Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #226
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Oddometer: 593
At least with Metzeler Karoo rear I had to stand on the side peg (I'm 220lbs) and "hang" on the bike to get the sidestand trick to work in the garage. Bike needed to be about 15 degrees leaned, and it was much more force than I expected, especially after watching a couple of you tube videos where the sidestand popped the bead like nothing.

I couldn't imagine having to do the sidestand dance on the side of a trail... I also tried the "2x4 method" and other tricks over the course of 2 hours, so needless to say a tool of some sort isn't looking all that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Thanks for the center stand tip, I'm happy to not have to carry another tool.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #227
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
FYI... if you are prepping for a long trip you may want to upgrade to the 10mm Allen key drain plug. It is much less likely to strip in the field. The 24mm plug is weak... from experience!
Also, the monster torx for the rear lower shock bolt will fit in the drain plug fairly securely.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #228
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Probably going to get a Motion-Pro bead popper:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...ry/tire_wheel/

$20 well spent and not hard. Been trailside with the sidestand. It works but is a PITA.

Also considering the rim shields. Can make something similar out of an old plastic bottle (oil jug or shampoo). For $11.50 for something that works and saves the scratches & cussing. LOL!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #229
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post

$20 well spent and not hard. Been trailside with the sidestand. It works but is a PITA.
I've been breaking the bead like this the last years and I think it works great. The twist makes You much stronger compared to just using the tire irons. I usually use a rug between the spanner and the rim to avoid scratches.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #230
Oddward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:

Also considering the rim shields. Can make something similar out of an old plastic bottle (oil jug or shampoo). For $11.50 for something that works and saves the scratches & cussing. LOL!

I have the bead popper. It works. I have the rim protectors. They work but are somewhat cumbersome and none too compact. Also every use shaves off bits of blue plastic. Guess that is better than bits of rim.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #231
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
I have the Motion Pro (blue) version of that bead popper and it works great. I've never found an easier way to break the bead on a tire. Even a tire with stiff sidewalls like the Heidenau K60 pops off like butter. I tried the sidestand method, but you've got to be some sort of masochist to put yourself through that. Get the bead popper! Seriously. It's cheap and takes up next to no space in your tool kit. Works every time.

How exactly do you use the bead popper to get the heavy K60s off? I have one and I tried it... didn't work. It worked fine on the front tire for me... Maybe I don't have the right technique... ?
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #232
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
I'm with Ender on that one. Didn't work for me either, those bad boys are friggin on there. Depending on how stiff the tire sidewall is, the blue rim protectors will get cut through as well. I switched to a small swatch of leather and that has been effective.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #233
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
How exactly do you use the bead popper to get the heavy K60s off? I have one and I tried it... didn't work. It worked fine on the front tire for me... Maybe I don't have the right technique... ?
In the garage I've whacked it with a 3 lb. mallet, pops the bead nicely. But out on the trail (which I haven't done) I imagine any heavy, blunt object would do. I've just had Woody seal my rear tire, so I hope I'll never have to pop the bead on anything but the front from now on. Knock wood.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #234
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Well, I can say for sure it's much less effective when struck with a rock or hunk of firewood (I'll stop there so I don't embarrass myself further)! And wear a glove when trying that- DAMHIK.
Eventually the guys in the next campsite will stop laughing long enough to bring over a hatchet to get it done.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #235
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
I've been breaking the bead like this the last years and I think it works great. The twist makes You much stronger compared to just using the tire irons. I usually use a rug between the spanner and the rim to avoid scratches.
that is a great alt to breaking bead! I cut up milk jugs to keep the scratches to a min. I have also started carrying A 3"x3" piece of thin tarp.. It came in handy last saturday.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #236
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Nice to see You struggeling with a tire change out in the woods At least You made it!

If You need to replace the tube it's a lot easier if You remove the tire completely, mount the tube inside the tyre, inflate it a bit and then fit the air outlet (is it called that?) in the rim and mount the tire. That saves You a lot of time and cursing
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #237
backroadsandbeyond
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
All i need is cell phone, bcca member #, and perhaps visa
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #238
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,736
We struggled with the tube for about a min. we will try it with the tire off next time. None of it was a struggle really.. So far we have had fun with most of our hiccups on the trail. I probably jinxed us now. Some carry a stem puller . It takes a second to pull it.

We tend to feed off of each other's strife in these situations. Video helps

bloochdog screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 07:44 AM
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #239
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
When I have some time I am going to go through and update the "Recommended Toolkit" from this list...

one thing I've been looking at carrying is a set few of these:

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr....jsp?part=9230

Though mislabeled on the site they are a socket adapter for a grearwrench. Basically it converts any brand ratcheting box wrench (gearwrench, craftsman, etc.) into a ratcheting socket handle.

Sort of thinking this will reduce the size and weight of the toolkit I carry. Kit cost $10 at sears and includes all three. Figure that along with a few adapters from 1/4 to 3/8 and reverse and I have a nice small size kit that will work in most any situation.

Any thoughts?

Also I need a good recommendation on a tool roll. Just added a pelican case 1400 as a rear trunk box and the tool bag I use is a bit too big. A good tool roll will work perfect.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #240
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
Adapters

I have those and they work but they sure don't feel too solid. It is nice that they weigh nothing and store right in the wrench.

Quote:
When I have some time I am going to go through and update the "Recommended Toolkit" from this list...

one thing I've been looking at carrying is a set few of these:

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr....jsp?part=9230

Though mislabeled on the site they are a socket adapter for a grearwrench. Basically it converts any brand ratcheting box wrench (gearwrench, craftsman, etc.) into a ratcheting socket handle.

Sort of thinking this will reduce the size and weight of the toolkit I carry. Kit cost $10 at sears and includes all three. Figure that along with a few adapters from 1/4 to 3/8 and reverse and I have a nice small size kit that will work in most any situation.

Any thoughts?

Also I need a good recommendation on a tool roll. Just added a pelican case 1400 as a rear trunk box and the tool bag I use is a bit too big. A good tool roll will work perfect.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote