User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #14296
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,852
Thumb Finally !!

After many years on this thread, someone finally came along and put in the effort to actually ORGANIZE it

My gratitude and the gratitude of TA owners everywhere goes to you, DR.E

It is fitting, is it not, that it took a Nuclear Science guy to finally grab this thread by the neck and shake it hard enough to get it into some form that can actually be of use?

So....Allow me to be the first to use it as a reference

.....ahem......

Wanna know about TA carbs?

Go here: :https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwYQ...it?usp=sharing

Look under "C"

Goodness, that was so easy I'm laughing in my coffee

Now we all must send a PM to Baldy and petition to get him to add this as a "sticky" to the TA thread.

On the downside, I just burned down my old printer trying to get a hard copy of this thing.....
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #14297
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,634
Thank you Dr E nicely done

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #14298
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
^^^^^^

What these two guys said.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #14299
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Thank you guys...but again the real thanks goes to everyone who has taken the time to post up so much data! My big hope is that in the next version we can recover many of the lost photos when the server change occurred a few years ago and some really top notch threads just became a wall of words...good words...but when your being told to go look at something that is not there.

Also, I was asked a question about the links in the paper. I have tested them from a remote system by downloading the document and then using the following to open them up: Hold the "CTRL" button down and double click the link. As long as the webpage that holds that link exists, you should be taken right to the data.

Ray, I will pitch in a few bucks to help buy you a new printer!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #14300
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Excellent job Eric, thanks for scouring the thread and pulling everything together.

R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #14301
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
After many months of working on this document form months along with the help of some very dedicated individuals here who both offered words of wisdom and many hours of their time acting as peer reviewers, I have posted the first edition of:

Honda TRANSALP: A Compendium of Thoughts and Ideas

I would recommend downloading the .pdf as it is 411 pages in length. Here is the thread where I have posted it so there will be a reference point later on: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post20767513 as things tend to get buried in our monster thread.

However, here is the direct link to the paper:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwYQ...it?usp=sharing

Cheers,

Eric
I am genuinely amazed at the work you have put into this project. As I scrolled past page 100, I realised that I was not half way through your opus.
Congratulations, and THANK YOU for your outstanding effort.
Having a rescource document like this means that I can never sell my TA now (not that I intended to).

Tim
Old 02-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #14302
old2wheeler
Former nÔÔb

Oddometer: 720
Wow!

My sincere thanks to each contributor and to Dr E for an amazing undertaking!!
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #14303
gkam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thank you Eric!

Great job!

gkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #14304
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,777
Thank You!!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of the time and effort it took to pull this off. Things like this will keep our beloved TAs around for a very long time.

Bob
Old 02-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #14305
dgeezer
Feral Wanderer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks.

Thanks a whole bunch.

dgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #14306
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
My deepest respect and gratitude for all that hard work and effort putting that info together, Dr.E & contributors.

It's amazing to see that this Tread alone has over 3 million views! . Yes, having a well put together data source will certainly take this to the next level. Awesome!!!

After surviving cancer (almost 5 years clean now)... I switched gears and have immersed myself in homeschooling my children so... it was a lovely surprise to get an email from Ray informing me of this. Really makes me still feel connected to our brotherhood. I tend to be out of the loops of the world these days... let alone moto related. Hearing this really made my day.

Actually, and you'd been right Ray, I did get a little choked up

Ride safe brothers... keep the faith alive!
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #14307
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,421
Michael: Good to know from you! Even better, to know you are cancer free, that really made my day!

Definitely, it was the best thing that ever happened to the Transalp! This thread and the compilation made by Dr.E, will guarantee that this bike will stay for a long time! A Hall-of-Famer indeed!

Definitivamente esto ha sido lo mejor que le ha pasado a la Transalp! Este foro y la recopilación realizada por Dr. E, garantizará la permanencia de la moto por muchos años! Miembro del Salón de la Fama, por supuesto!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian

locorider screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 05:19 PM
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #14308
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Took a quick look, first impression is that pdf is made by just searching for few user's posts in TA thread, not actually reading whole thread. :) Non US TA mods seems to be ignored mostly. As result, quite a few mistakes or wrong info is sneaked into this document as not all replays and comments to some info included in pdf is read and added/corrected.

Though, I appreciate your your work, but still I expected better result. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
Thank you guys...but again the real thanks goes to everyone who has taken the time to post up so much data! My big hope is that in the next version we can recover many of the lost photos when the server change occurred a few years ago and some really top notch threads just became a wall of words...good words...but when your being told to go look at something that is not there.

Also, I was asked a question about the links in the paper. I have tested them from a remote system by downloading the document and then using the following to open them up: Hold the "CTRL" button down and double click the link. As long as the webpage that holds that link exists, you should be taken right to the data.

Ray, I will pitch in a few bucks to help buy you a new printer!
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #14309
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Good morning Ravely,

Thank you for your comments. I would however encourage you to take the time to dig a little deeper as you will be pleased to find that on page 7 and 8 the following are clearly stated:

"I chose to focus on specific areas I was going to work on: suspension upgrades, tuning, carburetors, body work, some aspects referenced with the TRANSALP to Africa Twin conversion as well as work-a-rounds.

Every paper has to have a starting point and for me it started with these areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv View Post
Non US TA mods seems to be ignored mostly.

From page 8:

NOTE: While globally the TRANSALP production ran for many years, it had only a limited run in the United States and because of this; the focus of this document is primarily geared towards the 1987 to 1990 U. S. version of the TRANSALP."

Your point is well taken, we on ADVRider are a global community and to say the TA is limited to a few years would be a disservice. The problem is however, we in the United States are not fortunate enough to see, let alone ride the wonderfully newer versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv View Post
Though, I appreciate your your work, but still I expected better result.

If you reference page 10:

"***UPDATES: This paper is not static, if you would like to add a section, image or other information to this paper, please send me a message and I will be happy to post your data into the document. At present I do not have a scheduled time frame when I will update the paper. More then likely it will be on either a quarterly or bi-annual basis."

This paper has never been about editing other people’s works or attempting to alter what has been said. This paper is is about gathering common pieces of advice people have collected, spoken about and written in this thread over the last nine years.

It sounds like you have a lot of passion in your comments and I would challenge you to help with this paper. If you would be willing to take on gathering information on the Non-US models and submit that, a whole new section to the paper can be added. It would be fantastic to capture the same sort of data on newer bikes.

If on the other hand you would like to add filler sections along with any pictures you may have that would be super as well. In the end it’s all about our unique bike.

Take care,

Eric

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #14310
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,866
I'm glad I held my comments until a real diplomat arrived.