Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
soren_dk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
So, you traded your R1200GS in for a new F800GS instead ... share your thoughs plz..

My current bike : 2005 R1200GS Adventurised (everything except suspension and altenator). Custom green painjob, 97.000 kilometers on the clock. It's in the shop right now to have the front shaft joint replaced ... first major problem I've had with it.

I ride less than 5% off tarmac, but would like to do more off-road, if possible ... (not many opportunities in Denmark -- everything is either plowed or paved..)

The new 2014 F800GS Adventure caught my eye. So I took a regular 2008 F800GS for a test ride -- nice bike, feels small compared to the R1200GS Adv (obviously).

So what was your experience changing from the R1200GS to the F800GS? Regrets? Did your riding style change? Do you find yourself doing stuff and going places you didn't before? Do you feel the difference in HP?

...and don't just tell me that the R1200GS is better for long distance, highway touring and the F800GS i better in the dirt ... I know ... also, don't just tell me to get the new R1200GS-W instead, it costs a fecking fortune over here ...
Old 06-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Made the switch two years ago and haven't regretted it. The F800GS is slightly more buzzy at highway speeds but acceptable. Around town it's WAAAAAY better than the R1200GSA.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,043
Yes, the F800GS is more narrow, it's lighter and less expensive; and that's about it! It does great around town and for solo touring, especially secondary, non-interstate touring. If I had never owned a R1200GS or never went off-road before buying the 800, I would probably be happy with it for years. But, it has NO flywheel weight, it takes more skill to ride off-road well than the 1200GS due to the narrow friction zone and minimal torque at low RPM's. I was also surprised when I bought it on how awful the suspension is, how easily I bent the rims (repeatedly) and the terrible throttle response; which was made much better with the HTC Booster and a 15T front sprocket.
I sold my 2005 R1200GS about 18 months ago and purchased a 2009 non adventure F800GS. I have put 6,000 miles on the 800 doing everything from single track in the woods, goofing off on the MX track (yes I'm serious), commuting and a 2,000 tour of the Blue Ridge mountains in 5 days last month.
The R1200GS is better on the highway, in the twisties, on gravel, and on easy trails in the woods, period. It's totally calm at 80 mph versus the 800 that buzzes at 80+, the 1200 is better for two up riding, it has a more plush ride, better wind protection, and it's clutch is much easier to modulate both on and (especially) off-road due to the heavier flywheel, it makes much more electrical power for gadgets and heated gear. Yes, it's heavier; but I find it much easier to actually use the bike off-road. I placed 12th in the USA GS Trophy qualifier a couple of years ago on my 1200, last year I ended up somewhere around 25th. I partially blame it on the 800 being so much harder to ride well on very technical terrain. (The Recluse clutch would cure this)
Instead of spending $6000 on a set of Woody's wheels, installation of a Recluse clutch and a set of Ohlins suspension , I will probably spend that money to buy a new (to me) 2011-2014 R1200GS when the right deal pops up.

Keep the 1200 and get some fresh TKC's...

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 07:50 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
TeachMcNeil
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Eddy has some good thoughts, although I strongly disagree with the off-road aspect. In my experience, the 800 is far more enjoyable off road and much easier to handle.

It is lighter and more maneuverable in almost any situation off road. I am dropping a tooth up front on mine, but I am consistently riding in 2nd gear through most of the technical stuff I ride: powerlines, rocks/roots, single track, mostly 450 type stuff, etc and simply lugging the bike...which it does well without breaking traction.

the one area where the 12 is equal or possibly better (read more fun) than the 8 off road is dirt roads...you can spin up the rear much easier on the 12.

Longer highway rides, two up and fully freighted are all areas where the 1200 will outshine the 800, but around town, trails and slower stuff, imo the 800 wins hands down.

in the twisties, the 12 is more enjoyable bc of the power, but both can be ridden fast and smoke most sport bikes.

I too, was torn between the new 12 and the 8, and ultimately purchased the 8; although I ride a fair bit of the 12 myself. 5k price difference doesn't hurt either.

here's a bit of action on the 12...one day of riding like this and I was spent. This is mild to the type of stuff I ride daily on the 8.

either way, you can't go wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZ5YqG7hls
Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
I just witnessed the same debate over at the 1200 GS forum. I own both a 1200 and an 800. If I had to have just one bike it would be the 800. Much better off pavement, much lighter feeling bike on and off pavement. The fact it is less powerful does not change the fact it has plenty of power and the 1200 more power than you need. The only time the 1200 is better is if you have to take some boring ride on the interstate. Then its better weather protection and smother engine counts for something. Note I have a Sargent seat on both bikes. Dave
Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
soren_dk OP
Studly Adventurer

interesting points ...

certainly some thoughts there I hadn't expected and not read/heard before -- Eddy's comments especially ..

is the 800 lighter though? The 2004 GS (before sticking all sorts of Adventure bits on it) was 199kg, the new 800 Adv. is listed ad 229kg. And the 1200 was 100 Hp (10 years ago) transmitted through a shaft drive, the 800 is 85 through a chain ...

... I'm still not decided at all -- the 12 is by far the best bike I've ever had ... and the one I've had for the longest. But it is pushing on 100k kilometers and 10 years of age.

I ride to/from work (80 miles on motorway) 1-3 times a week and other than than - just round and about the countryside -- almost exclusively tarmac. I will take a 1 week trip once, maybe twice a year somewhere in Europe. 95% of the time, I ride 1-up. 95% I ride on tarmac. 90% of the time, I wish I was riding off road in Tibet instead

The idea of doing more off-road stuff appeals to me, but there not a lot of it around within ~500+ miles. ... (I could always get a cheap pure off-road second bike, i suppose ...)

But the F800GS is new, feels lighter (even it isn't?).,

...did I get a reply from the actual Chris 'Teach' McNeil .. the rider in the video.. ? (or just a fan of his?) ...

soren_dk screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 08:29 AM
soren_dk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,338
Velkommen til 800 forumet....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
soren_dk OP
Studly Adventurer

tak :-) Dansker i USA?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by soren_dk View Post
tak :-) Dansker i USA?
Indeed. Oerken rotte... Bor i El Paso,TX.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
soren_dk OP
Studly Adventurer

skulle have kigget forbi ...

... jeg var i Seattle sidste måned ... det ville da have været en fin tur til El Paso .. du må lige sige til hvis du kommer home to the old country ...
- Søren
Old 06-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Hvad er du to fyre op til?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I'mway otnay uresay atwhay ouyay uysgay areway ayingsay, utbay Iway inkthay ethay RAY1200GSAY isway ootay argelay orfay ardcorehay offroadway useway.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,585

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
WyldKard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I bought the 1200GS in 2004, and replaced it with the anniversary model 800GS in 2010. The _only_ time I miss the 1200GS is when I'm on the highway for long hauls, and that's very infrequent. Most of my riding is still on tarmac (though I keep saying this will change soon), but the 800GS has plenty of power for all the riding I do. When the weather is nice in the summer, my wife will even ride on back, and neither of us have any complaints. I've hauled bags of mulch on the back with full saddle bags, commuted in ridiculous VA winter temps, and admit I enjoy this bike more than I did the 1200GS overall.

I'm reasonably certain that replacing the stock windshield with something taller would help with highway travels. I do notice the smaller gas tank, but again, for typical jaunts around town this isn't an issue. I was almost tempted to upgrade to the 800GSA when it came out, but I don't think the advantages are significant enough.

The biggest advantage for me is that I feel a lot more in-control of the 800GS. I don't know if it's because the bike is narrower or because of the decreased weight, but the bike feels a lot more nimble.
WyldKard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
I'mway otnay uresay atwhay ouyay uysgay areway ayingsay, utbay Iway inkthay ethay RAY1200GSAY isway ootay argelay orfay ardcorehay offroadway useway.