Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
GPHusky250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Touratech Extreme Suspension Installed....pretty tall!

Got the rear Touratech suspension installed after installing the Fork Cartridges last week. Initial impression....it's very TALL! I'm thinking maybe additional 1.5 inches even with correctly set sag.

When on a kickstand, the bike lean over much farther and it's not inconceivable that it puts undo pressure on the side stand mount. That will have to be corrected.

Sitting on the bike on flat and level ground I'm on my tippy toes...if the bike started to go over, there's probably not much I could do to keep it off the ground....but that's always been an issue with my short legs.

I took it around the block...front dives more when stopping with the front brake...the front and rear combo seems very smooth going over speed bumps. I was surprised. The stock front tends to bounce over speed bumps...the cartridges absorb the bump...but it might could use a little less rebound damping....or the affect when the forks return to normal quicker. I may have my logic backwards though.

Going around turns the bike feels more planted...that was the odd thing...before...on the street in and parking lots it just never felt right making sharp turns. Had to be careful. That feeling has gone away...it seems to stick no matter how sharp you turn..

That's my initial impression in front of the house. I'm probably going to go down to Baja at the end of the month and I'll be able to give a better impression of the change over. In short...the suspension seems more like a modern 450...plush.

Looks like I may have to invest in a low seat...that get's me back an inch....definitely going to have add at least an inch to the kickstand. I remember telling someone earlier that on stock bikes you really didn't need to add to the kickstand because of the many different lays of the land you'll encounter...maybe was wrong...but I can say that I'll need to add to the kickstand.

I sure wish there was a way to add an inch to my Sidi boots. :)

I'm open to all suggestions to tame the height. :)
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,334
You can slide your fork tubes up in the triple clamps 20 mm safely.
Also start playing with your dampening settings to adjust for excessive front end dive. I start fully undamped and slowly turn up compression and rebound a click at a time and keep riding it for a whole day to get it set up for your riding. Also check that you don't have too much preload on the front fork springs (rider sag should be set around 35% of the total stroke) . Then get used to the slightly taller ride and enjoy!

Great looking bike. Love the red color!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
GPHusky250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
You can slide your fork tubes up in the triple clamps 20 mm safely.
Also start playing with your dampening settings to adjust for excessive front end dive. I start fully undamped and slowly turn up compression and rebound a click at a time and keep riding it for a whole day to get it set up for your riding. Also check that you don't have too much preload on the front fork springs (rider sag should be set around 35% of the total stroke) . Then get used to the slightly taller ride and enjoy!

Great looking bike. Love the red color!
Thank you. I will follow your suggestions.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:13 AM   #4
MazeWSP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Have you tried slow seat. I had the same issue but got the low seat version and can easily plant my feet now barefoot. It is a little more uncomfortable but the inch is worth it. You can also get a touatech lower shocks and drop it another inch or so but it will kill your front suspension range
MazeWSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,387
GP, I'm probably not going to be much help here. You and I are running the same suspension set up, though I am on a 2010 model. I do have a Seat Concepts saddle which is lower than my OEM adv banana saddle but it barely made a difference.

At 5'8" and a 30" inseam myself, I haven't flat footed a bike in ages. Two toes on the ground or one foot is all I get.

I've gotten used to it and it's just not that big a deal to me anymore.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
PastRedline
Wanderer

Oddometer: 49
I don't have any suggestions on taming the height, but for the kickstand problem, if you don't want to spend a ton of money, I just drilled a couple holes in the kickstand foot and mounted a hockey puck. Cost a whole $5. And when it wears out, I'll just buy another hockey puck.

Adds about an inch to the sidestand (which countered the rise I got from good suspension and an 18" rear wheel) and it gives you a nice platform - doesn't sink in on soft ground. Leans about as much as stock again.

-Kyle
Old 01-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
GPHusky250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastRedline View Post
I don't have any suggestions on taming the height, but for the kickstand problem, if you don't want to spend a ton of money, I just drilled a couple holes in the kickstand foot and mounted a hockey puck. Cost a whole $5. And when it wears out, I'll just buy another hockey puck.

Adds about an inch to the sidestand (which countered the rise I got from good suspension and an 18" rear wheel) and it gives you a nice platform - doesn't sink in on soft ground. Leans about as much as stock again.

-Kyle
Interesting idea. I'll have to find a hockey puck to experiment with. Sports Authority, here I come.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Fin333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
GPHusky250,

What information did you supply about yourself and the set-up for the TT rear Shock? Did they ask for your weight and other items to help them configure the shock to you?

Or are they off the shelf and ready to go as they have a ton of adjustment in them?

Thanks for answering.
Fin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
GPHusky250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin333 View Post
GPHusky250,

What information did you supply about yourself and the set-up for the TT rear Shock? Did they ask for your weight and other items to help them configure the shock to you?

Or are they off the shelf and ready to go as they have a ton of adjustment in them?

Thanks for answering.
I gave them all the parameters...weight and so on. Granted it's a tall bike to begin with..but the TT setup made it taller...and I'm not growing anymore. :)

The bike leans over so far now that my short legs can't get it up vertical. The hockey puck idea will help since I can get it vertical by putting a 2x4 underneath the kickstand, then I can climb on, get in my tippy toes and get it vertical. Once on the bike it sags about 75mm.

I'll get this sorted out eventually...no one rides with their feet on the ground but occasionally you have to stop...which even before required thoughtful concentration. :)

I'm talking with TT, the guys at Konflict and James at Renazco Dualsports Seats.
Could go with a lower BMW seat, a custom seat or have the suspension lowered by an inch....or a combination of the two. I'm no shock or suspension expert, but it never dawned on me that new suspension would increase the ride height. Silly me.

Eventually I'll get this sorted out.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 963
In my experience they definitely spring it on the higher side of things. There was a slight height increase when I mounted the shock and this is due to the spring being much heavier too. Not enough in my case to affect the side stand at all though in fact I only noticed it in the bike sagging less. That's with filling out the form. If I had my choice I would probably go down in the spring one 50lb increment because when I ride the roughest off-road stuff it's typically (hopefully!) not with a lot of gear on board. I can't fault them for going heavier but it would be better balanced with the front and there is such a wide pre-load adjustment. That was one of the reasons I went TT.

As far as performance I was stunned at the difference! As you said much more "planted" and smooth. It's so much less jarring and controlled in the dirt too.

Make sure you're pre-load is out all the way when you're solo/no gear and check the sag as Indy mentioned. You can always go lighter in the spring if necc.

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 01-06-2015 at 04:04 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 7,201
Seat suggestion.......go with Seat Concepts. I have had three of them on different bikes and loved everyone of them.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #12
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,789
If you need the side stand modded PM me, I have the means to take care of that for you.

I'm in zip 91740

You can easily get thicker soles added to your boots as well, a very good all around option to gain height in addition to a slightly lower seat.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
If you need the side stand modded PM me, I have the means to take care of that for you.

I'm in zip 91740

You can easily get thicker soles added to your boots as well, a very good all around option to gain height in addition to a slightly lower seat.
I knew a rather short gal who had 2" platforms built onto the bottom of her riding boots just for this reason. She didn't lift the arch area so it didn't affect shifting (it did rather lock her feet into place but that's another story)

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Which extreme shock did you get? Their website has two extremes one each for the non-adv and adv. The adv says it's more compact.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
GPHusky250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70East View Post
Which extreme shock did you get? Their website has two extremes one each for the non-adv and adv. The adv says it's more compact.
I purchased the Touratech In-Line Extreme Rear Shock, BMW F800GS Adventure, 2013-on Part Number: 048-5874

Let me know if you need any more info. I just installed this and the TT Fork Cartridges and the instructions are woefully inadequate.