Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #12886
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA View Post
Haven't been on the site much as my TA is still unrideable from my crash back in August. Am pretty much healed from the shoulder injury but was hospitalized suddenly Feb 4th and just got a laptop from my Sister to check in.

Funny thing is, spending too much time sitting at my computer is what put me in the Hospital. I have what's called Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clotting) in my left thigh which caused a Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot) to form in my left lung. As if that wasn't enough, the CAT scan that showed the lung clot also showed a mass/tumor on my left kidney which the Docs are fairly certain is a Renal Cell Carcinoma. It's a miracle they found the thing as the CAT scan was meant for my lungs and the Radiological Technician that set it up just happened to set the scan parameters a little on the wide side.

Things were a bit rough at first as I was started on Blood Thinners to begin dissolving the clots. The tumor began bleeding and I ended up being transfered from my local smallish hospital to the UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco the evening of Feb 8th. The staff here is great and I think I am in the best hands possible. They stopped the blood thinning process and ended up transfusing me with four units of blood and it appears the bleeding has stopped. A Inferior Vena Cava Filter was installed as a safety measure and they are just about done easing me back into the thinning routine as the priority is to get me out of danger regarding the blood clots then address the tumor. The Urology Doctors say the best outcome would be for the tumor to test Benign and wouldn't need surgery but don't seem incined it'll turn out that way so may end with just one kidney or one and a portion of one.

Anyway, take care and make sure your Healthcare Premiums are paid up. Send enough good hope & thoughts my way and maybe I'll pull out of this speed-wobble life has dealt me and be able to ride on for many more years

Dave

Well that's all well and good but WHAT ABOUT THE TA?

Just kidding, I hope you heal up!
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #12887
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,831
To Dave and Jim,

Both of you are dealing with something that none of us ever expect to here until it happens, it puts everything in perspective in a way that nothing else could.

As long as we have this thread there will always be people ready to let you vent when you need to.

I'm glad you guys shared what you are going through, it brings all of us a bit closer.

I pray for a complete recovery for both of you.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #12888
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
The harness looks the same on the Canadian model too. I taped up the parking light wire. Can't get it working quite right though. The headlamp on/off switch works but the headlight goes off when switched to high beam although it does momentarily go to high beam when pressing the hi/low switch.
I've had a look at the haynes wiring diagram but my head hurts after staring at it for ages. I don't suppose you have any insight on it before I do some testing?
It just sounds like a bad connection in the switch, possible dirty contact points in the switch. Try spraying it with a cleaner of some sort.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #12889
trex300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
To Dave and Jim,

Both of you are dealing with something that none of us ever expect to here until it happens, it puts everything in perspective in a way that nothing else could.

As long as we have this thread there will always be people ready to let you vent when you need to.

I'm glad you guys shared what you are going through, it brings all of us a bit closer.

I pray for a complete recovery for both of you.
Well said. +1
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #12890
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
It just sounds like a bad connection in the switch, possible dirty contact points in the switch. Try spraying it with a cleaner of some sort.
Looking at it closer, I think the switch is wired up differently at the early models. The Hi/Lo switch seems to behave the same even if the headlight switch is off. The import model with headlight on all the time is a silly idea. Guess Honda did it for legal reasons.

EDIT: just sussed it. The power which goes into the high/low switch needs unsoldering and swapping with the terminal which is for dipped lights. Works a treat now. :)

ferretface screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 07:04 AM
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #12891
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Thanks all for the kind thoughts - Jim, I hope your treatment is effective and your recovery complete.

They got my Warfarin levels close so I was released Sat afternoon and am back at home. Plan is for me continue taking the Warfarin to help get rid of the blood clots then return to UCSF in 6-8 weeks when they will address the tumor on my Kidney.

Ray - I'm still fighting the other drivers Ins (Geico) to accept responsibility for the accident. Have not gotten an estimate but I'm sure the front wheel, headlight frame, nose cowl and side plastics are fubar and possibly the forks and triple trees too.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #12892
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA View Post
Thanks all for the kind thoughts - Jim, I hope your treatment is effective and your recovery complete.

They got my Warfarin levels close so I was released Sat afternoon and am back at home. Plan is for me continue taking the Warfarin to help get rid of the blood clots then return to UCSF in 6-8 weeks when they will address the tumor on my Kidney.

Ray - I'm still fighting the other drivers Ins (Geico) to accept responsibility for the accident. Have not gotten an estimate but I'm sure the front wheel, headlight frame, nose cowl and side plastics are fubar and possibly the forks and triple trees too.
Dave,
Sending positive thoughts your way from sunny Australia.
There's something about finding the beauty in a Transalp that means that every TA owner you meet, you like. Seems we're all cut from pretty much the same cloth. Hope you're on the mend.
As an aside, I didn't think you Yanks needed your War farin' levels topped up at all.
Cheers
Tim
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #12893
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,808
Darn good thing, or you lot would be speaking Japanese.

Dave,

Moonstone plastics are pretty much unobtainable. Forks and brackets we can find...but you'll probably have to pick a color and find a painter.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #12894
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Darn good thing, or you lot would be speaking Japanese.

Dave,

Moonstone plastics are pretty much unobtainable. Forks and brackets we can find...but you'll probably have to pick a color and find a painter.
My favorite food is sushi, I drive a Toyota, I have a Seiko watch, a Panasonic TV and use Global knives in the kitchen. As Basil Fawlty said, 'Who won the bloody war, anyway?'
Cheers
Tim
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #12895
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,500
Dave,

After surgery, I kept getting Heparin shots in the stomach every eight hours. It got annoying fast. Why is it that every procedure has to wait for 6-8 weeks? You would think there's a sense of urgency.

If you're not hooked on stock body panels, you could get a Boano kit. Just order it while covering. The shipping is almost the same cost of the kit.

Tim,

You forgot one, you ride a Honda.

Jim.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #12896
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
Dave,

After surgery, I kept getting Heparin shots in the stomach every eight hours. It got annoying fast. Why is it that every procedure has to wait for 6-8 weeks? You would think there's a sense of urgency.

If you're not hooked on stock body panels, you could get a Boano kit. Just order it while covering. The shipping is almost the same cost of the kit.

Jim.
I was also getting the shots in the belly fat on my initial hospitalization with a low-molecular weight Heparin variant called Lovonox. UCSF had me on regular Heparin administered via IV drip so had to endure no more freakin' shots in the belly. I think the 6-8 week wait is to give my body a chance to destroy/absorb the blood clots in my thigh and lung and to gain strength for the coming operation on my kidney.

The Boano option is nice but is out of reach for me financially. Most likely, my bike will be considered totaled and I may get a chance to buy it back. If so, I most likely would sell it or part it out then find another low-mile example and start anew.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #12897
dseric
Living for Adventure

Oddometer: 265
Headset bearings

Just finished putting new headset bearings on my TA. Question is should the outer bearing spin freely once the rubber seal is in place and against it? Seems really hard to turn. Thanks!

Here it is installed:

Old 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #12898
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Handguard help

Guys,
I would like to install some tough handguards and haven't found much information on them. I am looking at Acerbis Rally Pro and Barckbuster VPS, but I can't find enough pictures to see which will fit easier. I am running a stock XL600V Transalp with stock bars and controls. Does anyone have feedback on what it's like to install handguards like these? I don't mind a little niggling but would like to keep it as simple as possible. I will be fitting some Givi crashbars at the same time among other minor projects.
Thanks!
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #12899
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,500
Here's a pic with the Acerbis Rally Pros on. You shouldn't have any issues installing either set on your stock bars.

Jim.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #12900
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseric View Post
Just finished putting new headset bearings on my TA. Question is should the outer bearing spin freely once the rubber seal is in place and against it? Seems really hard to turn. Thanks!

Here it is installed:

Not sure what you mean by outer bearing but this lower bearing should not spin free if it is properly packed with grease. It is possible to press it down so far down the steering shaft that it makes heavy contact with the seal body. As long as it is possible to rotate the bearing then I think you will be fine, it barely rotates when it is assembled. Damageing a bearing cage while installation can cause a problem but from this photo it looks ok.

You did replace the races as well?