Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #13756
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,881
Well that is the problem, shipping from the UK seems higher than I would expect. I have seen those lenses advertised and was wondering about the fit and quality but wasn't willing to pay the total cost including shipping just to find out. So you are pleased wit hthe lenses?

Ladder,

your ride experience reminded me of last years ADV national Eastern Rally or what ever the offical name is that I attended one day. The ride started out fine but eventually a portion of the ride got separated due to a idiot who did not follow group instructions and left a intersection early leaving the rest of the group not knowing where riders went.

I felt bad for this group who for some traveled across a few states to come to this thing just to get dropped. So being familiar with the area I organized this group of about 10 riders and created a ride of our own.

This group was a mix of several GS bikes, 2 or three F650 bikes a DR650, a KLR650 and something that was off road modified and I don't remember what it was.

Our ride was a combination of dirt roads, fire roads, gravel roads, paved roads and mild to rutted out jeep trail type roads, nothing that required real knobbys, at least not on a dry day. Thousands of dollars tied up in all these bikes and not a single bike was able to stay with me after the first turn on any non paved road. I spent most of my time parked and waiting on them to re group. Keep in mind I'm riding a stock Transalp with Avon Distanzias.

The point is that for a 23 year old bike it more than held it's own, it felt very satifying and reminded me of just how much fun these bikes are to ride and how capable they still are.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #13757
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
shipping from the UK seems higher than I would expect
It's always about 3 times more expensive and takes 3 times longer than seems reasonable.

You'd thinkg for a country the just about owes its very existence to the USA sending supplies and ammo in the late 30s, they'd be a bit more...uhmmm...forthcomming with shipping stuff back to us.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #13758
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Shipping from the UK

I've always had good luck with parts purchased from David Silver Spares. Every order showed up within a week and cost wasn't three times more. Now, buying stuff from Boano in Italy is a different story. They'll only ship by UPS Air.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #13759
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Well that is the problem, shipping from the UK seems higher than I would expect. I have seen those lenses advertised and was wondering about the fit and quality but wasn't willing to pay the total cost including shipping just to find out. So you are pleased with the lenses?
Yep the quality is spot on - I can't tell any difference to the original lens myself.

The only difference that you might find is that it has an clear panel at the bottom for lighting the numberplate and I think the US bikes had a separate light for that (but it's extra gash to remove and will lighten the load!)

http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com/
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #13760
mas335
xendurist

FWIW, I have a pair of lightly used SIDI Strada EVO rain boots in the flea market, they are stamped 43 but fit like US 8.5, just too small for me..
Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #13761
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
I've always had good luck with parts purchased from David Silver Spares. Every order showed up within a week and cost wasn't three times more. Now, buying stuff from Boano in Italy is a different story. They'll only ship by UPS Air.

This summer at Vintage Motorcycle days in Ohio, David Silver was there at a booth and they were stating they had a US warehouse.................no mention of this on their web site not that it matters.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #13762
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 541
Jumping in on the praises for the Transalp - these machines are absolutely incredible! While I have much less experience and knowledge about these bikes then most on this thread, I can only say that I am continually impressed. My '89 has taken me and my wife over 25,000 miles throughout the past year and a half (and still going), through hot jungles, over mountains (16,000 ft +), on dirt and on highways with only a few minor complaints. She is happy enough with whatever gas we can find in remote locations. We couldn't have found a better bike for a long tour such as ours.

The TA at 4900 meters (= 16000 ft) in the Cordillera Blanca, Ancash, Peru. Also, since we're in a mods thread, that sheep now lives on our seat and what an improvement that is over the old Corbin saddle!

Ferretface is also taking advantage of the TA's touring abilities, with great photos and stories posted here:

csustewy screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 09:17 AM Reason: photo
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #13763
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Jumping in on the praises for the Transalp - these machines are absolutely incredible! While I have much less experience and knowledge about these bikes then most on this thread, I can only say that I am continually impressed. My '89 has taken me and my wife over 25,000 miles throughout the past year and a half (and still going), through hot jungles, over mountains (16,000 ft +), on dirt and on highways with only a few minor complaints. She is happy enough with whatever gas we can find in remote locations. We couldn't have found a better bike for a long tour such as ours.

The TA at 4900 meters (= 16000 ft) in the Cordillera Blanca, Ancash, Peru. Also, since we're in a mods thread, that sheep now lives on our seat and what an improvement that is over the old Corbin saddle!

Ferretface is also taking advantage of the TA's touring abilities, with great photos and stories posted here:
Great photo Mike! Tell me, did you re-jet the carbs for South America? Mine doesn't like anything above around 3000 metres and feels pretty wheezy - still pulls along though!

ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #13764
mas335
xendurist

In the flea market

Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #13765
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post

Totally agree...hard if not impossible to find a better all rounder.....enjoying your post and this excellent thread..

+1 Superb photo
Ride safe.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #13766
mas335
xendurist

Cusustewy, I think it's safe to say your photo has us all day dreaming for such a adventure ride, sadly for most of us it is never going to happen.

Great reminder of what this bike can do.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #13767
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
Great photo Mike! Tell me, did you re-jet the carbs for South America? Mine doesn't like anything above around 3000 metres and feels pretty wheezy - still pulls along though!
Hey Dan - I did the slow jet mod (to 0.040), but didn't change the main. I have not shimmed the needle position (per Ladder106's comments), which I still consider doing. And I do get the same sensation that you do - at those higher elevations she is gasping a bit, but keeps moving along just fine. On many of the 4000+ meter roads, we've been on dirt and switchbacks, so haven't needed much more. But recently following Radioman riding solo on his F800GS the lack of power was more noticeable (and he's just too darn polite to say anything about it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post
Totally agree...hard if not impossible to find a better all rounder.....
Potski - glad you enjoyed the photo, too! And you bet that all around the TA is tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Csustewy, I think it's safe to say your photo has us all day dreaming for such a adventure ride, sadly for most of us it is never going to happen.

Great reminder of what this bike can do.
Hi mas335 - I know it is a challenge to work a lengthy ride into anyone's life. But I know that you all appreciate just how capable these machines are, and a nice pic for some day dreaming inspiration never hurts, right?

I have a lot more confidence in taking a trip like this because of all the information already posted in this forum, and because of the strong community resource for troubleshooting. It's fantastic!
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #13768
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
I have a lot more confidence in taking a trip like this because of all the information already posted in this forum, and because of the strong community resource for troubleshooting. It's fantastic![/QUOTE]

+1 !!!

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #13769
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Did a 200 mile back-country ride with a SF bay group this Sunday.

Lately I've been looking at the new Tenere and the 990Adventures.

So, the ride took us on paved one-lane back country roads and up and down some fairly steep, loose, rocky and dusty two-track "almost roads".

The ride was just a ride, not a race and the bikes ranged from a GasGas300 (yes street legal...dunno how) to KTM 450s, 2 VStroms, a new Tenere, a KLR and a few BMWs.

So, as rides go...as we started climbing up the second dirt section the pace....uhmm...picked up a few notches.

The dedicated dirt bikes ran off to the point of hardly even seening their dust but my AfricaAlp and the two 990s were all in the second group. This lasted for 10 minutes or so untill first one KTM and then the other got past on long(ish) straight sections. It's hard to beat that Horsepower. I rode alone for the next few miles between the KTMs and the other more street oriented bikes.

At rides end we sat in the shade, drank Gatorade and traded stories. Lots of interest in the AfricaAlp. I thought it sure would be nice to have one of those new KTMs and started asking questions.

I wasn't very happy with what I discovered.......To wit:

Mileage: 35 mpg average
Range: About 150 miles before "reserve"
Rear tire cost: About $200
Rear tire life: 2000 miles (or less) on a knobby depending on terrain and how much throttle is used
Initial cost: Ouch !

The AfricaAlp:
Mileage: 42-45 mpg...never seen worse than 38
Range: 300 miles with the Africa Twin tank
Rear tire cost: $68.00 for a Michelin T63
Rear tire life: 3500 miles (cause there's not enough HP to shred it) (and also because I never ride knobs below 4mm or so...what's the point?)
Initial cost: $3000 a few years ago. Probably $5000 with mods

On the whole I was very pleased with how the AfricaAlp held up compared to stuff that was decades more modern.

Given the initial cost and range disadvantages of the big KTMs...I think I'll keep the Honda around for quite a while longer.
I am lucky in that I can afford any bike on the market. But, I chose a Honda Transalp. My Transalp will do everything the R1200GSA, Yamaha Tenerre, KTM 990ADV, etc will do except it is a lot more reliable. It is not as fast or as cool some might say. The TA is, infact, ULTRA COOL when I pull into a gas station or a cafe. In reality, I can repair anything on the TA in a ditch if need be where the others will have to hire a service to airlift the big bike to a dealer repair shop. I do most of my long haul adventure type ride solo and am quite comfortable in extremly remote places in North America.

As far as preformance goes, the TA is suprisingly nimble and will stay with the best of them in the twistys. I ride this bike doing MSF experienced class demos and I suprise most of the students how I can ride this in tight circles and from side to side. A great bike. The only downside for me is fuel capacity so I carry 3 gal,s extra fuel. I'm thinking of installing a large 35l tank.

Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke

Dudley screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 12:29 PM
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #13770
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 466
Hey Csustewy..can't you take a hint.. .How about we see that superb photo on "Show us your best Transalp photos" below

Ride safe

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote