Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #14326
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman in Canada View Post
Indeed!!
As nothing more than a lurker here I am amazed at the effort that people put into this thread.I have downloaded the pdf and am sure it will be of more value to me than the shop manual.
Thanks
we are all lurkers, some just more regular and more obvious than others.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #14327
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 364
Thumb Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
After many months of working on this document form months along with the help of some very dedicated individuals here who both offered words of wisdom and many hours of their time acting as peer reviewers, I have posted the first edition of:

Honda TRANSALP: A Compendium of Thoughts and Ideas

I would recommend downloading the .pdf as it is 411 pages in length. Here is the thread where I have posted it so there will be a reference point later on: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post20767513 as things tend to get buried in our monster thread.

However, here is the direct link to the paper:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwYQ...it?usp=sharing

Cheers,

Eric

I am not sure how to do it but this should added to the bike specific index in the Beasts forum Excellent work
Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #14328
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
G'day DS,

At a rough guess, the TA650 shock is about 3~4 inches (75 - 100mm) shorter than the TA600 shocks.
Ladder is correct in suggesting the linkage design is different. The TA600 has an 'under slung' Pro Link. The TA650 is 'over slung' - ie, mounted on the top of the swing arm.
I would suspect that the nitrogen bladder casting on the TA650 shock would also foul on the TA600 frame.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Storm View Post
Does anyone know if a 650 shock will fit a 600?

The 600 is a later model ('98), so not sure if shock spec/dimensions differ from earlier bikes sold in US
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #14329
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan View Post
G'day DS,

At a rough guess, the TA650 shock is about 3~4 inches (75 - 100mm) shorter than the TA600 shocks.
Ladder is correct in suggesting the linkage design is different. The TA600 has an 'under slung' Pro Link. The TA650 is 'over slung' - ie, mounted on the top of the swing arm.
I would suspect that the nitrogen bladder casting on the TA650 shock would also foul on the TA600 frame.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan.
Dan,

Thanks for that bit of information, that is quite a bit of size change. This makes me glad I didn't consider trying to purchase one of these for my build.

I will post up some comparison of the Hyperpro shock to the others I have and the one I am having built. I tried the 250 shock and liked the height, but found the weight of the bike was too much. That shock was 40mm longer than the stock 600 shock, so that is what I asked Hyperpro to do with the new one. It will be the "stock" shock style, 40mm longer and 4 inches of travel.

Eric
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #14330
Flinthillsflyer
Humble Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Valve cover gasket

I haven't seen a definitive answer yet to a problem I have. Can the rear valve cover gasket be changed without dropping the motor out, or can the small brace above it that spans the upper frame members be removed This is on a '89 Transalp. i appreciate any help and or advice in advance!!
Flinthillsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #14331
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinthillsflyer View Post
I haven't seen a definitive answer yet to a problem I have. Can the rear valve cover gasket be changed without dropping the motor out, or can the small brace above it that spans the upper frame members be removed This is on a '89 Transalp. i appreciate any help and or advice in advance!!
Searched "valve cover" .... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10690 Thanks goes to mas335.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #14332
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Pissed Old Habits Die Hard

You Guys are Killin Me......

Fer CryinOutLoud !! After all Dr E's work, you search the thread.....seriously???

Just go here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwYQ...it?usp=sharing
Look under "V" page 178.

It's so easy, it makes me smile every time I do this.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 07:43 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #14333
danyila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Transalp 650 engine warming

0 min

3 min

10 min

19 min

22 min
danyila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #14334
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post

Fer CryinOutLoud !! After all Dr E's work, you search the thread.....seriously???

Just go here:XXX

Look under "V" page 178.

Ray, I think the link you posted was the first document we were editing. I deleted that for the final version:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwYQ...it?usp=sharing

Eric
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #14335
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Just go here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwYQ...it?usp=sharing

Look under "V" page 178.

Yup, thought about that....but....if we use Eric's great condensed, outline version for every thing, or most things... we lose a lot of the "interesting" personal interactions and that pretty much kills the thread. And I AM OLD and really stuck in my ways, besides then I wouldn't have anything to do.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #14336
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
.if we use Eric's great condensed, outline version for every thing, or most things... we lose a lot of the "interesting" personal interactions and that pretty much kills the thread
I know.....doing both types of searches is really best. But if you're a new guy and want info fast and are not familiar with the....uhm...."colorful" personalities here, you might get the wrong idea.

It does save us from writing the same explanation over again whenever someone asks and I don't think we could ever suck the life out of the thread by providing easily access information.

On the whole....I just couldn't resist having you on a bit for doing it the old way. I figured you'd not take it the wrong way so "thanks" for being nice.

Eric,

Edited my post to reflect the current URL....sorry

Ladder106 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 08:02 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #14337
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I know.....doing both types of searches is really best. But if you're a new guy and want info fast and are not familiar with the....uhm...."colorful" personalities here, you might get the wrong idea.

It does save us from writing the same explanation over again whenever someone asks and I don't think we could ever suck the life out of the thread by providing easily access information.

On the whole....I just couldn't resist having you on a bit for doing it the old way. I figured you'd not take it the wrong way so "thanks" for being nice.

Eric,

Edited my post to reflect the current URL....sorry

So, is there a way to let the new guys know how/where to look to find Eric's Compendium without posting the link to every question that comes up. Ten pages later, how do people know to look there for information. Maybe put the link at the top/bottom of every page.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 01:15 PM
Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #14338
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post

So, is there a way to let the new guys know how/where to look to find Eric's Compendium without posting the link to every question that comes up. Ten pages later, how do people know to look there for information. Maybe put the link at the top/bottom of every page.
Here is the main thread I created for the paper:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864605

Where I was hoping we could get it posted what here:

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/

But I don't know who to contact? I have tried contacting Baldy but I fear my PM may have been buried in the scores of others that he gets. Anybody with a idea let me know.

Eric
Old 02-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #14339
Flinthillsflyer
Humble Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
thanks 2bold2getold!! I missed that on my search earlier. Appreciate the heads up!
Flinthillsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #14340
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I'm glad I held my comments until a real diplomat arrived.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote