Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #13726
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartan View Post

'89 Transalp
Very cool colours. Details on that windscreen?

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #13727
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I'm sure these haven't been seen here before but here are my first mods.

Ok, I know, I know......

Added the ubiquitous Givi bars and Pelican today.

AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #13728
Chartan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Waffles View Post
Very cool colours. Details on that windscreen?
The windscreen is a piece of plastic heated and bent into shape

Old 10-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #13729
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Auxiliary tank

Been thinking about adding a auxiliary tank to add some fuel range. Any one done it? I know about the Africa Twin tank but I'm thinking something like this

Or

Or maybe on pannier rack

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #13730
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Possibly something better here on the Nomad Tank site.

http://nomadtanks.com.au/
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #13731
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Possibly something better here on the Nomad Tank site.

http://nomadtanks.com.au/
I looked at them too they could work. I don't like loosing either seat room or the rear rack which I currently have a small pelican case mounted on.

The side tanks I Posted above you don't loose any saddle or rack area and fuel weight is lower

Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #13732
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
[QUOTE=Hotmamaandme;19763023]Been thinking about adding a auxiliary tank to add some fuel range. Any one done it? I know about the Africa Twin tank but I'm thinking something like this

G'day All,

Sorry not been over this way lately. Been doing a bit of riding & minor modding since here last. Getting set up to head down the same path as Cory with additional rear fuel capacity. Most likely will change the exhaust system again as well...

Cory,
I've been talking to a guy called Scott from advtank.com. They've based in Colorado Springs, USA. I've ordered one of there rear tanks they produce with mounting kit for either 950/990 Adventure or the 950SE. The tank is approx 2.2 gallons (8.3 litres). I advised him that if a mounting kit to LHS (remove toolkit & helmet lock..) could be produced - he might have a small market with the TA community?? Anyway, I ordered my tank 2 days ago & is on the USPS bird.
Off course it may not work at all, but I think it should with some trimming of the LHS side plate & making some brackets / mounts. Here is a pic:

Ideally the intention is to fit one to each side, for an additional 16L fuel capacity. That will further involve modifying the exhaust system & muffler.

BTW, I seem to recall someone came up with another non-vacuum type fuel tap (petcock) that fits the TransAlp main fuel tank? I'll try the search function, but anyone done this or remember / save the part number?

Cheers,

Dan.

Thunder Dan screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 03:44 AM
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #13733
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Hey Dan, ya I looked at those 950 ktm tanks too in the vendors section. They should work with mounting brackets keep us posted on the fit! I like you have already thought that a NON vaccumed pet cock would be the way to go for plumbing in a auxillary tank.

Keep the brain storm coming!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #13734
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
I know for a fact that the fuel valve from the XR250L will fit onto the TA tank.

You loose the plastic extension that lets you operate it from outside the side panel. It's smaller outlet but seems to flow enough for the TA.

Most Honda XR and others use the same fuel tank threads so many different types should fit. There are also very nice ones from Pingle. A bit pricey but very well build and can be fount in almost any configuration you want. These flow lots.

Remember the system is gravity fed so unless you get the fuel tank lids at the exact same height, fuel will run into the lower tank and overflow it. You'll need some type of diverter valve in the system. Most automotive shops have fuel tank "diverter" or "selector" valves. Dunno how big these are but it may be able to be fitted in some out-of-the-way location.

I've thought about using a small fuel bladder (for boating) located in my tailpack for long trips. This would be removable and plumbed into the system with a quick-connect fitting. Not used normally but good for extending range. Because it's a bladder, it would not take up much space unless I really needed it.

Remember to turn fuel off at the end of the day.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 09:32 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #13735
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimazaki View Post
Backonthebike is there any other option beside cutting the side plastics, I've been learning on the transalp the ways of off road, and off course learning is a bit hard for the plastics!! I would like to do something similar like you have in your bike... does anyone knows an alternative of cutting the original plastics??
Right now I have my TA completely dressed off, naked, and off roas "season" is starting, I want her to by beatiful as always :)
thanks
Hi Shimazaki,
I did not cut my old plastic. When I was given the bike they were so bad they could not be fixed. I made the radiator covers from an old aluminium road sign, and formed them into shape over an anvil.
I made a pattern first, out of carboard, then cut and reshaped it until it looked OK, then scribed the pattern oton the aluminium
Good luck
Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #13736
explain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Where did you get these?

How are they adjusted? A simple switch?

Any photos available? Cost?

These would be nice to have for the US. Set for better fuel most of the time but able to adjust downward for Baja/Mexico and some of the more "odd" fuels you get in the back areas of Utah and New Mexico.
Possibly ravelv refered to digital CDIs sold from www.motorbike-shop.de. AFAIK those have two advance curves stored and actual switching is done by cutting corresponding loop. One might put a switch to that loop to make that cut "reversable".
~4 months ago i upgraded original CDIs with Ignitech DC-CDI-P2 race unit (fully programmable). For now i haven't been experiencing significant mpg change. Maybe that's because stored curve reflects default settings for MS8 CI558 (30410-MS8-610) unit (10° BTDC @idle, full advance 30° BTDC @4500+rpm). Haven't played with the curve yet.
explain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 AM   #13737
shimazaki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backonthebike View Post
Hi Shimazaki,
I did not cut my old plastic. When I was given the bike they were so bad they could not be fixed. I made the radiator covers from an old aluminium road sign, and formed them into shape over an anvil.
I made a pattern first, out of carboard, then cut and reshaped it until it looked OK, then scribed the pattern oton the aluminium
Good luck
Thanks for the info
shimazaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #13738
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I know for a fact that the fuel valve from the XR250L will fit onto the TA tank.

You loose the plastic extension that lets you operate it from outside the side panel. It's smaller outlet but seems to flow enough for the TA.

Most Honda XR and others use the same fuel tank threads so many different types should fit. There are also very nice ones from Pingle. A bit pricey but very well build and can be fount in almost any configuration you want. These flow lots.

Remember the system is gravity fed so unless you get the fuel tank lids at the exact same height, fuel will run into the lower tank and overflow it. You'll need some type of diverter valve in the system. Most automotive shops have fuel tank "diverter" or "selector" valves. Dunno how big these are but it may be able to be fitted in some out-of-the-way location.

I've thought about using a small fuel bladder (for boating) located in my tailpack for long trips. This would be removable and plumbed into the system with a quick-connect fitting. Not used normally but good for extending range. Because it's a bladder, it would not take up much space unless I really needed it.

Remember to turn fuel off at the end of the day.

G'day Ladder,

Thanks for the lead on the XR250L tap, I remembered it was from a fairly common model, but couldn't put a finger on it. Just had a scout about & the NX650 Dominator tap looks a similar fit, without the vacuum shut off. Might be a starting point.

I'm hearing you on the diverter valve / tap. I've got a Mikuni Vacuum Fuel Pump from Boano with the mounting bracket (to starter motor cover bolts). I'm thinking some sort of 'Y' diverter valve near the feed to the pump. Would still be fairly accessible on the move to switch between tanks.

Fuel tap off, yes all over that. However, I couldn't get the bike started one early morning a few months ago (bleary eyed at 5am) on the way to work. Pushing the bike up the street incline in the dark, sweating my guts out. Thinking "Hmm, the fuel in the Carbs must be a bit off or evaporated". Rolling to the bottom, not firing up I realised why it wouldn't start. The kill switch was still off....

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #13739
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan View Post
. The kill switch was still off....

Cheers,

Dan.
Don't feel embarrassed Dan.
If we're honest here, I am sure we've all done that on the odd occasion.
On my first test drive of my first bike (a brand new Honda XL250 in 1973) I didnt know the difference between the kill switch and the indicators. Spent 20 minutes kicking the bastard until I worked it out!

Cheers
Tim
Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #13740
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
I remember someone posting here that he was having trouble starting his bike. Several inmates offered all kinds of ideas about what to check, this went on for a while, maybe a few days and someone asked if the kill switch was on, problem solved.

I never use it, that's what the key is for.