User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #14371
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,766
Tried searching here but ugh!

Broke a clutch lever on my 87 600 today.

This model was never sold here.

Anyone tell me what other Hondas the clutch and brake levers were fitted to?

Anyone know of short levers that fit?

Thanks.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #14372
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Storm View Post
I have seen reference on here and other sites, to a difference in quoted power output of the 600 engine that suggests for a couple of model years (around 89-90, I think) the output increased to 55hp, from the 50hp of the earliest US and also the later euro variants.

A 10% increase in power output. Quite a lot.

First question: can anyone verify the 55hp as fact, or was it perhaps a touch of ‘optimism’ in a brochure or magazine article somewhere that now gets endlessly recycled as fact.

Second question: if it is true, does anyone have any idea why? Before I spend days poring over online parts fiches looking for differences in cams, valves, heads, carburetion, ignition, exhaust etc etc etc does anyone know what the differences may have been in the engines in the years concerned?
At least here in Germany every 600 had not more than 50hp. The later 650 had 53hp.
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #14373
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,861
Here's a pretty comprehensive look at Hondas changes through the early model years.

http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/mods.html

There's almost nothing you can do to really pull a lot more power from the standard TA short of spending a lot of time and money. It's just not that kind of engine. There are intake restrictions that must be overcome. Simple exhaust mods do almost nothing with the exception of removing some weight.

The only guy here that has a monster TA that I'm aware of is Santa. He did this by plugging in a hot-rodded version of the NT650 Hawk engine. His build is documented in past threads here and he's posted up a few recent photos.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 08:02 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #14374
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Cool2 More searching creativity, please.

For 87 Australian model parts look here:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl600v-tr...527/partslist/

It would appear that a TA was available in OZ in 1987.

Clutch lever part no. is: 53178MG7003

Later model TA part no. for USA model TA is: 53178MG7003.

This would lead me to believe that all TAs are using the same clutch lever. Should be easy to find or order.

If you're not running some sort of lever protection, buy 2.

If you're traveling its smart to buy 2 anyway unless you like stalling at every intersection in BFE.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #14375
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Here's a pretty comprehensive look at Hondas changes through the early model years.

http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/mods.html

There's almost nothing you can do to really pull a lot more power from the standard TA short of spending a lot of time and money. It's just not that kind of engine. There are intake restrictions that must be overcome. Simple exhaust mods do almost nothing with the exception of removing some weight.

The only guy here that has a monster TA that I'm aware of is Santa. He did this by plugging in a hot-rodded version of the NT650 Hawk engine. His build is documented in past threads here and he's posted up a few recent photos.
Thanks Ladder106. Should have said that I understand the limitations involved in trying to extract more power, and in any case in my (not entirely expert) experience 'tuning' can often detract in some way from the sweet nature of the standard motor.

But if there really is one standard spec that puts out 50hp and another that puts out 55hp, then I'd like that one, please!

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #14376
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
But if there really is one standard spec that puts out 50hp and another that puts out 55hp, then I'd like that one, please!
I understand that well enough. I've not really heard of any standard TA having more power than others.

And really.....you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference unless the bikes were ridden side by side. Even then, you'd like only see some separation in the upper speed ranges.

If you're thinking of buying one, don't let 5 hp stop you.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #14377
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,636
Wait for it............

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #14378
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I think you're a few mm off, mate
Old 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #14379
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
For 87 Australian model parts look here:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl600v-tr...527/partslist/

It would appear that a TA was available in OZ in 1987.

Clutch lever part no. is: 53178MG7003

Later model TA part no. for USA model TA is: 53178MG7003.

This would lead me to believe that all TAs are using the same clutch lever. Should be easy to find or order.

If you're not running some sort of lever protection, buy 2.

If you're traveling its smart to buy 2 anyway unless you like stalling at every intersection in BFE.
Thanks Ladder. I have been to the Honda shops here and they cannot find my bike on their parts list and show no interest in trying to match up parts with other models. I have to buy air filters etc from overseas.

My bike is an import from Japan in 2004 though this seemed to make no difference to the spare parts people. I will be buying spares for both sides.

I bought a set of Barkbusters for the Transalp and oem bars and they hit the screen before full lock, doesn't matter how I adjust the bars so that they are still comfortable to use.

xronly
Old 03-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #14380
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
I think you're a few mm off, mate

Wait for it Ray Wait...

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #14381
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
I have placed an aux fuel tank in the Flea Market.
It has an adaptor plate for use with TA.

I too have been upgrading.
Britannia Composites fairing installed.
I also went with the Acerbis supermoto fender to get a more modern look
I'll get a few better pics when I get home.

Very nice!

Is that the Lynx fairing? How did it bolt up? Any mods required to make it fit?

Cheers
R_Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #14382
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Thanks Ladder. I have been to the Honda shops here and they cannot find my bike on their parts list and show no interest in trying to match up parts with other models. I have to buy air filters etc from overseas.

My bike is an import from Japan in 2004 though this seemed to make no difference to the spare parts people. I will be buying spares for both sides.

I bought a set of Barkbusters for the Transalp and oem bars and they hit the screen before full lock, doesn't matter how I adjust the bars so that they are still comfortable to use.

G'day Cruz,

The TransAlp was sold in Australia from '87 - '88. I've a Australian Compliance version of each. The stocker I'm slowly assembling is an '87 model. My modded ride is the '88 version.

Clutch Lever is: 53178-MG7-003 (correct per Ray's reply);
Brake Lever: 53175-MM9-006.

These numbers should be on Honda Australia's system, as I bought one of each lever several years ago. Not sure if they're still available.

Possibly the reason they cannot find parts listings for the early TransAlp is that they need to look on a Microfiche. If they're a Honda dealer - they should know that. If there is some 'young know all' behind the counter (apologies for the generalisation..), then I'd suggest either they don't know how to operate a microfiche reader or they cannot be bothered. Either way, if they don't pick up their act - make a complaint to Honda in Melbourne.

Some years ago I bought a copy of the microfiche and had it scanned and put onto a CD-ROM. This was done in Sydney for a small fortune. PM me your address if you would like me to mail you a copy. Then you can just go in to the shop and tell them the numbers or quote the numbers over the phone. Saves everyone time - most importantly yourself .
I'd recommend printing out the manual & putting into a folder.

Occassionally you may find they advise "sorry that number doesn't work". I then take the manual in and stick it in their face and say - "why not, here it is in the Honda manual". I've got the local dealer trained. I went to order a new Main Harness for the stock build up. I got the 'sorry, that number doesn't work story'. I took the manual in and suggested that they contact Honda Melbourne to see what's going on. After about 1/2hr standing there, they got off the phone and advised that Honda would recognise the number - just had never had one ordered in Australia, ever - so it was never originally put on the parts system. About 2 weeks later the harness arrived from Japan to the dealer.

Anyway, just don't put up with any crap service. If they can't get motivated to help - elevate it with a complaint to Honda.

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #14383
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Thanks Dan. Yes, the said spare parts person each time did happen to be a younger variety. I am also wondering if it caused problems as they asked for the ID number off of the bike to search with? Being an imported Jap model may have returned nothing.

The one I spoke to today and showed on my IPad the link from Ladder was my age and showed a bit more interest and came back about ten minutes later with two clutch levers and a front brake lever of MCS brand, all up cost was $30 for the three.

I will grab a copy off of you and PM sent.

Thanks everyone.

xronly
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #14384
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,400
Yes, that is the Lynx fairing.
It fit pretty well although I had to fab an upper bracket as I have different upper triple.
So far I am very happy although it was expensive.
Good wind protection, a largish dash that fits my GPS, ICO and acouple of other parts.
The lamps are Hella brand with HID projector low beam and Halogen high beam.

I wanted to ask if anyone has recomendations for rad shrouds and maybe pics?
I see that UFO sells the 89 CR 125 shroud in the US.
Anybody have a pic of them on a TA?
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #14385
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Fastest TA sale yet?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869121
AppFan is online now   Reply With Quote