User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
hicksamunga OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Talking F800GS vs XL700 vs DL650

Anyone know if these bikes have been compared by magazines or websites i've been searching around here but can't find any decent head to head comparisons

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hicksa...3013893?ref=ts

hicksamunga screwed with this post 10-04-2008 at 10:33 PM
hicksamunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksamunga
Anyone know if these bikes have been compared by magazines or websites i've been searching around here but can't find any decent head to head comparisons

there's a small review of the XLV 700 Honda Translap, Yamaha Tenere XTZ660, R1200GSA, Triumph Stelvio, Benelli Trek, etc in the November edition of Cycleworld, but no DL650 or F800GS. sad... was looking for this comparison too..

any one any idea?
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,680
UK magazine "Two Wheels Only" tested and compared XL700V Transalp, XT660Z Ténéré and F800GS. Conclusion:

"At the end of the day, we have three very different motorcycles suitable for riders with different needs... The Honda will belong to ladies, pensioners, dispatch riders and will disappoint few of its riders. It wont affect the pulse but will deliver you to your destination in comfort.

The GS is a bloody gem of a bike. It was the one bike that each rider had to be prised off... The F800GS is a truly exceptional motorcycle, and one that's certain to get more people on to bikes like this."
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
nat_han

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
UK magazine "Two Wheels Only" tested and compared XL700V Transalp, XT660Z Ténéré and F800GS. Conclusion:

"At the end of the day, we have three very different motorcycles suitable for riders with different needs... The Honda will belong to ladies, pensioners, dispatch riders and will disappoint few of its riders. It wont affect the pulse but will deliver you to your destination in comfort.

The GS is a bloody gem of a bike. It was the one bike that each rider had to be prised off... The F800GS is a truly exceptional motorcycle, and one that's certain to get more people on to bikes like this."
Great! glad i made that choice too! haha..
if only "Two Wheels Only" was available to me here in SE asia..

may i know the month of the magazine issue? november?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han
... may i know the month of the magazine issue? november?
Sure, September 2008. The article is called "Short Way Round", pages 42 to 49.

http://www.visordown.com/editorial/e...Latest%20issue
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
easyman05
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
UK magazine "Two Wheels Only" "
Like this magazie but was subscribed to BIKE only. Have bought a year subscription of TWO just now. :)
Thanks!
easyman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
nat_han

Quote:
Sure, September 2008. The article is called "Short Way Round", pages 42 to 49.

http://www.visordown.com/editorial/e...Latest%20issue
thanks much wildman!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
beep

Oddometer: n/a
I've ridden the Transalp, Vstrom and F650GS (800 twin). Very difficult to choose between them, but I'll probably end up going for the Vstrom which is certainly better than Transalp in virtually every aspect except offroad ability and build quality. It was a lot closer with the BMW, which felt a like a lighter version of the Vstrom with sharper handling. I won't be going for the BMW, simply because it's a bit pricey and am not happy buying a bike in the first year of production. But it's fractionally better than the Vstrom in many aspects, but not enough to justify the extra money. But the Suzuki is noticeably more comfortable than both of them. All bikes are very easy to ride onroad.

As for the F800GS, I suspect this is in a different league, in terms of outright performance and offroad ability. But it is expensive.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 970
What's the power output of the DL650, the new '650' beemer is 71hp. I suspect that for most people it may actually be a better bike than the much more soughtafter 800. And the price of the BMW 650 at $8255 base vs. $6999 for the Wee isn't too far off considering brand 'perception' and in reality a longer warranty.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
Chader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
The DL650 ranges from 60-65hp from various tests I have seen.
Chader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Someone recently posted HP ratings for the 650 twin, vs the DL and the BMW is rated at 65 @ the wheel, & my 05 Wee was dynoed at 64 @ the wheel with 6000 miles on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean
What's the power output of the DL650, the new '650' beemer is 71hp. I suspect that for most people it may actually be a better bike than the much more soughtafter 800. And the price of the BMW 650 at $8255 base vs. $6999 for the Wee isn't too far off considering brand 'perception' and in reality a longer warranty.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #12
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,629
i disagree re: the twin-650... I think a year from now it will be solidly cast as the ladies version of the real thing.... the mad boys will be on the F800GS all farkled out

and such reviews, while provided lite entertainment, are seldom realworld. I would gladly enjoy chasing the testers of any of the aforementioned, mounted upon my lowly 97 DR. they would never shake it off
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #13
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 970
"I think a year from now it will be solidly cast as the ladies version of the real thing"

I think it already is being cast that way with the color choices. What I am saying is that for the amount of time that most people (myself included) spend off-road, or use that 14hp advantage the 650 would be a better bike.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote