Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #14581
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
Can it be replicated on a lathe?
I would think so. If you can find the correct threaded bolt, a good drill press along with a rat tail file should be all you need to make a new bolt

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #14582
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
Give my friend Rick a call at.....motocd.com.....he can help and you may not have to save as much.
I use a Moab shock on my TA, works very well..........
Thanks. I'll check it out.
happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #14583
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Carb Question

So I pulled the carbs to check float levels and install #40 idle jets. Putting everything back on I realized that I can't remember what these two brass nipples near the intake of each carb are for. Is there supposed to be a vent tube for these? I don't seem to have any tubes left over so I don't know if I lost something or if they were missing.
You never can take enough pictures the first time you do a job like this!
Here is a picture showing the two exposed brass barbs:

JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #14584
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Those are your vent lines here is a close up of what tubes you should be looking for:

Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #14585
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
So I pulled the carbs to check float levels and install #40 idle jets. Putting everything back on I realized that I can't remember what these two brass nipples near the intake of each carb are for. Is there supposed to be a vent tube for these? I don't seem to have any tubes left over so I don't know if I lost something or if they were missing.
You never can take enough pictures the first time you do a job like this!
Here is a picture showing the two exposed brass barbs:

Well, just looked thru my 89 shop manual and can't seem to find it. Suppose to have an emission hose routing diagram behind the left side panel. Try looking there.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #14586
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
Those are your vent lines here is a close up of what tubes you should be looking for:

Hmm your picture's not coming through. If it is just a vent hose then I'll replace them. I think they were missing before I started this.
Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Well I see your picture now. Thanks again!
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #14587
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I've seen a few Transalp here with high mounted front fenders. Can you guys provide some detailed pictures or recommendations on how to mount a fender there? Looking at the Transalp front it seems that it's not possible without cheating a bit.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #14588
dani_d
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani_d View Post
Hello!

I own two TA's and both of them developed weird sounds
Sorted it out: on both bikes, the rear tensioners make noise and the rear exhaust valve makes the clicking sound.

- the tensioner of the rear cylinder makes noise, even though the tension on the chain is adequate and the tensioner locks into place. I cannot understand why...
I increased the tension by manually pushing the blade down as much as I could, and the noise goes away. This however is not a solution because it overloads the camshaft journals.

- the rear exhaust valve makes the clicking sound, although it is set to specs (0.1mm for the '88 and 0.2mm for the '91). On the '91 TA, the adjustment screw and the valve have a trace of pitting (that's why it's so loud on the recording). The '88 is fine, no pitting, just a small clicking noise. The rear camshafts of both bikes look OK.
dani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #14589
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Turn your motor over slowly. I had a XR motor that ticked, closer to knocked, and couldn't figure it out. The cam chain had a kink (bind) in it and when it left the lower sprocket would stay bent then snap straight. I found the kink when assembling it for the 3rd time looking for the culprit.

Just a thought

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #14590
bartender
Jack of all trades

Oddometer: 83
Just out of curiosity, has anyone attempted/considered swapping out the radiators on a 600 for something smaller? The 600 isn't a highly tuned engine, so overheating in general shouldn't be an issue, plus the 600 should get some cooling benefits from the cooling fins on the engine. I'm coming from a mostly air-cooled background, so all of this is just speculation on my part. It just seems like the current radiators seem like a bit overkill. Or I could be completely wrong.
bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #14591
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartender View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone attempted/considered swapping out the radiators on a 600 for something smaller? The 600 isn't a highly tuned engine, so overheating in general shouldn't be an issue, plus the 600 should get some cooling benefits from the cooling fins on the engine. I'm coming from a mostly air-cooled background, so all of this is just speculation on my part. It just seems like the current radiators seem like a bit overkill. Or I could be completely wrong.
I have to agree. From my observations at idle speed my '96 TA runs considerably cooler than my Africa Twin. I'm sure you could get away with a smaller system...providing your climate is not too hot and your not racing in the desert.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #14592
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,892
Transalps are prone to run pretty hot under certain conditions, reducing the radiators is asking for trouble. Ever sit in slow traffic on a summer day with one? I would make sure your cooling fan and associated sensors are working right before summer gets here.

The cylinder fines are for looks only, if they help at all it is minor and surely not adequate to aid in much cooling.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #14593
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Transalps are prone to run pretty hot under certain conditions, reducing the radiators is asking for trouble. Ever sit in slow traffic on a summer day with one? I would make sure your cooling fan and associated sensors are working right before summer gets here.

The cylinder fines are for looks only, if they help at all it is minor and surely not adequate to aid in much cooling.
I'm sure your bang on with your comment...but I would think it's all somewhat relevent to the ambient temps and if your keeping it 'moving' or not...obviously.
Could someone build a one of modified 600v with a smaller cooling system and get away with it....quite possibly? It would have to be a good engine already and not too stressed and tired.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #14594
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
I'm sure your bang on with your comment...but I would think it's all somewhat relevent to the ambient temps and if your keeping it 'moving' or not...obviously.
Could someone build a one of modified 600v with a smaller cooling system and get away with it....quite possibly? It would have to be a good engine already and not too stressed and tired.

Well you are right about the ambient temperatures and I doubt
you have much of a problem being in Canada. Movement is the real key to keeping them cooled off and the fairings and radiator guards sure don't help with letting air pass over the radiators.

I hooked up a over ride switch so I can turn on the fan before the temp needle climbs to the red zone. Off road these bikes heat up really fast, anybody who was had them off road probably noticed this.

Here in NC with our 90+ summer days just sitting at a big intersection with long wait times for the light to change is enough for the gauge needle to climb fast.

If Honda thought they could get away with a smaller cooling system they would have. I think most of us would like to have a fan on the left radiator as well.

Part of the cooling challenge is that the rear cylinder runs hotter than the front just because it sits behind the front cylinder.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #14595
db-89
hole digger

Oddometer: 11
my freshly vinyl'd 400 alp

and my 600 alp

and my lid

db-89 is offline   Reply With Quote