Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #13831
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
I mounted mine like this

with a bracket like this

Oh that's a good post. So the lights move with the fork but what about wheel travel on compression? Worried the front wheel will hit lights?

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #13832
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,884
Wheel is turned to the left and lights are facing straight ahead?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #13833
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
There is a Transalp in the pic , look closely .

Nice Transalp! But the XR650L is ok, too

Is there anything else????
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #13834
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by partireper.it View Post
Hi guys. I own 2 Transalp, one dated 1987 with 250.000 km on it and the other one a 1987 transalp with some parts from the Africa twin. I have lots of second hand original parts for Transalp. Would it be agains the terms and conditions to post the link to the pictures over here?
Cheers
There is a thread for Transalp photos but here is good too... in keeping with the terms and conditions you should post the link to your inventory of second hand and original Transalp parts - and where I can pick them up when needed
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #13835
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Wheel is turned to the left and lights are facing straight ahead?
The bracket is attached to the two lower front fairing mounts, under the head of the bolt. The lights do not move with the forks.
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #13836
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
I mounted mine like this

Nice look, been thinking of something similar myself. Question, have you checked to see whether the LEDs overpower the turn signals when viewed from a distance like that of an oncoming car. I've heard that's an issue if the LEDs are too close to the turn signals.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #13837
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA View Post
Nice look, been thinking of something similar myself. Question, have you checked to see whether the LEDs overpower the turn signals when viewed from a distance like that of an oncoming car. I've heard that's an issue if the LEDs are too close to the turn signals.
I would look into LED bulbs for the turn signals as well. They're usually brighter than incandescent bulbs. Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #13838
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA View Post
That was a concern when I did the install, I originally was going to put them on the crash bars, but felt that was even closer to the signals. I have the LED lights on a dimmer and run them most of the time at 40-50 percent. Most of my riding companions comment on how bright they are, and I believe they have helped with cagers seeing me as well. I have looked at them with the blinker on from about 30-50 ft. and I can still see the blinker. Are they a little close? yes, but it's all a compromise.
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #13839
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Jumping right in...

I had debated on where to make my first post and figured this would be the best place as I just brought home a "new to me" 89 TA. My name is Eric and I have been building and riding bikes for the better part of my life, however, dual sport and off road were always something I imagined but for some reason never took the plunge.

First off, thank you to the few folks who have been kind enough to chat with me via PM's. For a new guy on the site with zero posts to date, I am impressed with the hospitality shown (Ray a big thanks to you as your input was used today during the PPI before the bike was loaded in my truck).

I am about 1/3 of the way through this thread and hope to be done before Thanksgiving. Based on the accumulated knowledge from all of you, I have amassed about 124 pages of notes on technical, modification, and useful notes so far and my plan is to photo document the process.

What are my plans? Something of a blend of the TA and AT conversion along with upgrading and refreshing of pieces parts as needed and to bring my TA up to the level of a "new" bike able to do multiple thousand mile plus rides as well as playing here in the PNW!

Here is a picture of her as she sat this morning when I got her:
Transalp
upload photos

I think one of the hardest parts of any bike build has got to the be learning what similar bikes hold parts that will fit your current project when you have an older bike. With that said, if you don't mind my asking...besides the XL600 and Hawk, what "new" parts will fit the TA platform?

If any of you are in the Tri Cities area of Washington or passing through, let me know I am always willing to buy someone a beer and spend some time laughing over bikes and rides.

Dr E screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 06:51 AM
Dr E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #13840
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924

Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #13841
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 506
[QUOTE=Dr E;19987132]I

:

QUOTE]

Hi Dr E

Welcome and congratulations on buying imho, the best ADVbike around..looks a good buy.

What make is the seat cover, is it comfortable / worthwhile?

Cheers
Potski
Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #13842
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post

Hi Dr E

Welcome and congratulations on buying imho, the best ADVbike around..looks a good buy.

What make is the seat cover, is it comfortable / worthwhile?

Cheers
Potski
Good morning Potski,

It is a padded seat cover that is riding on top of the Corbin seat. It is very comfortable to sit on and I may include it into the recovered seat when I get to the upholstery work of this project. If I can find a name on it I will post it up!

Eric
Old 11-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #13843
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
Good morning Potski,

It is a padded seat cover that is riding on top of the Corbin seat. It is very comfortable to sit on and I may include it into the recovered seat when I get to the upholstery work of this project. If I can find a name on it I will post it up!

Eric
Looks suspiciously like the ATV seat from Walmart that gets touted quite often.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #13844
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,918
That's what I was thinking, Stetson or Sterns brand I think then later re-labeled Walmart or maybe left plan with no brand?.

I tried one once for one ride, that was enough, not enough natural padding on me I guess, I felt the channels.

mas335 screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 04:49 AM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #13845
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Been looking at upgrading the front suspension a bit. Comparing the progressive springs (~$100) to the intiminators (~$200). What do you guys think makes the most difference / is the best investment for trail riding considering the relatively cheap price of each. If the Ricors are that much better, maybe I'll just go straight to those instead of going with the springs only to want the ricors after all if they perform better.

Thanks.

BW

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote