ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #3841
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Oddometer: 768
Little clip from the badlands on sunday.

Some cursing in this one, and a stupid dumb moronic wreck at the end. I got spooked when the bike went sideways crossing the road and stopped looking at my line, then panicked when I saw the gully/ditch thing. First day real day on that bike, plus the front brake apparently doesn't work very well at all.

I'm ok though, helmet did it's job.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #3842
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
There were several wet areas but it was still a good ride
That sounds familiar

I agree with Squishy, looks like a nice ride and a nice ride!
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #3843
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
Rear tire is toast. You can actually hear the wear on those rocky power pull climbs at the ranch, but it's worth every penny IMO. Start in second, shift to third, fourth by the top with the front wheel 6 inches off the ground, whohoo!
BBF talking about hill wheelies? Of course I have something to say (small hill but still relevant )

mellephants screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 02:00 PM
Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #3844
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
Thanks for riding along. It's always more fun with a comrade at my side.
I keep singing this one at GQ on the after a great day of riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUqHEzgFRoA

mellephants screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 02:02 PM
Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #3845
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
Add rocks and ruts and we're talking!

2011 Loretta Lynn's GNCC Helmet Cam with Steven Squire from woodybepierced on Vimeo.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #3846
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

LL course looks great. I love the jumps in the fast woods sections, too

There were plentiful rocks and some roots as well on Sunday, but the pictured hill was a very mellow grippy easy hill. Good for gooning for the camera!

I even made an animated gif. Wow, so fancy!

The best part of yesterday for me was meeting and riding with a faster (B Heavy) XC racer. I am not too far off his pace, which was really exciting. His bike and truck are both just amazing ...

I uploaded a video from the end of the day yesterday. Just a medium-slow paced view of the current condition of the Badlands' MX track, for anyone curious. Clint wearing camera, I'm leading/following him. Skip the first minute to the riding, since this video is unedited http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l4_LrXe45I

mellephants screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 02:46 PM
Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #3847
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishymonster View Post
I was online last night trying to figure out which bridge I had been standing on parallel to Hwy 150 by Oakwood / Muncie (see previous photo). I came across this Illinois bridges GPX from BigDogAdventures. I imagine this has made the rounds here already, but since I couldn't locate it: http://www.bigdogadventures.com/1OldIllinoisBridges.htm

Now I think the road/bridge I was on was a railroad.

This uglybridges site includes a map with icons showing bridge status. http://uglybridges.com/il/vermilion/exhibit/

And this site, which I'm sure could lead to uncovering some fun routes: http://bridgehunter.com/il/
Nice finds. I like bridges.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #3848
Squishymonster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Riding Gear!

So... Olympia MotoQuest set arrived today from Revzilla and fits nicely. It was pretty painful on the pocket book but I think it'll be worth it in the long run. Now I'm ~pretty~ tempted to see how it holds up in this rain...

BTW you racer guys are nuts Looks like fun though. Watching those videos definitely makes me feel more like I ride a sofa.

Squishymonster screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 04:10 PM
Squishymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #3849
Chickengrease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Anybody else going to Roselawn, IN enduro Sunday? Usually a good four to five hours of single track. They run like the nationals now so you don't have to keep time, just go like hell to the next check and if you're fast enough you can take a break. It is AMA though, so you need a card.
Chickengrease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #3850
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Sounds interesting! We are doing the MWXC at Crawfordsville IN on Saturday. I dunno if my wallet, body, and calendar will permit doing both... but maybe
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #3851
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I rode a couple of enduros at Roselawn back in the late 70's. I was young and impressionable! Naked checks are something that every 16 year old should see.
It sucks that you don't have to do any timekeeping in enduros anymore. Anyone can twist a throttle and go fast, well almost anyone.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #3852
Squishymonster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Today's Ride

I ~had~ to get out on the KLR today and try out my new riding gear. I thought I'd try to track down an object that I "discovered" a few years back while geo-caching. I didn't think I would, but to my surprise my search was a success.

The photo is below, and I thought it would be fun to set up a photo tag for some of you Central / Eastern Illinois folk.

If we get stumped for too long on Part 1 I'll get a little more blatant with the hints

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post23898634
Squishymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #3853
mohegan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thumb Sand Booger/ Sand Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengrease View Post
Anybody else going to Roselawn, IN enduro Sunday? Usually a good four to five hours of single track. They run like the nationals now so you don't have to keep time, just go like hell to the next check and if you're fast enough you can take a break. It is AMA though, so you need a card.
My son and I will be there on our colorful Gas Gas units. With rain forcast for Thursday and nice temps Sunday should be the usual killer time. Just hope we miss the thunderstorms Sunday. Either way we'll be there (I'd rather ride wet sand than dry).
mohegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #3854
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Oddometer: 768
Since I'm racing Saturday, no better time to pull apart the YZ motor again... Where we're going we don't need head gaskets.

In other news, bye bye IT400, you'll be decorating someone else's overfilled garage from now on.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:29 AM   #3855
Chickengrease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohegan View Post
My son and I will be there on our colorful Gas Gas units. With rain forcast for Thursday and nice temps Sunday should be the usual killer time. Just hope we miss the thunderstorms Sunday. Either way we'll be there (I'd rather ride wet sand than dry).
I'll look out for you, and say Hey. Currently not sure what machine I'll be on, one of the WR gears for my YZ is backordered so it's in pieces. Now CR250 trans (doing last minute bottom end) won't go together just right. I got ahold of some bad mojo somehow.
Chickengrease is online now   Reply With Quote