User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
murph76 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
lights

took the halogens out of my2010 after 1st year....replaced with 1OffMotorsports hid now its burned out...do any of you know if bmw has gone to hid or led for new bikes or is their now a direct bulb replacement for the halogens,,,,i kinda browsed the links threads and didnt find anything besides the hid ballist replacement bs that ive already done...any help would be appreciated and no im not adding lights either when the headlights should be enough ...thanks
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
I was about to link to the three major threads floating around here on this topic, but they are right here on the first two pages. Just look around, this has been discussed ad nauseum, and it is a known fact that running HIDs will burn the reflector. I will summarize your options:

1) Get a new OEM halogen housing ~400 bucks
2) Try to retrofit the R1200GS led lights ~ a grand and maybe more
3) Buy mr carbon fiber's headlights from the flea market.
sarathmenon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I think the only motorcycle headlights worth a damn on their own are the VStrom and Goldwing, but that's just my opinion.

The water boxer has an LED headlight. The assembly is about $1300 and I don't think it would work with your wiring. The K1600 has an adaptive HID.

Cyclops adventure sports sells an H7 LED replacement bulb that people seem to be happy with. Check it out over in the vendors section.

One of the members here was selling a custom light housing with a Hella 60mm projector for low and a Cyclops long range LED lamp for high in the flea market.

Other than that, the only other options are replacing the HID parts or sticking with halogen and adding some good driving lights.

Play around with aiming the headlight if you haven't already. I know my bike and several others came with the light basically aimed at the ground. May help.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
murph76 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
lights

yeah just got done surfing through the cyclops led direct replacement lights...he has a problem with the high beam cap that hes going to work on or source a deeper cap from somewhere then their good to go and ill buy a set looks like a better idea than throwing ballist all over the outside of the housing......and 1300.00 for the new 1200gs led set up is just plain highway robbery
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
yeah just got done surfing through the cyclops led direct replacement lights...he has a problem with the high beam cap that hes going to work on or source a deeper cap from somewhere then their good to go and ill buy a set looks like a better idea than throwing ballist all over the outside of the housing......and 1300.00 for the new 1200gs led set up is just plain highway robbery
Get Erling's lights then. It's affordable considering that he has high quality lights (it will cost you a decent amount of dough to just buy the projectors), it's a custom carbon fiber job, bolts on to the stock bike and it outputs a shit ton of light. I remember seeing his pics after the build, that thing is a lighthouse.
sarathmenon is online now   Reply With Quote