ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #1036
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,329
U of I ....

Football on saturday.......

Besides I have ridden my DRZ once around tha backyard since June, I gotta find the training wheels again...
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #1037
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan
So, who's in for LBL 200 this weekend, Land Between the Lakes AMA dual sport?
William and I are going down. If you would like we'll make room in the trailer. Leaving Friday around noon.
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
*2014 Ural Patrol
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #1038
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot
William and I are going down. If you would like we'll make room in the trailer. Leaving Friday around noon.
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated, but I take so much stuff, it is like moving an army. I am going down Thursday and getting a camp spot at Piney.

I will see you guys there sometime. Will.I.Am.42 has my cell # as well.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #1039
dynodon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
OK, stirring the pot a little: GO Salukis! Last time I saw SIU play U of I SIU had a big lead at half and wound up loosing by 60 points!

Hope that doesn't happen again. This should be a pretty close game, even the U of I coach is saying it will be a good experience no matter what happens. Wow, usually the Illini staff just call SIU a practice team!

Wish I could watch it, got to be on the road, maybe I can catch it on radio.

Bark Bark go dawgs!
SIU class of '71 Former marching Saluki
My Avitar? Intake manifold of the V6 Yamaha engine in the 89-95 Ford Taurus SHO. My "cage" love!
dynodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #1040
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,329
Dyno...

As long as Morton whoops on Washington this year I will be OK with the Illini losing. Besides, It's all about the tailgate now....

Morton Potter Class of 1982
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #1041
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oh my God, I killed Kenny!

Doyle says
"You'll need to tell 'em to send an ambulance, too. Or a hearse. ..."

more to follow

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 09-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #1042
KWC
aka "Canadian Karl"

Oddometer: 876
sounds...

...like a good story, did you roost Will.I.Am off the road?

Vinicius de Moraes
KWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #1043
bigborefan
Making new friends

Time will tell.....

Old 09-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #1044
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

LBL Will I am tough man contest!!!!

Well here is the "official" story. It may take a while to tell so get comfortable and enjoy.

First the disclaimer: There were no small farm animals harmed during this ride! (We consider William a large farm animal)

Saturday was a beautiful day! We were only allowed to ride the South half of the originally scheduled ride because of heavy rains in the North half. But we rode the course twice and that made up for any dissapointment. Bigbore was in usual form when early in day one he flew by William and I and gave his usual roost to William and a high outstreched wave to me!
Early on there were some greasy spots but as the day went on everything dried out nicely.

Fast Forward to Day two ............
Just before we departed on Sunday Bigbore found us and was talking favorably about riding with us "old, slow guys". (I think it was just that he had pissed off all of his previous riding buddies)
He was familiar with the route that we were riding and we accepted his leadership, graciously. (otherwise we were going to be hopelessly lost)

A nice quick pace started us off. A little asphalt, a little gravel,

and some trails with great big loose rocks! But not to worry every one came through with flying colors!
We rode the ferry across the lake

and then onto an abondon railroad bed. After that is was some more asphalt untill we arrived at our lunch stop. Wow, we are going too fast ..... it's only 9:30!!!
After lunch we picked up an additional rider. Bigbore had a special entry on his weekend to-do list. It was "make new friends". He was working hard on that one ........ I didn't read the one about killing a current friend.(oops, I'm getting ahead of myself)
Just before blast-off Bigbore hollered back "just follow me, I know a really good trail to get back!"

So like sheep to the slaughter, we followed our fearless leader.

We soon found the extension of the abondon railroad bed and hauled ass down it! Bigbore was first, then me, then William42, and lastly Crashalot.
We hadn't been very far when I noticed what appeared to me to be a bump that Bigbore hit. At 30+ mph I got to the bump and saw that it was more than a bump!

This, crevass was the full width of the road, about six feet acrossed it and about 4 1/2 feet deep.
I was committed so I gassed it, yanked on the handle bars and flew the gap. (I figured if John could do it, why not?)

But it was after I cleared it that I noticed Bigbore sliding to a stop! I stopped behind him and we both turned around to see what was coming! John started waving to warn the guys behind us but ......... too late!

William chose to brake rather than jump.

We watched as the DRZ dove into the hole. William then exibited the classic, textbook "FACEPLANT". I can't even begin to describe what we saw! He fell forward in such a way that his shield on his helmet hit directly on the edge where the crevass began. We ran back to see if he was still alive.
Bigbore went through his pockets but couldn't find any cash so we decided maybe we ought to help him up.

The pictures that follow are after we got his helmet off and made sure that he wasn't going to croak on us!

Here is bigbore attempting an appology

Scary, aint it????

After much rest, and discussion, William was ready to get back on his horse and ride! SLOWLY

Back on the ferry

I'm sure that the soreness and stiffness has set in by now but I am confident that DRZ's and the Old Men that ride them are some tough ole birds!.
*2014 Ural Patrol

vfrpilot screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 09:24 AM
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #1045
bigborefan
Making new friends

I have been riding a long time, and that was THE most violent crash I have ever observed firsthand. I truly thought I had killed the Winnebago Man. But in true Winnebago Man fashion, the first thing he did was cus about ruining a perfectly good ARAI helmet. That helmet saved his life. I hope he replaces it with the exact model.

In all seriousness, William got lucky. He could of been seriously hurt. The pictures do not show the true size of that crater. I felt like an ass for taking that trail as well. I had ridden it in October and it was fine. Lesson learned.

I absoultely felt helpless after jumping it and realizing that William might not be comfortable jumping it. I was in panic mode as too what to do. Do I warn him, and he brakes late and endos, which is what he did, or I do just let him go for it and hope he clears it? What is the universal hand signal for giant crater anyway?

I know I like to have a good time on here and give everyone a hard time, and I am a bit of an abrasive asshole at times, but I have no desire to see anybody get hurt. William is a standup guy and I consider him a friend of mine and I wish to make a public apology to him for my part in this incident. I know things happen, but I feel I played a part here as well, being the trial leader.

Get well soon tough guy!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #1046
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Just a riding accident

I'm just thankful the outcome was such that we can make light of it, and not serious remorse.
John, you did nothing wrong. But let me go on record as saying that you are a stand up guy, for offering an appology.
I told William when I dropped him off at home, "we got some great stories to tell, don't we?" I'm so very thankful that the injurys were minor!
*2014 Ural Patrol
Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #1047
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer: 200
Glad everyone made it home.

Anyone gonna drop $14k on the new thang?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/647/78...irst-Look.aspx

A bit rich for my blood. I may be looking at trading in the DRZ on a Versys or Strom. Any opinions/firsthand experience on the Versys?

"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #1048
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by alma1992
Anyone gonna drop $14k on the new thang?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/647/78...irst-Look.aspx

A bit rich for my blood. I may be looking at trading in the DRZ on a Versys or Strom. Any opinions/firsthand experience on the Versys?
The Versy is great, I have 24000 on mine, only fault is the 17" front. Hard to get a good gravel road tire for that. I put a V Strom front wheel on nine.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #1049
bildhauerboy
rollin the tippy bus

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg
only fault is the 17" front. Hard to get a good gravel road tire for that.
x2 on the 17 front - other than that; the handling, weight, and torque are spot on, i love mine.

if you can find a dealer with a new 09 you can get a hellava deal right now

actually there both good reliable bikes, you cant go real wrong either way -
bildhauerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #1050
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,562
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan
I have been riding a long time, and that was THE most violent crash I have ever observed firsthand. I truly thought I had killed the Winnebago Man. But in true Winnebago Man fashion, the first thing he did was cus about ruining a perfectly good ARAI helmet. That helmet saved his life. I hope he replaces it with the exact model.

In all seriousness, William got lucky. He could of been seriously hurt. The pictures do not show the true size of that crater. I felt like an ass for taking that trail as well. I had ridden it in October and it was fine. Lesson learned.

I absoultely felt helpless after jumping it and realizing that William might not be comfortable jumping it. I was in panic mode as too what to do. Do I warn him, and he brakes late and endos, which is what he did, or I do just let him go for it and hope he clears it? What is the universal hand signal for giant crater anyway?

I know I like to have a good time on here and give everyone a hard time, and I am a bit of an abrasive asshole at times, but I have no desire to see anybody get hurt. William is a standup guy and I consider him a friend of mine and I wish to make a public apology to him for my part in this incident. I know things happen, but I feel I played a part here as well, being the trial leader.

Get well soon tough guy!
Yo Bigbore,

You rode over the ditch with no problem. VFRpilot rode over it with no problem. I didn't think I could jump it and tried to stop. That didn't work. You sure as hell don't owe me any apology. It was a great ride.

The new Arai is on order.

I want to thank you, VFRpilot and Bill from Indiana for hauling the DR-Z out of that ditch. I don't think I could have ridden it out.