Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #12946
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
With a lot of help from Ladder106 (thanks Ray) my Dad and I got his 89 Transalp tuned up and back on the road.
We bought it back in December with 28,000 miles it needed a tune up. new cables and new chain we also put the 13 inch Delviek ebay GSXR exhaust pipe on it, foam air filter new tires Corbin seat, valve adjust change the thermostat general tune up its ready to go now. my dad is back on the road and ready to take another adventure

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #12947
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Last summer I replaced stock CDI to German made ones. Biggest difference was fuel consumption change- with stock CDI's I mostly had exactly 5.3l/100km@90-100km/h, then with these new ones at same speed, riding conditions I got 4.5l/100km@90-100km/h. There where nothing done to bike, just stright CDI swap.
I was really surprised.

But I'll continue testing, there are some problems as well, as always.
More deeper report will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I can't tell a bit of difference. Had them for about a year.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #12948
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
With a lot of help from Ladder106 (thanks Ray) my Dad and I got his 89 Transalp tuned up and back on the road.
We bought it back in December with 28,000 miles it needed a tune up. new cables and new chain we also put the 13 inch Delviek ebay GSXR exhaust pipe on it, foam air filter new tires Corbin seat, valve adjust change the thermostat general tune up its ready to go now. my dad is back on the road and ready to take another adventure

Very nice! Some day I'll be able to get back to work on mine and figure out what's up with it.
I was supposed to bring it with me out to LA in Feb. to take desert riding on a few vacations before riding it back east. Sigh.....
Get riding!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #12949
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,534
Quote:

Sweet,
Man, I miss riding... Snowing right now. Come on Spring...!

What's the story with that Fleetside..?

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #12950
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
Sweet,

Nice catch! Hopefully he will say it's a CST!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #12951
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
Sweet,

Ya we are having spring like weather here!

My 72 GMC has been posted for sale it's pretty sweet

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721172

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #12952
reltih
TransAlper

Oddometer: 33
camshaft installation problem

hi guys,
i took my engine apart because of the oil consumption and now i'm trying to put it back together but i find myself in a bit of a shity situation with the camshafts, there was a guy in 2010 that had the same problem here on advrider but nobody gave him an answer, so i hope someone here can help me, i'll share his link because i'm in exactly the same situation.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596624
my bike is a 94 model and i'm thinking maybe only post 88-90 models with the black engines have the R mark on the opposite side of the lobes or haynes sucks ass, or the Honda manual is dead wrong, i don't know.
thx guys !

reltih screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 04:39 PM
reltih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #12953
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Ya we are having spring like weather here!

My 72 GMC has been posted for sale it's pretty sweet

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721172
I took a look, but wrong denomination, for me. I prefer the 71-72 coil spring Chevys in two wheel drive. Super pick-ups. I went thru 5. One hit 250,000 mi on second engine, that one was my favorite. a 3/4 ton coil spring with overloads. New Process and manual steering.

For a leather steering wheel, find a Cimarron. It bolts right up and fits the steering column cowl. Same horn button innards.

Nice looking pick-up.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #12954
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
In first Honda shop manual addendum there is update on camshaft install procedure. Check back here, I just scanned it.
Most likely that's why there are two procedures to do it- Haynes maybe used that procedure from addendum...
I checked also next two addendums, which are rellevant on your bike, there is not anything regards camshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reltih View Post
hi guys,
i took my engine apart because of the oil consumption and now i'm trying to put it back together but i find myself in a bit of a shity situation with the camshafts, there was a guy in 2010 that had the same problem here on advrider but nobody gave him an answer, so i hope someone here can help me, i'll share his link because i'm in exactly the same situation.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596624
my bike is a 94 model and i'm thinking maybe only post 88-90 models with the black engines have the R mark on the opposite side of the lobes or haynes sucks ass, or the Honda manual is dead wrong, i don't know.
thx guys !
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #12955
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
Hawk Engine into 87 Transalp

Well, having run my new Hawk engine using the porcupine shaped rotor, and the magnets (2 off) that came in the motor, connected to the two original 600cc CDI units, the bike was popping, backfiring and would not pull under load in the mid rev range.
Today I stripped out the rotor (sinle arm type thingo) and the magnets from the 600 and installed them in the Hawk engine.
First thing I noticed is that the tacho now reads accurately. With the porcupine rotor the tacho would rev off the scale at anything above idle.
As the bike is not registered or insured I took it for a 1 km loop on a private test track, and it seemed to pull allright, but still a bit of backfiring on the over-run, so I'm still not conviced.
I have put the original 600 carbs on the bike, and they were fine on the old engine, so I can't see that they would be noticably out of tune on the new engine.
The other concern I have that when I first fired the bike up, the rear pot heated the stainless header up to red hot in 60 seconds.
I'm on a scooter ride in the morning with a mate who is a mechanic. I'll pick his brain and report further.
Cheers
Tim
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #12956
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
I have put the original 600 carbs on the bike, and they were fine on the old engine, so I can't see that they would be noticably out of tune on the new engine.
The other concern I have that when I first fired the bike up, the rear pot heated the stainless header up to red hot in 60 seconds.
Your second statement proves your first statement is incorrect.

For some reason, the bike is running much too lean. The Hawk likely uses a much different cam profile (for street running) and with the additional displacement doesn't seem happy with the TA standard jetting.

Or you have an air or vacuum leak somewhere.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #12957
Fat Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Pilot Screws??

The Transalp has been idling a little rough for the last couple of weeks so I pulled the carbs today for a cleaning. While out I removed the caps from the pilot screws just in case. The slow jets were dirty.

After getting everything back together I decided to check the pilot screws to see where they were set. The left screw was "seated" and the right one was out between 1.5 and 2 turns. After adjustment they are both about 1.5 turns out.

My question is why would the left one be seated from the factory? I have not looked at them before because I assumed that they were set correctly from the factory since the caps were there.

All in all, it runs great now. I guess I should have checked them earlier.

FM

Fat Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #12958
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Your second statement proves your first statement is incorrect.

For some reason, the bike is running much too lean. The Hawk likely uses a much different cam profile (for street running) and with the additional displacement doesn't seem happy with the TA standard jetting.

Or you have an air or vacuum leak somewhere.
Thank for the advice Ladder, as a retired police Sergeant and practicing Attorney, I make a very average mechanic.
Re checked all of the manifold rubbers, found one (rear carb) not properly seated. Another 1 km test loop, and it looks like I'm back on the bike! Some new stainless jubilee clamps (in lieu of the Honda rubbish) and we'll be laughing.
Tim
Old 03-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #12959
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
So .......

What's the Hawk motor feel like?
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #12960
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
So .......

What's the Hawk motor feel like?
The old 600 was using 2 to 3 litres of oil per 1000km. Anything would be an improvement, but the new motor feels a lot more touquey, and crisper on throttle.
I've been spoiled the last 6 months by riding my new Suzuki DRZ400E, which is like a firecracker compared to the V Twin. I will register and insure the bike and take it for a longer run next weekend, and report back.
Thanks again for your input Ladder; it's a great comfort knowing that you and Mas are out there, tending to the herd.