ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #2491
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
I don't think you should be wheelying that DR350. That can't be good for it.
Frequent prolonged wheelies are a great way to reduce front tire wear!
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #2492
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Oddometer: 531
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum (err Moonshine)

So, I decided that Labor Day weekend would be a good time to check out bigdog's Moonshine to Bottom's Up track. Looked like a lot of fun and the start was only about 2hrs south of home. Great! Ride, camp, hike, perfect stuff!

Right before I left, the key-on 12v socket was going nuts and blew a fuse. Not wanting to delay my departure any longer I ditched the 12v charger I had wired up, swapped in a new fuse and hit the road. You might be able to see where this is going...

After accidentally riding past Moonshine (was very hungry but didn't realize I had passed it and didn't want to double back. D'oh!) I rode a while longer and eventually stopped as my speedo wasn't displaying anything. Hmm... I pull over in a nice little area to take a look:

I check the fuses and they don't look blown. Oh wait.. one of the fuses looks to have melted... into the fuse holder... Uhhh... So I pull out what's left of it.

And I take a look at the wiring going to the fuses. Ah crap.

Further carnage:

And more:

The damage was not limited to the harness, the left-hand switchgear was all roasted too, but my phone died before I could get photos of it.

So, I'm in the middle of nowhere with a dead phone and GPS in the summer heat. Luckily, I brought along a roll of electrical tape and my trusty Leatherman. A few hours of cursing and taping later, I had hacked together enough of the harness to get everything going except the turn signals and the rear light, but had the brake light going. Also, a very kind fellow let me charge my phone in his house down the road while I worked on the husky, even coming back to check on me and see if I needed any water. Great people in the country.

So, I'm back in business but it's getting dark. I call around a few places looking to camp for the night and get nowhere as either the prices/attitudes were horrible or they had no trees onsite. The lack of trees would make sleeping in my hammock a trifle difficult. Also, there was a big storm a-brewin.

So, I decide to turn and burn north to Casey, IL as it's the biggest town in the area to try and find a place with a roof for the night. All I can see in front of me is constant lightning and feel the shifting winds buffeting me around. I pull into the carport thing of the hotel, and as I'm walking in all hell breaks loose.

However, they want 100 bucks minimum a room, what with the popcorn festival going on. Pass.

I wait out the storm, and say "to hell with this!" and decide to drive the 90 minutes or so to a comfy bed and several beers after this long day.

As I was packing up, an older fellow pulls up to the hotel with a TE449 in the bed of his truck. After chatting each other up about how great huskies are, I set off into the now damp night.

Turns out, I got distracted while strapping down my dry bag and did not tie up the loose end of one of the straps.

I'm riding through the night on rt49, doing a solid 65-70 on wet pavement when BAM I hear a loud noise, the rear wheel breaks loose for just a fraction of a second and the bike jerks. I keep it up without drama and pull over.

Amazingly, the strap broke right away when it got jammed in the rear wheel. Good thing I cheaped out and got the 400lb harbor freight ones, hah. Anything better would have locked up the wheel solid.

Cue more cursing as I realize I could have just killed myself AND the strap coming apart also tore off one of the mountings for my el-cheapo military surplus saddlebags.

Eventually, I make it home to good friends and cheap beer. Few hundred miles, the entire day, a possible catastrophic accident and a potential fire later and I was back.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #2493
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Wow, a bad gone worst, lucked out that that strap didn't take you out. So..............what on earth was drawing enough amps to toast the wiring?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #2494
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
Gamequeazy you sure know how to have fun.

Nice recovery.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #2495
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Wow, a bad gone worst, lucked out that that strap didn't take you out. So..............what on earth was drawing enough amps to toast the wiring?
Looking at it, it seems like I must have left the fuse holder floating around loose instead of clipping it back in, and it rattled around until one of the spring clips wedged into contact with the pre-fuse wire from the backside, drawing tons of current as the springclip is hooked to ground. That's my guess, anyway.

As of today I've re-done the front harness wiring as well as the left-hand controls and everything seems to be ok. Waiting on parts to fix my leaky countershaft seal and a coolant leak from a worn-though thermostat-to-radiators hose.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #2496
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 653
Unfinished Business

So today I decided to finish a ride that I started a little over a year ago. It wasn't a transcontinental ride, just a fun ride through Calhoun County. The problem is that it was interupted mid streem by poor judgement.
Remember this?

So today for the first time I returned to the scene of the crime

It looked a bit different than it did 14 months ago

So after a retrospective moment I continued on with the route that I had originally planned that day. As it turned out, I had outdid myself. The route turned out to be a real treat!
My stead was looking ever so fine:

Nice roads and a lonely cemetary

Waiting on the Ferry

Everybodys favorite tunnel

Cool Rock formation

one last water crossing

It was a great ride, and this time I made it back home on my own. As I recall, last time I had to ride with my wife all the way home while listening to her tell me how I needed to slow down.
So I slowed down, and completed the ride!
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #2497
William42
Beastly Adventurer

^^^
Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #2498
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Nice
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #2499
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Neat ride!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #2500
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I wish I had went. Next time!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #2501
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 56

Left early Sunday morning to parts unknown. Ended up taking US 36 east toward Indiana.

Had breakfast in Chisman then moved on to Parke County.

Had a ball checking out the bridges, mills and country roads.

I thought all that stuff was further east and south.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #2502
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Wicked Monticello Lunch Run, the Long way

Decided to run over to Monticello for a late lunch on Saturday using the sun and my sense of adventure for guidance. Although the Brownbag was closed by the time I got there, 3Ravens wasn't and a horseshoe hit the spot.

Decisions, decisions...

Hungry, but having a good time

Exploring (spoiler alert, path ends abruptly into a pond without much warning haha)

Anybody in the market for an old two-smoker?

Guessing which way to go on the way home

I was surprised how many times I was saying to myself "Wow, this is a surpisingly scenic and fun road!" so close to The Big Champeazy.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #2503
zhutch
n00b

Oddometer: 1
noob

Hey guys just thought I should introduce myself, I started riding last year and bought a 2013 wr250r a couple months ago. I'm based around Marion so farther south then most of you but if anybody wants to go exploring in the middle of nowhere send me a pm. Legendary Husky indeed Gamequeazy!

zhutch screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 10:20 AM
zhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #2504
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhutch View Post
Hey guys just thought I should introduce myself, I started riding last year and bought a 2013 wr250r a couple months ago. I'm based around Marion so farther south then most of you but if anybody wants to go exploring in the middle of nowhere send me a pm. Legendary Husky indeed Gamequeazy!
Welcome aboard. Lots of good riding near you, and good eating at GCSP! Come to the PHBR, and meet some of us. (Click on signature for link)
Old 09-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #2505
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Tuesday Breakfast Ride