Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #13231
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
The oval-piston silliness never really worked out, did it?

Don't forget the aux. air filters as 2bold suggested.
Oval? Seriously? In which axis?
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #13232
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Oval? Seriously? In which axis?
Just google "honda oval piston", lotsa hits
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #13233
toslow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
#40 Pilot change

Has anybody done this mod on a bike that is ridden at higher altitudes say above 5000 ft does it still help or hurt the performance thanks
toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #13234
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Hi guys
Here's a quick pic of my 1988 TA engine and chassis with everything else off a 1998 TA. The tank is 30 litre by Africanqueens. It has progressive front forks and harder oil and the rear shock has been rebuilt. Tyres are Pirelli MT21 and a very interesting sounding pipe from a 125cc Honda Varadero. There are lots of other subtle and less subtle mods too.

The bike is being shipped to Almaty in Kazakhstan this summer from where I'll ride a loop round Kyrgystan, Tajikistan, including the Pamir region, Uzbekistan and back to Kaz. Then via Altai Russia to Mongolia. Summer 2013 I'll ride it round eastern Siberia.

cheers
Chris in the UK
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #13235
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUK View Post
Hi guys
Here's a quick pic of my 1988 TA engine and chassis with everything else off a 1998 TA. The tank is 30 litre by Africanqueens. It has progressive front forks and harder oil and the rear shock has been rebuilt. Tyres are Pirelli MT21 and a very interesting sounding pipe from a 125cc Honda Varadero. There are lots of other subtle and less subtle mods too.

The bike is being shipped to Almaty in Kazakhstan this summer from where I'll ride a loop round Kyrgystan, Tajikistan, including the Pamir region, Uzbekistan and back to Kaz. Then via Altai Russia to Mongolia. Summer 2013 I'll ride it round eastern Siberia.

cheers
Chris in the UK
Wow. Good work on the bike. Are you going solo or do you have someone to ride with? This sounds like the definition of ADVENTURE TOURING. Not knowing the region, except from what I've seen on TV, it sounds a little risky. Although, from my experience, most people are really friendly where ever you go. Just watch out for the bad guys. I wish I could go!!! Safe travels.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #13236
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,861
Well Done, Chris.

The 98 front end is my favorite. I wish all the TAs looked like that.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #13237
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Hi guys

cheers
Chris in the UK
The pipe looks nice. Im looking for a new one for my 97 tell me more
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #13238
thepoddo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Well Done, Chris.

agreed!
thepoddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #13239
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Wow. Good work on the bike. Are you going solo or do you have someone to ride with? This sounds like the definition of ADVENTURE TOURING. Not knowing the region, except from what I've seen on TV, it sounds a little risky. Although, from my experience, most people are really friendly where ever you go. Just watch out for the bad guys. I wish I could go!!! Safe travels.
It's just me going, although you always meet likeminded travellers going the same way. Having done a lot of trips I've found the majority of the world to be full of genuinely pleasant and hospitable people.

The only time where anyone tried to do me harm was an attempted mugging.... In my home town in the UK! I say "attempted" because after a frank exchange of opinions he decided it was better for his wellbeing to return to under the rock from where he had just crawled.

I will definitely keep both eyes out for bad guys though. Usually it's bad dogs who like to try chewing my leg.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #13240
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Well Done, Chris.

The bodywork is already a bit battle-scared. Everything except the engine and chassis has already been round the world (and down the road...) 12 years ago with a friend: http://www.ontheroad.lu/bikes.html

As you do, I also prefer the 98 look to the 88. However the best looking bike (and big bro of the TA) IMHO is my 1995 Africa Twin RD07 (Sorry it ain't a good pic and the 2 blokes aren't pretty either . It's the only one I've got handy)

Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #13241
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
The pipe looks nice. Im looking for a new one for my 97 tell me more
I got it from a breaker near where I live. It's an aftermarket Scorpion pipe, apparently previously residing on a 125cc Honda Varadero. It's loud, kinda V-Twin loud, but mostly the sound is behind me and with ear plugs I hear very little. I personally subscribe to the Harley mantra of "Loud pipes save lives", so I'm not bothered.

The connector pipe and hanger was custom made in a local exhaust workshop. In the space where the OEM pipe was, I now have a spare oil filter, 2 levers and 2 pedals.

This OEM pipe was swapped onto my other TA, an 87 model whose zorst was a "little" rusty. (You might recall a while ago I asked about how to modify a OEM fuel tap/petcock to make it gravity fed only: That was that bike: see page 791 of this thread, thanks again mas335 for your advice: the mod worked like a charm!)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #13242
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The bodywork is already a bit battle-scared. Everything except the engine and chassis has already been round the world (and down the road...) 12 years ago with a friend: http://www.ontheroad.lu/bikes.html
Gee Whiz, That's quite a collection of adventures.Sounds like great fun. It looks like you don't let riding get in the way of good food and drink. And just how many times did you have problems with the clutch on Ellen's Transalp.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 09:56 PM
Old 05-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #13243
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Gee Whiz, That's quite a collection of adventures.Sounds like great fun. It looks like you don't let riding get in the way of good food and drink. And just how many times did you have problems with the clutch on Ellen's Transalp.

The .lu website is Manou and Ellen's. My website is thebrightstuff.com . The bike in the picture above has all the stuff off her bike (including forks/shock/swingarm/wheels), but the chassis and engine is mine (1988 black engine, different CDI units). I bought everything off her because her (1998 silver) engine seized.

I used my chassis and engine, because it matches the paperwork. I would have had to "import" her bike into the UK which would have been a big hassle/expense.

FWIW, I did replace the clutch plates on my (black) engine (the old ones were fine and I'm carrying them as spares (hidden under the left side panel, next to the air intake)).
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #13244
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,431
Muy bien! Great looking bike!

Quote:
Hi guys

cheers
Chris in the UK

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #13245
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The .lu website is Manou and Ellen's. My website is thebrightstuff.com . The bike in the picture above has all the stuff off her bike (including forks/shock/swingarm/wheels), but the chassis and engine is mine (1988 black engine, different CDI units). I bought everything off her because her (1998 silver) engine seized.

I used my chassis and engine, because it matches the paperwork. I would have had to "import" her bike into the UK which would have been a big hassle/expense.

FWIW, I did replace the clutch plates on my (black) engine (the old ones were fine and I'm carrying them as spares (hidden under the left side panel, next to the air intake)).
Ok, I get it now. You guys sure get around. Interesting bit of kit on the beemer. Where's the ice climbing shot from? Very nice.