User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #12751
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,619
Jetting and blinker relay

Putting a Uni air filter and Aftermarket pipe on my dad's bike. I know the main Jets are 120s and the slow Jets or pilots have been bumped to 40 should I change the main jets from 120 to another number what's the next up up? Secondly have a blinker that's not flashing but new blinkers on and it doesn't flash anybody know where the blinker relay is?

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #12752
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,853
Behind the headlight on the right side, hard to get to without pulling the headlight cowl. This image shows a replaced signal unit (silver drum) mounted on the original rubber mount.

IF a bulb is burned out or a bulb has a poor connection is a socket ( very common) then neither signal on that side of the bike will blink.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #12753
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
......Secondly have a blinker that's not flashing but new blinkers on and it doesn't flash anybody know where the blinker relay is?
It's up under the front dash cowling, right side. The flasher is in a small black plastic 'can' held under there by a rubber mount, it just clips in. Honda wanted $28 several years ago for it and they would have had to order it. I took the defective one out of the mount, heated the plastic cube and pulled out the old bad relay.

The guts. Old school mechanical relay.

I went to the autoparts and bought a 2 pin flasher for $3.50, heated up the empty stock relay can and stuffed the new small round relay into it, re mounted it in the stock rubber holder, sorry never took any pics, it's been working since.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #12754
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Thanks for the relay pics and tips. Mass (mark) what unit did u replace it with?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #12755
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,853
I want to say it was made by Triton(?), sold at Advance Auto stores, two pin design, worked pefectly and very affordable. I think there are others that will work just fine.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #12756
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Tweaked triple tree?

My forks are too far apart at the axle. The symptoms resemble those of another inmate here who found that his triple-tree bracket had gotten tweaked, so that the fork legs weren't quite parallel. I did wrack up the front end a couple of years ago, and have just been living with this, but it isn't right and I want to fix it. The fork tubes did get bent, but then repaired by Woody's, so I trust that those tubes are good.

So the first thing is to get the triple tree off the bike and examine the tubes as they are held by the clamps, to see if they are crooked. I could use some advice here.

It looks like I remove the brake caliper, handlebars, and all the homemade crap that is fastened on the front in place of the long-gone headlight, gauges, fairing, etc. (PO's work). Then I'm down to removing the center pivot of the triple tree -- unless there's a step I haven't figured out in here?
Do I just unscrew that big nut in the center and take out bearings and it drops out? I'll have to buy an appropriate socket; I don't have one that size. Using the incredibly crappy calipers that I have, I come up with a measurement of 30mm. Yes? No?

Also, at some point someone here hinted that they might have a triple-tree set for sale, but I've gone and lost track of that. I'd prefer to buy a good one than mess with trying to un-tweak this. Does anyone have one that they are confident is in good condition for sale?
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #12757
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Blinker relay

Just to be clear right side front n rear work fine. Left rear blinker insides fell apart so replaced it. Now no flash just solid light. So only one relay for both sides? If so might be some other issue if one side works and the other dosnt.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #12758
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,528
The one relay controls both sides

WeeBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #12759
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 454
Transalp timing / crankshaft end caps

Hi Guys,

This is I'm sure a common problem.

On attempting to remove the timing inspection cap and crankshaft end cap there was as expected no chance of them shifting by the usual means, instead there was nothing for it but to use a small chisel and even then it was a pig to get them out.

Obviously they are now both damaged, not a problem as I intend to weld a big nut on the end of the timing inspection cap - easy as it's steel, but the crankshaft end cap is aluminium and I don't have the welding kit for that, so I either buy a new standard one and probably face the same problem next time round, bodge it with a bolt or something through it.

Now, I'm sure I saw on the internet or maybe here that there is a replacement crankshaft end cap with a big nut on the end.... can anyone point me in the direction of said end cap or have any suggestions?

Cheers
Potski
Attached Images

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #12760
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 454
Hi again,

It's ok, I found what I was looking for here http://www.safermoto.com/lima.html

Might be useful link to keep hold of for others too when it comes to valve adjustment time.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #12761
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,528
Yeah, mine also stripped when trying to remove it for a valve adjustment. Replaced it with the LiMaCap-2 and I'll never have that problem again

WeeBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #12762
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Putting a Uni air filter and Aftermarket pipe on my dad's bike. I know the main Jets are 120s and the slow Jets or pilots have been bumped to 40 should I change the main jets from 120 to another number what's the next up up? Secondly have a blinker that's not flashing but new blinkers on and it doesn't flash anybody know where the blinker relay is?
With that set up I would go up to 122.5 (the next size), and get some #6 brass washers to shim up the needles. The shims will make more difference than the main. Have a look here for a lesson on carbs and jetting: http://hondanighthawks.net/carb14.htm

The shims should be about 0.025 - 0.030". And note that on the T/A there is a little plastic cap holding the needle in place. I think you have to rotate the cap a little to release it. I have this [jet] set up on mine with Laser exhaust and K&N filter and it starts easier, has more roll on power, and starts easier cold. I hate jet kits because they only upgrade the mains and needles. The pilots have an influence over the whole throttle range; check to link.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #12763
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Thanks for the relay and jetting replys. How about front sprocket output shaft splines? My Dads bike has 23 thousand on it. The output shaft splines are half gone! Scary really. The shaft was not rusty or dry. Previous owner must run the chain too tight. Any fixes? I know pull the motor split the case way over my head and pricey.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #12764
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Uni filter?

Quote:
What UNI-filter are you using, I have only seen K&N aftermarket filters for the alp but would much rather have foam.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #12765
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxthmper View Post
What UNI-filter are you using, I have only seen K&N aftermarket filters for the alp but would much rather have foam.
Uni Filter part #NU-4097 if u want the foam reusable air filter