Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #12781
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post
Hi All.

Regarding the output shaft spines… some years back now when I bought my 88 Alp the first thing I checked was the output shaft. Fortunately it was Ok ish. There was a little play which would have only gotten worse over time, so I had a bit of a think and super glued it in place. The superglue only fills in the slight gap, it’s not in any way meant to hold the sprocket on. I must admit I didn’t think it would work, but it did. I’ve popped the gear lever and cover off a few times to check it hadn’t come free, but it hadn’t budged. Changing the sprocket did require a puller to extract it though and then I popped the new sprocket on with superglue again. Doubt it would work on a badly worn shaft though. On my 1999 bike which has very few kilometres on it, there was no play I could see at all, but I’ve done the same with that bike as a preventative measure anyway. I think that once there is a little play it gets worse and worse and trashes itself because of the constant back and forth motion…stop it before it starts is my way of thinking…and of course run with a slack chain

Cheers
Potski
Good post there too! I'll take some pics of the splines this weekend. Thanks fellas.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #12782
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Gel battery for Transalp XL600V

This summer my old conventional battery finally was shot and I somehow was "tired" of adding water to it time by time (as well as annoyed by acid mixture leakage when bike is on side), so I started to look around for non-serviceable battery options available here in EU. I wanted to try GEL one. Directly no sellers where advertising GEL batteries for XL600V. I had to check by sizes and proper terminal placement. TA stock battery I measured: W=133, H=161,D=78 mm's.
I found that JMT CB12A-A GEL should fit and ordered it. Dimensions specified- 136x82x162 mm's. And compitable with:
JM Nr. YB12A-A
Varta Nr. 51211
GS GM12AZ-4A1, CB12A-A
FB FB12A-A
Fiamm Nr. 6S3P
Exide EB12A-A

Battery arrived like in picture. Also pair of good quality bolts/nuts supplied. Nice.
Attached Images

ravelv screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 02:07 AM
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #12783
ravelv

Battery fits perfect in place of stock one. Except it has different top surface design. In picture you can see stock battery holder and gap to battery's top.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #12784
ravelv

So, I took similarly soft (to original) rubber and "glued" on top of original with strong double glue sided tape. Degreased surfaces with acetone as well before putted all together.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #12785
ravelv

I've done ~700km's only with this battery so far, no problems.
I still have stock voltage regulator (which I'll replace soon to one from CBR).
Attached Images

ravelv screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 02:17 AM
Old 01-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #12786
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Delkevic GSXR tri oval exhaust?

I know someone on here has the 13" tri oval gsxr muffler on their TA, but I can't find the post or pictures please point me in the right direction. Also what is the sound like, ie how loud is it going to be?
thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #12787
GaryW
Gifted Amateur

Oddometer: 39
It's on the TransAlp.com web site. Should be right on the front page.
DR650 REBUILD ALBUM
http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryTWMW/DR650Rebuild03#
GaryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #12788
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
AT for in AZ

2bold2getold screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 12:02 PM Reason: CL listing deleted
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #12789
kyjenkin
Squatchy

Oddometer: 51
Yes, another modded TA

So I traded my 955i Tiger this past November for a very clean and good looking 1989 TA that has a few farkles. I love the look of these bikes especially the side panels! The single square headlight is pretty much the only thing on it that makes it look its age.

I enjoy the paint scheme the last owner gave it and I'm going to carry the military look over but with textured paint and modern OD to top that. What I've decided to do is replace the factory side panels with some homemade ones made of Kydex plastic. I chose Kydex because it is cheaper than say...aluminum...and lighter also and it will flex and bend but not snap in a tip over like the brittle old stock panels will. With original panels in good condition being somewhat rare and expensive, I decided to do this to "preserve" the ones that are on it. So with several inmates having made their own panels/radiator shrouds with good end results, I am going to do the same with mine.

I am a complete noob when it comes to fabricating body panels and working on motorcycles in general but I am mechanically inclined and a decent problem solver. I just lack experience and knowledge that comes with the territory so if anyone has advice it'd be appreciated!

Using Modrover's creation as a panel design and shape that I liked, I contacted him with some questions and he was very cool about answering!

My total vision is to create an enduro style TA that looks cooler and rides better offroad due to lighter weight up front and XR600R suspension that came from a previous owner's mod. I'm going with a Trail Tech X2 headlight setup because I have always liked the stacked headlights of the big KTMs and its affordable! But for now I'm just doing the side panels.

Here's the cardboard mock up

Close up. I'm not going to do the multi drill hole design like Modrover but I was trying to visualize vents! That's his creation and I think I'm going to go with either oval cutouts or the "gill" type cuts that the BMW S1000RR has.

Nothing like the smell of fresh cut plastic!

Petcock template

Mounted up for the first time. I still haven't molded the panels at this point but they are now. Sorry for the bad lighting!

I decided to use two layers per side because the panel I bought was flimsier than I knew. So I'm adhering the layers and clamping them.

More to come later!
kyjenkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #12790
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
Very nice! I rattle canned my bike flat camo brown, like the "coyote brown" military web gear comes in now. I love it. I was going to do the frame, but had done it in a shiny aluminum paint and I like the contrast of the two colors.
After tearing the bike apart all winter I am almost done, just levers, Givi guards and rear brake shoes and I'm done. All of those are in the garage. Fired it up for the first time since fall and taking it all apart and after forever it finally started. I was hoping the new plugs would get her to fire. Bike is back to stock engine/exhaust-wise and it is cold blooded as hell. Once she is warm she throttles right up to redline. That stock muffler sounds nice and is 1/2 as quiet as the Supertrapp I removed...... and I LOVE Supertrapps!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #12791
kyjenkin
Squatchy

Thanks! The coyote brown will look sweet! Those supertrapp mufflers look the shit on these TAs! I have a 01 GSXR-1000 titanium silencer on it that's painted flat black. Looks and sounds awesome! It only weighs like 7lbs. Mine has a dynojet kit in the carbs and I'm pretty sure that's what makes mine very cold-blooded too. According to some threads on transalp.org the dynojet kit wasn't really designed for the TA and they make it use too much fuel and contribute to the long cold starting. I may do something about that eventually but it's not a priority. Do you have any pics of your tear-down/rebuild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quint7 View Post
Very nice! I rattle canned my bike flat camo brown, like the "coyote brown" military web gear comes in now. I love it. I was going to do the frame, but had done it in a shiny aluminum paint and I like the contrast of the two colors.
After tearing the bike apart all winter I am almost done, just levers, Givi guards and rear brake shoes and I'm done. All of those are in the garage. Fired it up for the first time since fall and taking it all apart and after forever it finally started. I was hoping the new plugs would get her to fire. Bike is back to stock engine/exhaust-wise and it is cold blooded as hell. Once she is warm she throttles right up to redline. That stock muffler sounds nice and is 1/2 as quiet as the Supertrapp I removed...... and I LOVE Supertrapps!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #12792
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
No I don't. It's been so freaking cold this winter that I haven't been out in the garage in the past month. It's dark here now and the wind is whipping so no pics tonite. I'll definately have some over the next week or 2 I'm sure. The bike looks 'smaller' in the brown to me, and they do say white makes things look bigger....... which is why I gave up on wearing white!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #12793
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjenkin View Post
So I traded my 955i Tiger this past November for a very clean and good looking 1989 TA that has a few farkles. I love the look of these bikes especially the side panels! The single square headlight is pretty much the only thing on it that makes it look its age.

I enjoy the paint scheme the last owner gave it and I'm going to carry the military look over but with textured paint and modern OD to top that. What I've decided to do is replace the factory side panels with some homemade ones made of Kydex plastic. I chose Kydex because it is cheaper than say...aluminum...and lighter also and it will flex and bend but not snap in a tip over like the brittle old stock panels will. With original panels in good condition being somewhat rare and expensive, I decided to do this to "preserve" the ones that are on it. So with several inmates having made their own panels/radiator shrouds with good end results, I am going to do the same with mine.

Close up. I'm not going to do the multi drill hole design like Modrover but I was trying to visualize vents! That's his creation and I think I'm going to go with either oval cutouts or the "gill" type cuts that the BMW S1000RR has.

Nothing like the smell of fresh cut plastic!

Petcock template

Mounted up for the first time. I still haven't molded the panels at this point but they are now. Sorry for the bad lighting!

I decided to use two layers per side because the panel I bought was flimsier than I knew. So I'm adhering the layers and clamping them.

More to come later!
I didn't know about this stuff (Kydex plastic), very intersting, looks like it could be very usefull for custom fairings, what thickness did you get, are you heat molding it, heat gun? Looks like it could be very intersting, and reasonablly priced.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #12794
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
rattle can custom paint

my rattle can textured sorta black
Attached Images

ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #12795
kyjenkin
Squatchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxthmper View Post
I didn't know about this stuff (Kydex plastic), very intersting, looks like it could be very usefull for custom fairings, what thickness did you get, are you heat molding it, heat gun? Looks like it could be very intersting, and reasonablly priced.
I purchased a 24"x 48" panel that was a penny thickness. I had reservations about getting it that thin but my brother convinced me to get the lightest I could. I could still go with a single layer but I thought it might be too flimsy. You can get it in varying thicknesses. I bought a decent high heat heat gun from Harbor Freight and marked out where I wanted to bend the panel. Then I carefully heated both sides and used my tool case as an edge to bend on. I also mounted it on to the bike itself to get the bends correct and I used a large socket to roll and form where it was needed. I'm learning as I go but I'm happy at the progress made so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
my rattle can textured sorta black
Did you pick this one up from Occasionaldirt in CO? His textured paint was where I got the inspiration to texture my panels. I want to get my Corbin seat done in that color scheme too.

kyjenkin screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 08:28 PM