW 650, Wee-Strom) and every time I conclude the TA is the perfect bike for me. It's relatively simple and doing routine maintenance is easy. The newer bikes are too complicated, too tall and too big for my tastes. As with any older machine (like your V Dub) the TA will need a little special treatment now and then.

As for finding parts, for the few I've needed it has not been too difficult. My local mechanic was able to source the clutch parts I needed recently and, of course, this forum is a great resource. Did you say you are in L.A? The only issue I deal with on mine is that it can run a bit hot in traffic or climbing dirt roads. I've installed a manual fan switch and that seems to keep the temp where it needs to be.

Based on the riding you mention I would give the thumbs up to choosing a TA. Another bike I would consider for what you have described is an older DR 350 which could be had for 1/3 the price of the TA.

By the way, I am a 5' 6" female and I have not needed to change anything or lower my bike. And trust me, I would do so if necessary I really cringe at the whole my-bike-is-so-tall-but-I do-fine-on-it way of thinking. You should be fine. (I'm secretly hoping the TA will get the dreaded reputation of a "Girl's Bike" and there will be a mass sell off of said bikes thus allowing me to stockpile a few, along with a couple of Honda Hawks.)

But do be aware of one thing. A Transalp is always the most interesting bike in any group and tends to draw a crowd of enthusiastic gawkers wherever it goes.
Porkchop316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #12394
mas335
xendurist

" A Transalp is always the most interesting bike in any group and tends to draw a crowd of enthusiastic gawkers wherever it goes. "

Unless it's a group of Pirate dressed, bike polishers you are parked next to.

Good to hear from you PC.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #12395
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Seriously,

There is one girl on this thread.....and she doesn't post.

Story of my life....sigh.

As for the "girls bike" ........

......I think the TA DOES look like a girls bike - That's why mine looks like an AT......

..............INCOMING !!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #12396
mas335
xendurist

Maybe that is why the TA didn't sell good here, they went after the wrong market? Two of my favorite bad color names.

1988 YR151 Nancy Beige MC
2003 PB Breezy Pearl Blue
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #12397
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,620
Wtb ta

Hey guys since I got my 1990 moonstone this summer my Dad has finally decided he wants a Transalp too. If you have one any year or codor let me know thanks. Cory

West ish side of the country

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #12398
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,950
Almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
" A Transalp is always the most interesting bike in any group and tends to draw a crowd of enthusiastic gawkers wherever it goes. "

Unless it's a group of Pirate dressed, bike polishers you are parked next to.

Good to hear from you PC.
An Africa twin will get more attention than a Transalp. I have had them both in my garage at one time and now just the AT.

Most very very good bikes
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #12399
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...=79854&page=15

If the link works, it will indicate how much attention a Transalp can gather.
This (should be) a photo of me and my Alp at the 2011 Flinders Ranges Classic is South Australia.
Everyone else was on DRZs, CRFs, KTMs, but the vintage TA just kept rollin' along.
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #12400
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Flinders Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backonthebike View Post
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...=79854&page=15

If the link works, it will indicate how much attention a Transalp can gather.
This (should be) a photo of me and my Alp at the 2011 Flinders Ranges Classic is South Australia.
Everyone else was on DRZs, CRFs, KTMs, but the vintage TA just kept rollin' along.
Isn't that where all the wankers and yobo's hang out?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #12401
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Isn't that where all the wankers and yobo's hang out?
Yeah, most of us; except the ex-partiots who run away to Arizona (remind me again, where was Brokeback Mountain set?)
Hi Reidy, hope you're getting ready for winter.
Riding weather is upon us here.
How about Stoner?
How about Simoncelli? Very sombre night in front of the box last night.

By the way, I've stopped the oil use problem; in the final throes of grafting in a 2003 650 motor into the old girl.

Tim
Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #12402
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
in the final throes of grafting in a 2003 650 motor into the old girl.
Without telling us anything about it ????

I suppose now you'll say you were too busy to take photos.

You are officially on Mod Thread probation.

Redemption can be had with a complete "How-To" write up
Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #12403
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Crazy times

Stoner is just amazing, shows how good he was riding the Ducati.

Marco was a crazy thing. Two weeks in a row for racing deaths. Not really sure even what to say. I race with some AMA clubs over here and it is pretty sad around all the tracks right now.

So you are putting the 650 motor into your 600 frame. Is it a direct switch and bolts right up or are you having to do some mods?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #12404
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Without telling us anything about it ????

I suppose now you'll say you were too busy to take photos.

You are officially on Mod Thread probation.

Redemption can be had with a complete "How-To" write up
Mea Culpa Ladder (tug forelock, head down, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot, avoiding eye contact).
Truth be known, I basically copied ThunderDan's fantastic advice on Page 504, Post 7546 of this thread.(I have these numbers tattooed on my inner thigh)
Dan is a proper mechanic; me, I'm just a muddler, so his advice is worth far more than mine.
(I'm amazed that having bolted my bike together from a bunch of bits in fruit boxes, I actually managed to do 11,000 km on it without it breaking down.)
Dan's advice is what gave me the confidence to do the swap.
As it turned out the motor I bought sight unseen on eBay Australia, is not a Transalp 650, it has an RC prefix engine number, which I believe comes from the Hawk you have in the US (not seen in Aus).
The major difference appears to be a rear upper engine mount in the crankcase casting.
Otherwise the motor bolts straight in, using the front mounts and the lower rear mount.
There has been a bit of funny business with sensor coils and the water pump cover which Dan has desribed. The rotor in the new engine is a funny thing, a series of eight fingers going past the pulse sensors, rather than the arm in the 600 motor; drives the tacho beserk, but othersie seems to run.
Will past some pics of the final product when complete.

Backonthebike screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 07:26 PM
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #12405
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Stoner is just amazing, shows how good he was riding the Ducati.

Marco was a crazy thing. Two weeks in a row for racing deaths. Not really sure even what to say. I race with some AMA clubs over here and it is pretty sad around all the tracks right now.

So you are putting the 650 motor into your 600 frame. Is it a direct switch and bolts right up or are you having to do some mods?
I agree Marco was crazy (well put). There was always a sense that he was going to burn out rather than fade away; still, a shock anyway.

It will be interesting to see how his passing affects Rossi (close friend) and Stoner (upcoming father). The news today said the last MotoGP death was 2003; I don't think either of there would have been around for that, and this might come as a bit of a reality check.

A mob of mates and I were at the Isle of Man TT this year when there was a death in the 600 race. Race red flagged; riders file past going back to the pits in indian file; 30 minute wait; PA announcement, "The organisers regret to announce the passing..........etc. Racing will re-commence in 15 minutes". Sure enought out they go again, as fast as before. Makes the hair on your neck stand up. Better men than me, Gunga Din.