ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #2251
spidermann
nutcase

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
www.aedmotorsport.com
They have all kinds, sizes, and alloys. They will sell you 3'or 300'. They are quick to ship it too.
Ah, very good. What diameter/thickness tubing did you use? In the past I've bought some from a local wholesale supply dealer but he's reluctant to sell to the general public and he just acts like a real dick. Very hard for me to deal with him. I'm glad to find another source. Thanks.
82 Rokon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ljnErAjI
spidermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #2252
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermann View Post
I've only got about 60 miles or so on The Terra so far and the jury is still out on it. Some things I like very much but I have a long way to go to get it set up right for me. I've got some goodies on order and we'll see how it all comes together. I haven't decided yet if I'll take it on the SBR or just use the trusty old KLR.
Other than personal set up I think the Terra needs more gas on board, a good set of tires, a skid plate and some crash bars to protect the radiator. I am waiting on SW-Motech crash bars and skid plate.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #2253
spidermann
nutcase

Sounds like we're about at the same stage William. I'm waiting on crash bars and a skid plate too. I put on hand guards and replaced the shift lever a couple of days ago. Currently working on a fuze block install. Speaking of additional fuel, I really like that aux tank that Gary made for his BMW. Seems like if the husky could work with a single exhaust then a tank like Gary's could fit nicely in place of the other muffler. Ah, but I'm thinking way ahead.
I went for a spin and just came home for lunch. Got a little over a hunert miles on her now. Gotta go back out again and get some more.
Hope to see you on down the road, and for what it's worth, I don't care much for mud either!
Jeff
82 Rokon
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #2254
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like we're about at the same stage William. I'm waiting on crash bars and a skid plate too. I put on hand guards and replaced the shift lever a couple of days ago. Currently working on a fuze block install. Speaking of additional fuel, I really like that aux tank that Gary made for his BMW. Seems like if the husky could work with a single exhaust then a tank like Gary's could fit nicely in place of the other muffler. Ah, but I'm thinking way ahead.
I went for a spin and just came home for lunch. Got a little over a hunert miles on her now. Gotta go back out again and get some more.
Hope to see you on down the road, and for what it's worth, I don't care much for mud either!
Jeff
After looking at what Gary is doing for his Alaska trip I went with a Roto-Pax one gallon container on a Touratech rear rack. That should work until Safari Fuel Tanks come out with their 25L fuel tank.

I got lazy and used an Eastern Beaver 3 circuit fuse block to wire the Terra. He makes good stuff.

What shift lever do you go with?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #2255
z987k OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
After looking at what Gary is doing for his Alaska trip I went with a Roto-Pax one gallon container on a Touratech rear rack. That should work until Safari Fuel Tanks come out with their 25L fuel tank.

I got lazy and used an Eastern Beaver 3 circuit fuse block to wire the Terra. He makes good stuff.

Are you coming up to Alaska?
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #2256
RRP13
Kinda superbikey

Oddometer: 138
Hello all. Have even actively reading posts of the last year or so and find that some of you are not too far away from me.

I have been riding for 25 years, did tons of touring (Conours owner for years), got into road racing back in 2004 til now (still racing) and got off the street.

Picked up a XR 400 and was able to get it street titled/plated and I think I have discovered the next chapter in riding for me. I am really enjoying buzzing around the backroads near me in Salem IL (Marion, Fayette, Clinton Co so far).

Trying to deck out the XR a bit without going totally stupid just yet. Conti TKC80s, rear rack, bark busters and skid plate for now.

Just trying to have fun with it, which I am.
SV650 (and then there was one.) - road racer
GSXR750 - oiler project
RRP13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #2257
spidermann
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post

I had ordered a Centech AP-2 fuse block because it offered a lot of circuits, both switched and unswitched, actually much more than I need. Unfortunately I found no place to mount the darn thing, just not enough room under the seat even after removing the tool kit. I think that Eastern Beaver 3 looks like a good option and I believe I'll order one. Looks like there should be various mounting options with that one. I'll control it with a relay and then run a separate unswitched circuit with fuse for GPS and charger. Thanks for the idea.

I went with the IMS folding shifter made for a Yamaha. It sticks out a little further than stock but I think it will work out OK. A 15 tooth counter sprocket from Tourtech showed up in the big brown truck today. :) I probably won't put it on for a while but I'm looking forward to a shorter 1st gear.

I agree that Roto-Pax option looks like the best thing out there right now and I'm tempted to order it but I don't have any rides planned right now that would require the extra miles so I should probably hold off on that for a while. I'll have to check out that rear rack from Tourtech. Does it simply attach to the existing rack or does it have replacement brackets? I would like to stay with the stock rack if I can but I just don't know if it has the strength and surface area that I'll need.

It's a lot of work to get a new bike set up right but I guess that's supposed to be part of the fun, huh?
82 Rokon
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #2258
spidermann
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP13 View Post
Hello all. Have even actively reading posts of the last year or so and find that some of you are not too far away from me.

I have been riding for 25 years, did tons of touring (Conours owner for years), got into road racing back in 2004 til now (still racing) and got off the street.

Picked up a XR 400 and was able to get it street titled/plated and I think I have discovered the next chapter in riding for me. I am really enjoying buzzing around the backroads near me in Salem IL (Marion, Fayette, Clinton Co so far).

Trying to deck out the XR a bit without going totally stupid just yet. Conti TKC80s, rear rack, bark busters and skid plate for now.

Just trying to have fun with it, which I am.
Welcome Mark. I had a couple of Connies myself and got a lot of smiles from them. I'll bet that XR is a blast to ride.
82 Rokon
Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #2259
RRP13
Kinda superbikey

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Welcome Mark. I had a couple of Connies myself and got a lot of smiles from them. I'll bet that XR is a blast to ride.
Thanks Jeff! Yep the XR is a hoot. Nothing this slow and underpowered should be this much fun
SV650 (and then there was one.) - road racer
GSXR750 - oiler project
RRP13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #2260
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
Are you coming up to Alaska?
Not this year.

Are you up there now?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #2261
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
Fuses, switches, racks, cargo? Just get on the damn thing, push the button and ride it like you stole it.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #2262
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Any listings of off road trails in IL?
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #2263
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
Fuses, switches, racks, cargo? Just get on the damn thing, push the button and ride it like you stole it.
Nobody asked for your opinion.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #2264
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
950SE riders got it going on.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21075659&postcount=4679

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #2265
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
You know? There is something soooo right about that picture.
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
*2014 Ural Patrol
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote